Adding food to MFP question?

I am adding a couple of items to the site and wondered:

Is potassium the same as salt? the packet I have has salt but no mention of potassium, whereas the site has potassium.
also
How does the cholesterol work - I haven't seen cholesterol mentioned on UK food products so - does the site automatically work it out from the other info input or do I have to work it out, if so how do I do it?

Hope I haven't confused you all with my rambling questions.

Thank you all :-).

Replies

• leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    No potassium is not salt (that is sodium). Potassium is an electrolyte which is why many athletes eat bananas (full of potassium) during athletic activities.

Check this link: http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/potassium-and-your-heart

I haven't used the cholesterol tool here so I'm not certain how that works.
  • Linda490
    Linda490 Posts: 12
    Thanks for your reply, I spent so much time concentrating on calories that my cholesterol was going sky high so this is the main part I need.
    I will try the link you sent me - thank you :-)
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Thanks for your reply, I spent so much time concentrating on calories that my cholesterol was going sky high so this is the main part I need.
    I will try the link you sent me - thank you :-)
    Dietary cholesterol does not affect blood cholesterol...
  • Linda490
    Oh right - I didn't know that - I told my GP I was watching what I eat and she didn't query it ! :-)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    You can only add what's on the packet - if it doesnt mention potassium (not standard in Aust) then leave it blank.
    It's helpful to fill in as much info as you have but that is all you can do.
    Just a word of advice - please double check the database before you enter new products, there are soooooo many duplicates already!
  • Luvmyhubby222
    Luvmyhubby222 Posts: 149 Member
    I have been checking the database, finding my food,same serving size, but when I plug it in many times it is more than what I am looking at in my hand (on the package). I chalk it up to margin of error.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    I have been checking the database, finding my food,same serving size, but when I plug it in many times it is more than what I am looking at in my hand (on the package). I chalk it up to margin of error.

Or the company has changed their recipe or their serving size or it's a regional variation from another country..... a lot of it is a guessing game! I work on the theory that everything we log is an estimate and that some entries will be over, others will be under and they should balance each other out!
  • Linda490
    I did notice all the duplicates - so I am being careful :-)
  • Linda490
    If this is coorect then why did my practice nurse tell me to cut down on cream and the like - and why do they give you a fact sheet of foods to avoid?

Regards :-)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    If this is coorect then why did my practice nurse tell me to cut down on cream and the like - and why do they give you a fact sheet of foods to avoid?

That has been the traditional approach to lowering cholesterol, that and drugs.

http://www.drbriffa.com/2012/04/30/prominent-cardiologist-reveals-some-of-the-the-flaws-in-conventional-cholesterol-wisdom/ is worth a read, and there's a video.

My total cholesterol is 5.05, I get more than half my calories from oils and fats but eat little carbohydrate.
  • Luvmyhubby222
    Luvmyhubby222 Posts: 149 Member

Or the company has changed their recipe or their serving size or it's a regional variation from another country..... a lot of it is a guessing game! I work on the theory that everything we log is an estimate and that some entries will be over, others will be under and they should balance each other out!

Agreed. I actually add 200 cals in snacks every day, just to be safe. :bigsmile: