24hr water fast

Options
swt0pie
swt0pie Posts: 366 Member
what are your views on 24hour water fast? have you ever tried it?

Replies

• brent4722
    brent4722 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've not tried it but being a nurse it doesn't sound like the best approach to a weight loss program or let's say a change in lifestyle program. Your body will crave energy and in doing so will burn muscle instead of fat because it's easier for the bosy to metabolize the muscle. Just my thought. Goodluck.
  • swt0pie
    Options
    I read an article online and it doesn't seem like a bad idea to boost weight loss
  • ShwetaK2130
    ShwetaK2130 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Well I would say .. Not healthy .. You not only deprieve yourself of nutritions .. but also make yourself weak and dizzy ..
    I tried to do it .. But left it half day through .. I was feeling dizzy even while getting up a chair ..
    My suggestion.. Go on a fruit diet or liquid diet... :))
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    what is a water diet anyone?
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

I do 24 hour fasts on a bi weekly basis and have had incredible success with it.

24 hour fast would be a type of Intermittent Fasting, which many users on this website are interested in or practice in different forms. 24 hour fasts will not harm your metabolism, actually some studies suggest fat burning improves after a certain number of hours without food. Our body was not actually meant to be in a constantly 'fed' state. I suggest you read about Intermittent Fasting before you start so you are well equipped to understand the process your body goes through in a fasted state. It's also important that you don't compensate your fasts by overeating and negating the caloric deficit. Good luck.
  • swt0pie
    Options

I do 24 hour fasts on a bi weekly basis and have had incredible success with it.

24 hour fast would be a type of Intermittent Fasting, which many users on this website are interested in or practice in different forms. 24 hour fasts will not harm your metabolism, actually some studies suggest fat burning improves after a certain number of hours without food. Our body was not actually meant to be in a constantly 'fed' state. I suggest you read about Intermittent Fasting before you start so you are well equipped to understand the process your body goes through in a fasted state. It's also important that you don't compensate your fasts by overeating and negating the caloric deficit. Good luck.

interesting, thank you
  • littlebluej
    littlebluej Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I concur with HonkyTonks. A single 24 fast isn't going to hurt you. However, if you are new to fasting, you might want to start slow (14 hours, 16 hours, 18 hours) and see how you feel from there.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Just be sensible and exercise and the weight will fall off. X
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

interesting, thank you

I should add that 24 hours is probably the most you should fast for (as a general rule)
  • swt0pie
    Options
    I concur with HonkyTonks. A single 24 fast isn't going to hurt you. However, if you are new to fasting, you might want to start slow (14 hours, 16 hours, 18 hours) and see how you feel from there.

yeah I don't think I'm able to do a whole 24 hr at once. thanks :)
  • Malaika946
    Malaika946 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried fasting I did a 36hour fast and loved it. For the first time in a ling time actually slept through the night. It did me no harm and will definately fast again if I am up for it.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting, where you still eat your recommended calories overall, but in a different time scale, fine. Randomly cutting out a days worth of calories every so often, probably not such a good idea. Not for weight loss purposes anyway (I know people do it for spiritual reasons.) Your body needs fuel, and a small calorie deficit is best, especially at your size.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I was fasting for 36h give or take (for one whole day, so eating dinner, skipping all meals nexe day and then breaking fast with breakfast) and didn't really ease to it, just did it, once a week for a year.

Fastin longer (fe 72h is recommended for cancer prevention)
    Fasting shorter amount of time (but over 20h) makes you insuline sensitive and lowers the risk of diabetes (type II).

fasting is awsome, helps you to learn to deal with hunger, makes eating healthy easier (because when you don't have acess to healthy food you can choose to just skip a meal) might help with weight loss a lot - if you are used to massive meals it's easier to reduce number of meals instead of reducing calories for every meal and going always hungry and never feeling like you had enough

look here for more info
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/49-intermittent-fasting
  • swt0pie
    Options
    Intermittent fasting, where you still eat your recommended calories overall, but in a different time scale, fine. Randomly cutting out a days worth of calories every so often, probably not such a good idea. Not for weight loss purposes anyway (I know people do it for spiritual reasons.) Your body needs fuel, and a small calorie deficit is best, especially at your size.

Maybe I'll try that instead. thanks
  • Qattusa
    Qattusa Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I did IF (Intermittent Fasting) a lot and had a lot of success with it. Generally i would do it once or twice a week. I stopped after surgery as I stayed at home a lot (I generally need to be busy to do IF).

There is a group on here called, funnily enough, Intermittent Fasting. They will offer a wealth of advice and you can look back at all the past topics. If you are new to fasting, generally the best option is to skip breakfast then have a late lunch till your body gets used to it.

Intermittent fasting isn't about eating far less calories, as you still eat your recommended amount. You are already quite slight, ergo, you shouldn't go without food for long as you will feel the effects faster than someone who has a higher fat ratio.

Let me know how you get along!
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options

Fastin longer (fe 72h is recommended for cancer prevention)

Do you have a reference for this? This seems like a pretty impressive claim.
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for 2 years. Check out Eat-stop-eat and leangains.com. There's also an intermittent fasting group here on MFP where you can get more information.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I do them all the time.

Makes me feel great!
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I do intermittant fasting a few times a week. Most of the time just a 16-18 hour fast, but I'll do a 24 hour fast every so often.

Check out the intermittant fasting group here on MFP... very helpful!

EDIT: Here's the link! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/49-intermittent-fasting
  • Blackbird16
    Blackbird16 Posts: 68
    Options
    I think fasting's great, I occaisonally even do it just to clear my head