...Can a hookup turn into something more?

Options
hush7hush
hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
I just want everyone's opinion.

Do you think that a casual hookup could ever turn into something else?

(Back story for anyone that cares)

-I met this guy about a year ago. Him and I saw each other around a few times before we ended up hooking up. It has become a sort of re-occuring thing now. Whenever we're both single and we run into each other we end up going home together. The last time this happened something sort of strange happened. We didn't go straight to bed as always. Instead we kind of sat around and talked a lot. About everything. He said we should hang out during the day. "Grab dinner or see a movie or something." He said he doesn't like the fact that we only hang out when we run into each other, and that he'd like to see me more often. Should I find this strange? Or just that he'd like to hook up more often?

It's got me over thinking a bit. I just need unbiased opinions. :D

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I don't find anything strange about it. I can't imagine being with a person intimately and not ever wanting to have at least a bit of a connection on a more than physical level. The long talk would seem to indicate that it isn't just about hooking up more frequently.

Just my opinion.
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Of course hook ups can turn into something more.

Here's a little background on my current relationship.
    I was friends with my current bf's friends before I ever even met him. He was coming home from boot camp and all of his friends dragged me along to go pick him up out of town. Everyone told us we would hit it off blah blah blah, I saw a picture of him and said nope, not my type at all. I met him and of course everyone was right, we hooked up the second day of knowing each other. Of course I didn't know where it would take us, but we will be together 5 year in October.

See where it takes you, might be something great! (:
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I don't find anything strange about it. I can't imagine being with a person intimately and not ever wanting to have at least a bit of a connection on a more than physical level. The long talk would seem indicate that it isn't just about hooking up more frequently.

Just my opinion.

I agree
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    He likes you. Now figure out if you like him. If you do go be happy.
  • hush7hush
    Options
    Trying to figure out how I feel about it is even more confusing
  • selfishshellfish
    Options
    In answer to your question, yes it can. I had a one-nighter with my husband twenty years ago and he never went away!

But I agree that you shouldn't just go along with what he wants. What do you want?
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options

Do you like the time you share with him? Is he a good person? When y'all talked the other night was it interesting?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

well I hope asking a large group of stramgers who cant even agree on diet soda will help.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Going out on a few dates with him might help you figure out how you feel....unless really you just want to keep your relationship at the current level because it's working well so far (which is fine, but you should probably let him know that you don't want anything more).
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I met a guy, we "hooked up" (so to speak, long story), then we kept hanging out. I married him two years later.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    One of my hook ups turned into a 7 year relationship.

It was 7 years of pure hell though, so probably not the best example.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    There's a saying, "Why buy the cow, when the milk is free"
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options

well I hope asking a large group of stramgers who cant even agree on diet soda will help.

hahahahaha This made me giggle!!

I dont have anything further to add though. Most of my relationships have started from a casual hook up but none have lasted for me. I think I'm too picky though! xxx
  • bethgames
    bethgames Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in casual hookups. I don't think it does anyone any good and leads to low self esteem. I think when you finally find that special someone you will be glad you waited. You asked for my opinion. :smile:

I dont agree. If I was 15 years younger and single, I'd hook up more. I have always had good self esteem, but lousy sex. Now I know better. :) I'd have kept looking instead of settling for my ex.....you have to try them on!!!!!
  • bethgames
    bethgames Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    There's a saying, "Why buy the cow, when the milk is free"

Sometimes, the milk is just that tasty!
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I "hooked" up with this guy one weekend, when neither of us were even looking for a relationship. Let's just say we didn't waste any time getting down to business either.

Much as it would be nice to get to know someone properly before u jump into bed with them, let's be honest in modern life that doesn't always happen and the getting to know u comes well...after.

Anyway to cut a long story short that "guy" is now my husband who I've been with 7 years:heart::heart: :heart:

Sometimes you just have to take a chance!
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend and i started out as friends with benefits a little less than 3 years ago... about half a year later, we were officially "together" and have stayed this way for the past 2 years.

one thing i wish we would've discussed would be what happens if we become more... we have arguments sometimes and i feel like we pushed each other into being together and now we're stuck. of course that feeling goes away the next day, but i just wonder what it would have been like if we'd started out dating instead of just fooling around or just stayed friends with benefits.

so think about it, talk about it, figure it all out.

good luck!
  • hush7hush
    Options

Sometimes a stranger's insight can make you think.
  • talzybob
    talzybob Posts: 80
    Options
    my first proper relationship came from myself and my ex partner of 4 years came from the two if us been tag alongs on his brothers and my friends date. we met on the wednesday together as bf/gf by the friday. lasted four years, have no regrets, we never argued, just wish we were more compatible in the end. he is a great guy just a shame we wanted different things. Id say go for it if you want to but always make sure you talk about things.