The big, fat, nasty, "healthy" burger...

Options
yolie1220
yolie1220 Posts: 223 Member
So today I was soo good on my diet. I ate a homemade egg and cheese breakfast burrito with low carb tortilla for breakfast (protein you know) before going on a hike on Mt. Rainier. Then after my one hour hike I had a pb&j and a banana. Later for a snack I had an apple. Then on the way home around 8pm we decided to stop at Ruby Tuesday's for dinner. I looked at the whole menu three times looking for something even remotely "healthy" and decided on a turkey burger, no cheese or mayo. I figured it would be about 500-600 calories? No biggie since I was so good all day right? :wink: So I get home and was anxious to enter all my hard days work into the logs and diary. I look up the turkey burger for nutrition info- 815 calories and 45 (count em.. 45!!) grams of fat!! I was shocked. :noway: The sad thing is that Ruby Tuesday has their nutrition info on their website but not at the restaurant. So if I had this info with me, I could have gotten a turkey burger wrap with only 450 calories or something even better. Oh well, what's a girl to do? :ohwell: Let's just say, "Thank goodness" for those exercise calories because I have never eaten them until today *sniffle*. Tomorrow is a new day and a new opportunity go start over before Monday's weigh in! Have a great 4th of July everyone :drinker:

Replies

• maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Bleh, don't you hate when that happens?! This is my first week actually following my plan.... one of the first things I did was look up every single fast food restaurant we frequent to find one breakfast meal and one lunch/dinner meal for each place I could eat that I would automatically know would fit my needs without blowing my whole day by a 1500 cal meal, made a list, printed it, and stuck it in my wallet. I know this has been a major stumbling block for me in the past, and I have already had the opportunity to use my "cheat sheet". Some things sound sooo healthy, and are worse than cheeseburgers and french fries! At least you had the exercise, and ya gotta splurge every now and then or you weaken your resolve! I will gladly take ashort jog to "earn" exercise calories that mean I can eat 1/2 a cup of apricot mango sherbet! :tongue:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I have found very often that when you are very very good and dilligent otherwise, and a situation arises (such as when the restaurant you wanted wasn't available and you had to sub), you do a best guestimate, try to keep the 'damage' low, and recoup later.

It looks like you burned a TON of cals. You probably burned 700 calories doing what you did all day. Sounds to me like you earned it!! And had fun doing it.. Happy 4th of July!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I have an app on my Iphone to look this up. Really pisses off the waitress:laugh:

My big shock was Olive Garden fresh grilled shrimp over angel hair pasta. Server said it was good on cals and fat...........1800 calories and like 3000 g of sodium:noway:

Man if that was good I would hate to see bad (but I did and some meals are up to 5k in cals:frown: )

:flowerforyou:
  • FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    I have an app on my Iphone to look this up. Really pisses off the waitress:laugh:

My big shock was Olive Garden fresh grilled shrimp over angel hair pasta. Server said it was good on cals and fat...........1800 calories and like 3000 g of sodium:noway:

Man if that was good I would hate to see bad (but I did and some meals are up to 5k in cals:frown: )

I sooo need a phone with these apps. :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

I sooo need a phone with these apps. :laugh:

There is one for fast food. It has stopped me from going thru a drive thru on many many occasions.
    :noway: HOW much fat and sodium..................vroooooooooooooooooomm as I speed off:laugh: :laugh:
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Was the burger you looked up without the chhese and mayo? I've heard RT's turkey burger is definitely one of those "you think it's healthy but it's not" foods.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Hi-ya! What's the name of that app? I have a "restaurants" one, but most of my favs are missing.... Thanks!:happy:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Hi-ya! What's the name of that app? I have a "restaurants" one, but most of my favs are missing.... Thanks!:happy:

it is called " Restaurants" and was free
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Was the burger you looked up without the chhese and mayo? I've heard RT's turkey burger is definitely one of those "you think it's healthy but it's not" foods.

I was shocked when I checked the package on ground turkey vs ground beef . I get 7% fat so it was actually less fattening than the turkey.

I asked around and the benefit has to do with cholesterol. Turkey has very little whereas the beef has a lot.

I now order a cheeseburger with 1 slice of cheese, toppings on the side and then eat 1/2.
  • kolney
    kolney Posts: 93
    Options
    Bleh, don't you hate when that happens?! This is my first week actually following my plan.... one of the first things I did was look up every single fast food restaurant we frequent to find one breakfast meal and one lunch/dinner meal for each place I could eat that I would automatically know would fit my needs without blowing my whole day by a 1500 cal meal, made a list, printed it, and stuck it in my wallet. I know this has been a major stumbling block for me in the past, and I have already had the opportunity to use my "cheat sheet". Some things sound sooo healthy, and are worse than cheeseburgers and french fries! At least you had the exercise, and ya gotta splurge every now and then or you weaken your resolve! I will gladly take ashort jog to "earn" exercise calories that mean I can eat 1/2 a cup of apricot mango sherbet! :tongue:

This is a great idea!!!

I had lunch at RT's yesterday. Got the Turkey Mini's and sub'd green beans for fries and my lunch was still 600+ cals. Way more than I like to use for lunch.

I just may do this list. Thanks for the idea!!
  • yolie1220
    yolie1220 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

On their website it just says "without sides" meaning no friest etc... Cheese doen't come on it automatically but the mayo does. Even if I found nutrition stats with no mayo, it would probably still be 700 calories probably! Darn turkey!