Taco Tuesday!

Options
2»

Replies

• d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I made these for Cinco De Mayo and they were DELICIOUS!!! I didn't use any butter and instead of mayo in the homemade slaw I used fat free cottage cheese (could easily use yogurt too), Fat Free skim milk instead of whole milk and whole wheat tortillas instead of the regular ones.

Shrimp
    2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
    1-1/2 pound Shrimp, Peeled And Deveined, Tails Removed
    1 can (6 Ounces Approx) Mexican Tomato Sauce Or Enchilada Sauce
    1/2 teaspoon Cumin
    Slaw:
    1/2 head Cabbage, Sliced Thin
    1/2 head Purple Cabbage, Sliced Thin
    1 whole Jalapeno, Chopped
    1/2 cup Whole Milk
    1/2 cup Mayonnnaise
    1 teaspoon White Vinegar
    1 Tablespoon Sugar
    1/4 teaspoon Salt
    1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
    1/2 bunch Cilantro, Roughly Chopped
    EXTRAS:
    16 whole Corn Tortillas, Warmed
    Pico De Gallo
    Avocado Slices
    Lime Wedges

Preparation Instructions

SLAW

Combine shredded cabbage and sliced jalapenos in a bowl. In a separate bowl mix milk, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt, and cayenne. Pour over cabbage. Toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for a couple of hours if you have the time.

Before serving, toss in cilantro leaves.

SHRIMP

Heat canola oil in a heavy skillet over high heat. Throw in shrimp and toss around, cooking until opaque. Reduce heat to low and pour in the red sauce, stirring to combine. Stir in cumin and cook for another minute or two, then remove from heat.

TO SERVE

Serve the warm tortillas with the shrimp, slaw, pico de gallo, avocado slices, and lime wedges and let everyone build their own tacos. Be sure to squeeze lime juice over the top at the end!

ShrimpTacos.jpg

Those look amazing, alas i'm allergic to shellfish!!!!
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    We use all venison meat in anything that calls for ground meat. Hubby is a hunter and the locker we use puts beef tallow (fat) in it.
    I don't know the percentage, but I do know there is rarely any grease in the pan after I fry a pound of venison. I usually have to spray my stainless steel cookware with PAM prior to cooking the venison or it will stick big time.
    My kids can't even tell the difference.
    When we eat tacos I ALWAYS bake the shells. It's just faster and easier. Fat free cheese and sour cream are a given at our house as well.
    We also grow our own veggies in the summer, so storebought salsa is a swear word at our house...LOL:drinker:
  • cranford_s
    cranford_s Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I do 2 lbs lean ground beef, a can of corn, and a can of black beans, with a packet each of taco seasoning and ranch seasoning- not too bad nutritionally, and really filling. It makes WAY too much, but it's awesome for leftovers too :)