Higher Calorie Healthy Foods...options?

Options
2»

Replies

• DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    1 tip would be to lose the Multigrain Cheerios in the morning and replace with a big bowl of Oatmeal. Steel cut oats would be good. Lots of oatmeal recipes you can use on these boards.
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I agree with losing the Cheerios...I'd ditch those and replace with oatmeal (yay, DPernet!) or with Kashi (which has lots of protein and will keep you full longer). Add a banana or some almonds. For your sandwiches, maybe try adding some 2% cheese, which has lots of protein, too (I like the Cabot 75% reduced fat, which has more protein than the regular Cabot cheese does). Avocado goes nicely on sandwiches as a condiment. I agree with snacking more. Try boiled eggs mashed with Laughing Cow cheese on Kashi crackers. Or an orange and string cheese (I like the Frigo brand). You don't need to make MAJOR changes...just a few small ones will help. :) Good luck, sweetpea!!
  • Crystal0827
    Crystal0827 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I agree with losing the Cheerios...I'd ditch those and replace with oatmeal (yay, DPernet!) or with Kashi (which has lots of protein and will keep you full longer). Add a banana or some almonds. For your sandwiches, maybe try adding some 2% cheese, which has lots of protein, too (I like the Cabot 75% reduced fat, which has more protein than the regular Cabot cheese does). Avocado goes nicely on sandwiches as a condiment. I agree with snacking more. Try boiled eggs mashed with Laughing Cow cheese on Kashi crackers. Or an orange and string cheese (I like the Frigo brand). You don't need to make MAJOR changes...just a few small ones will help. :) Good luck, sweetpea!!

Thanks, I haven't tried steel oats before, but since I am not a huge fan of oatmeal....I am not sure I will like it but I will try it. I am OK with the Kashi as well I used to eat that but became bored with it's lack of taste. I tried avocado for the 1st time today and it was yummy and very filling. I will keep adding and trying new things. Soon enough I will be a pro!!
  • Ceffy
    Ceffy Posts: 235
    Options
    Bump for ideas!

I was told Oil, Nuts and PB - but would like ideas of things to add to my evening meal, as I don't take carbs in an evening
    Tend to have fish / chicken / turkey or quorn with veg but struggle to get over 300 cals with that!

Would like something to add to meals to get them up to 500 or so :)
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Substitute oatmeal, preferably steel cut, instead of Cheerios

Snack on fats and proteins like nut butters, full-fat greek yogurt (Fage, Olympus, Voskos), and keeping avocados is fine.

Include beans and legumes with your dinner for some good carbs also.
  • beila1
    beila1 Posts: 5
    Options
    If you're going to the gym 3-4 times a week, make sure you wash your hands thoroughly before you leave and take a shower as soon as possible. If you use the same water bottle, wipe it down after leaving the gym. I'm not a germaphobe, but the gym is a repository for all types of germs. This could be the source of your frequent illnesses.
  • Crystal0827
    Crystal0827 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If you're going to the gym 3-4 times a week, make sure you wash your hands thoroughly before you leave and take a shower as soon as possible. If you use the same water bottle, wipe it down after leaving the gym. I'm not a germaphobe, but the gym is a repository for all types of germs. This could be the source of your frequent illnesses.

This is what I was thinking the last time I was ill, But I have been very cautious about cleaning all equipment, mats and using hand sanitizer after each piece of equipment. I will wash my hands as soon as I get home. I mean I guess I can't rule this out completely.