Is it so wrong?

Options
Recently my doctor put me on a medicine called Topamax. She prescribed it to me for migraines. Not only does this medicine work great (as I have not even had a tinge of a headache) but it also decreases your appetite. SO, since my doctor put me on it in April, I've lost 9lbs, which is great.

The problem is, when I went to refill it, I didn't have anymore refills and they had to call it in. So I just decided that it's just one more expense and that I wouldn't refill it again. Well, when I went off of it, I gained 4lbs in just 1 1/2 weeks. I freaked out, went to see my doctor, and got another prescription. So, now it seems that I may be kinda dependent on this medicine to lose the weight. I have 2 arguments in my head about this:
1. It's medicine and you should never become dependent on a drug for anything unless your body absolutely could not function without it. Not only is it dangerous to be addicted to something, but if I become dependent on it, then I will always have to take it.
2. I have A LOT of weight to lose. I am morbidly obese and if this medicine helps me to lose it and decreases my risk of heart disease, diabetes, cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc. then maybe it is worth it.

My doctor, herself, takes it. She has nothing but good to say about it and has not warned me of any addicting qualities. So I guess I need to just weight the pros with the cons? What do ya'll think?

Replies

• Dlhigh
    Dlhigh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Well, as a nurse, I believe that you shouldn't take any medication unless it is absolutely necessary. As a patient and a doctor, you need to weigh the risk vs. benefit. And while there are studies and research done on all medications, there is so much that we do not know about drugs ( which are just chemicals that we put into our bodies ). That is why everytime we turn around there is another drug recall or class action suit that we hear about in the media. My advice to you is to not take it, unless you are getting a significant improvement in life style. And I don't mean the appetite. Look around you, you will see so many of us here that have taken off the pound without the use of pills of any kind. And that's what I believe it takes to have a lifelong weightloss. You can do this on your own just be strong.

Just my 2 cents!!

141041.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Recently my doctor put me on a medicine called Topamax. She prescribed it to me for migraines. Not only does this medicine work great (as I have not even had a tinge of a headache) but it also decreases your appetite. SO, since my doctor put me on it in April, I've lost 9lbs, which is great.

The problem is, when I went to refill it, I didn't have anymore refills and they had to call it in. So I just decided that it's just one more expense and that I wouldn't refill it again. Well, when I went off of it, I gained 4lbs in just 1 1/2 weeks. I freaked out, went to see my doctor, and got another prescription. So, now it seems that I may be kinda dependent on this medicine to lose the weight. I have 2 arguments in my head about this:
    1. It's medicine and you should never become dependent on a drug for anything unless your body absolutely could not function without it. Not only is it dangerous to be addicted to something, but if I become dependent on it, then I will always have to take it.
    2. I have A LOT of weight to lose. I am morbidly obese and if this medicine helps me to lose it and decreases my risk of heart disease, diabetes, cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc. then maybe it is worth it.

My doctor, herself, takes it. She has nothing but good to say about it and has not warned me of any addicting qualities. So I guess I need to just weight the pros with the cons? What do ya'll think?

IThat is a very interesting question. IF you have a sense of trust in your provider and have no reason to doubt them, I see nothing wrong with that. The decision is yours to make, of course, to pursue this treatment because it has a secondary side effect that aligns with a personal agenda you happen to have, which works IN YOUR FAVOR. Yay you. Try to remove guilt from this decision. Some doctors push certain drugs for certain professional reasons, some good, some not so good.

Having said that:

Educating oneself how to prevent addictions from happening is what's necessary to take or 'utilize' this medication when needed only. Talk to your provider about your pleasant side effect. If you are using the drug when you don't have a physical symptom, just so that you CAN lose the weight, that would be incorrect usage. Unless it is also PRESCRIBED to be taken that way for that medical purpose.
    That's what I think. And it's only input.

HTH.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    As I am a severe migraine sufferer, If something took away my headaches, I would continue to take it.

:flowerforyou: