Need help selecting a bike

Options
Hi, I was in the market to buy a bike. I've been biking a lot since the last month and I think it might just make sense to buy a second hand bike. I don't wish to spend much. Budgeting for $200-$250 max.

I am 6 feet tall and I really like to drive road bikes. I am ok with a hybrid too.

Any bikers here who could give me advice on what should I be looking at? I am pretty new to biking so any/all advice is much appreciated.

ps: I am from the Boston area if you or someone you know in the area and is looking to sell their bike.

Replies

• fenrirGrey
    fenrirGrey Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • ShaunWV
    ShaunWV Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    $250 is a hard price point to hit. Really hard, even for used, without going the department store route.
    At 6ft, you are between a M and L frame, so your best bet is to ride one of each and see what feels the best.
    If I were you, I would seriously consider saving a few more bucks and upgrade to a better selection of bikes.
    For instance, you could probably pick up a used Canondale Quick CX3 for $400-$500 bucks pretty easily.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    $250 is a hard price point to hit. Really hard, even for used, without going the department store route.
    At 6ft, you are between a M and L frame, so your best bet is to ride one of each and see what feels the best.
    If I were you, I would seriously consider saving a few more bucks and upgrade to a better selection of bikes.
    For instance, you could probably pick up a used Canondale Quick CX3 for $400-$500 bucks pretty easily.

I second this. $250 is really not going to get you a very good bike. The lowest prices I've seen on a decent bike is in the $400 - $500 range. It's not like when you were a kid and you could get on any bike and ride it. You will be uncomfortable on a bike that doesn't fit or a bike that has cheap components. Spend a little more and get a decent bike.
  • Speedtrap
    Speedtrap Posts: 216
    Options
    Just like the other, I am going to say if you want a road bike you will need to up the amount a bit.
    You should be looking at frame sizes of 58-60 cm range, but you need to try them out and see if it fits you.

Unfortunately there are not a lot of lower end road bikes, most are mid to high end.

Some things to look for are the components, Shimanno Tiagra will work for what you are talking about doing, but I would not go down to the Sora line of components. If you can find a used bike with Shimmano 105 components, that is great, but depending on how much you want to spend, this may be out of your range.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    How much are you riding? Department store bikes are fine most people (though I do recommend taking it to a bike shop to make sure it's correctly put together and everything is tight/aligned/etc), but if you're doing a lot of riding or are thinking about anything competitive then you'll probably outgrow it pretty fast.

Dept store bikes are heavier and come with lower quality components (biggest difference is they don't last nearly as long). But if the weight isn't a problem, then go for it.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I'm with Shawn, to an extent. What are your plans for the bike?

There are tons of decent bikes out there that are great for exercise. Heck, your local junkyard is probably full of them and all they need is a little lovin' and $100 in parts! Skip the parts if you REALLY want exercise (grin!).

My daily rider is a Specialized Sirrus. It's a hybrid/courier bike ("T" handlebars, somewhat rugged frame, TONS of attachment points). I put puncture-resistant tires, a rack, fenders, and a bike computer on it. The bike was a "previous model year clearance" deal I got in 2008, and it got marked down even more because it was an XL frame (I'm 6'3") and there was no call for bikes that large so they had a BUNCH of them. I ride it to work (30 mile round trip) pretty routinely and it handles rough road-edges without problems. I can carry a lot of gear on it with the racks, and the frame has held up to some really bone-jarring potholes (I've snapped a few spokes, though!). It's by no means a "road" bike, and the road bike crowd whizzes by me like I'm standing still, but I routinely go for 40-50 mile rides on it and it handles hills quite nicely. It can handle a little sand/gravel without too much drama.

Honestly, I'd look into a hybrid or even an older ten-speed if you're in it for the exercise. If you can run it through the gears, the brakes work, and it's rust-free, it's good. Swap the tires out for a reasonably high-pressure road tire, and call it a love story. Getting into "real" road bikes gets into some SERIOUS coin, and I guarantee you you'll burn as many or more calories in something more affordable. Just avoid the Wal-Mart specials, those things are just hard to ride and discouraging.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    You MIGHT be able to find a workable bike in your price range - it'll probably be a late 80s/early 90s lugged steel frame with downtube shifters.

You probably fit a 56. I'm 6' 0, and depending on the company, I fit a 56 or 58 (my Specialized is a 58, but if I bought a Trek, it would be a 56. My TT bike is a 54, but that's a different animal all together).

Downtube shifters were used on most road bikes until 1990 (really cheap bikes had different, weird shifters). In 1990, Shimano came out with STI brifters, but it took a number of years till they came down to all levels of prices.

There were some very nice bikes in that time period. The problem is that in the last few years, many were bought up by hipsters and turned into fixies, driving up the price of the market.
  • fenrirGrey
    Options
    It is not that $400-$500 is an issue, I just don't want to commit to a bike that I am not 100% confident on using for a long time. I am not sure if biking is just a passing hobby or something I'm seriously enjoying.

So far I have only been biking one day a week for a 30-35 mile trail (minuteman trail). I absolutely cannot use it to go to work (work is 60 miles away). So basically a weekend thing, probably wont even be using it for grocery shopping and stuff. And no plans on competitive biking anytime on the horizon.

I'm paying anywhere from $20-$40 on weekends for rentals. Not sure if I should be sticking to rentals or go out and buy one. Summer has not yet really hit NE area and I've already spent $150 on rentals so far. I'm guessing I'll do it more during peak summer.

Thanks for all the advice guys!
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    It is not that $400-$500 is an issue, I just don't want to commit to a bike that I am not 100% confident on using for a long time. I am not sure if biking is just a passing hobby or something I'm seriously enjoying.

I'll let you in on a little secret--the more you spend, the more likely it is that your bike will fit you well and work reliably, which will make you want to ride more. And knowing that you invested a bit more into your bike is added incentive to keep up the riding. You may find that you want to do more riding and even some competitive stuff once you start riding...that was what happened to me and a lot of other folks I know.
  • fenrirGrey
    Options

I'll let you in on a little secret--the more you spend, the more likely it is that your bike will fit you well and work reliably, which will make you want to ride more. And knowing that you invested a bit more into your bike is added incentive to keep up the riding. You may find that you want to do more riding and even some competitive stuff once you start riding...that was what happened to me and a lot of other folks I know.

Touche!

I'm going to be spending a lot more on the bike now aint I!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Touche!

Check some independent bike shops in your area. Sometimes they take in trades and can get you a deal on a used one or at the very least, give you some direction on what to scour Craigs list looking for....

I bought my bike new from a bike shop and they asked what I planned to do, and didn't try to oversell me at all. In the end, I spent less than I had expected to and still LOVE my bike 6 years later.
  • scorpio516
    Options

Touche!

And if it's as you say and not spring riding season yet, some local bike shops (LBS) might still have last year models at a deep discount. Here in northern California, the old stock doesn't last past December, but I've got a 12 month riding season.
  • streetnamejim
    Options
    Go to 1 or 2 bike shops and have them fit you for a bike. They should measure you and ask you what you intend to do with it and suggest a particular style. Once you get an idea of what size you need, hit Craigslist and monitor it for bikes. You could probably find something decent on there if you are patient.

If nothing else, post a wanted ad or something for a free bike that someone wants to get rid of.. I rode a crappy bike all Summer last year as I saved up for a $700 bike I too wanted to be sure that it wasn't a passing fad, so I told myself that when I ride 100 miles, I'll get a good bike... well, I couldn't afford the "good bike" until I was about 650 miles in on the crappy bike. But, I'm glad I did... I learned to tweak the turd bike and made it do what I needed it to do until I got the good bike. After riding the good bike for another 700-800 miles, I get on that old bike and don't know how I did it... Only one thing comes to mind: I wanted to ride, so I made the best of it. :)

There are lotsa $50-100 starter bikes that you could get from people who bought a turd bike and never rode it. That can tide you over til you get the cash you need for the bike you want. Don't be picky, just get something and stop renting bikes. :)

Good luck!! and enjoy :)
  • streetnamejim
    Options
    also check your local www.freecycle.org - people often have bikes there that they don't want, but don't want to toss out.
  • wickedvt
    wickedvt Posts: 7
    Options
    Like others have mentioned, if you "cheap out" and get something that doesn't fit right or doesn't hold up, you'll be a lot less likely to ride it. You're absolutely not going to find something good at a department store. Almost of those bikes, even though they look similar, are toys and they are not made to hold up over time. There are a lot of shortcuts taken in the manufacturing and component selection to hit those low price points and they aren't obvious at first glance to someone who isn't familiar with bikes.

The best thing to do is just not think about price at all for now. Go to some bike shops and ride some nice bikes. You'll know when something feels great. Hopping on a bike that begs to be ridden is a very gratifying way to spend your time and you'll never regret the purchase. When looking at new bikes, you'll find the best value with Tiagra equipped bikes... that (or arguably the more expensive 105, depending on who you ask) seems to be where the price/performance ratio is most favorable. You can also get by with Sora which is even less expensive, though the shifting controls may seem a little cludgy after a while. Then again, you can save money that way and if you find out you are really into it later you can upgrade the drivetrain. The great thing about bikes vs cars as a hobby is you can do all the work right in your living room!

One thing to know about road bikes and components, is that after a certain point you're actually paying more for less. Literally. The highest priced lines like Dura Ace don't offer any appreciable performance enhancement for mere mortals like me, and the cassettes, chains, etc wear out a lot faster. The advantages they offer are very minor, mostly in the weight department and some subtle improvements that you may or may not feel with the shifting. Yet many of those components are double the price, or more, than the Ultegra line which is the next highest group.

If you have a bike shop that sells used bikes, that is probably a great place to start. Be careful with craigslist though unless you know what you're looking for. It wouldn't hurt to take someone that knows about bikes with you to look at it (just like when buying a car). Don't buy anything that doesn't fit right. It will drive you nuts!
  • fenrirGrey
    Options
    I did go to two of the bike shops around the area to ask them if they had last year's bikes for sale. They don't :(. (Turns out you need a license to sell bikes as against just renting them?!) Will go to a few more and see what I can get. Will keep you all posted.

Thanks much for all the advice!

Edit: One last thing, any bike brands that I should absolutely stay away from? Ps: How are Windsor Wellington?
  • wickedvt
    Options
    Windsor is a brand used by bikesdirect.com. Though a lot of people will tell you to steer clear of bikesdirect, it's actually a great value when buying a road bike - provided you know what you're doing. In your case, you'd want to take the box directly to a bike shop to have them make the final adjustments and inspect every part for proper operation. Bikesdirect.com has such low prices because they literally slap them together and don't really do all the final adjustments, and sometimes parts aren't properly tightened to spec, etc. That's why it's important to take it to a competent bike mechanic before riding it. Not just a buddy who has some tools either... often the bottom bracket will not be tightened properly or the rear derailleur's stops will not be set and those could be serious, even dangerous problems if overlooked. You will also want them to go over the wheels and make sure they are properly tensioned and true.

Not trying to scare you off of bikesdirect... it might be a good way to go in your case. Sizing is critical so find a road bike that fits you at a store, go online and check out the geometry and sizing for that specific size, and try to match those dimensions when making your purchase. There's a lot more to consider than just the standover height too... reach is important to get right.

The Windsor Wellington seems like a good deal, it has Sora shifters and derailleurs which aren't bad for starting out. I assume this is the bike you are referring to? http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/wellington2_IX.htm
  • scorpio516
    Options
    Windsor is a brand used by bikesdirect.com. Though a lot of people will tell you to steer clear of bikesdirect, it's actually a great value when buying a road bike - provided you know what you're doing. In your case, you'd want to take the box directly to a bike shop to have them make the final adjustments and inspect every part for proper operation. Bikesdirect.com has such low prices because they literally slap them together and don't really do all the final adjustments, and sometimes parts aren't properly tightened to spec, etc. That's why it's important to take it to a competent bike mechanic before riding it. Not just a buddy who has some tools either... often the bottom bracket will not be tightened properly or the rear derailleur's stops will not be set and those could be serious, even dangerous problems if overlooked. You will also want them to go over the wheels and make sure they are properly tensioned and true.

Which will cost an extra hundred or two. If the LBS will even look at it - some are sticklers about not servicing anything they don't sell. So just factor that in to the cost.
  • wickedvt
    Options
    If you do go the bikesdirect.com route, you'll definitely want to arrange the shop who's going to look at it ahead of time and make sure they're cool with it. Most decent shops should be. Any bike shop that will only service bikes they sell isn't really a full service bike shop if you ask me. That's like a muffler shop only working on cars that were bought in their parking lot. Makes no sense.
  • fenrirGrey
    Options
    This is the one I'm looking at: http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/3003117869.html

Btw, any thoughts on this: http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/3002539734.html (for my GF, she's 5"8).

The bike guys I have been renting from are extremely nice. They tuned up a friend's bike (during rush business hour) absolutely free.