Anyone take Kickboxing classes?

Options
So, I keep seeing these kickboxing classes advertised by my house, and I am seriously thinking about signing up. Good thing about it is, the classes are in the same shopping center as my gym!
So my question is: Anyone here ever take kickboxing? How did you like it? How were your results?

The same gym also offers tae Kwon do...if you have any result with that too, I would like to hear about it. :D

Replies

• cbbn11
    cbbn11 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don't do any kickboxing or karate but I am told that boxing/kickboxing is a FABULOUS way to lose weight. You can really get a burn on from what I have been told.

I too have been thinking about taking some kind of boxing classes but I have very little time left after everything and my workout.
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to stop by there today or tomorrow and get some more info from them. I have always wanted to take some sort of martial art. I have heard that is good for losing weight too, so it seems like a double plus.
    That and I have no one to work out with, so I get bored and stop, so I figure a class environment would work out well for me.

I would love to hear from people who have done it. I love hearing about people's experiences. :)
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    You want a cardio work out - krav maga if you can find it.

Nuff said. :smile:
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I take a kickboxing class called Turbo Kick from my gym (ymca) and it's just like Turbo Jam or Turbo Fire which are programs sold on DVD I think. These classes are tough, fun, and I look forward to it every week. I highly recommend kickboxing for a fun burn. It's the fastest hour of the week!
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I have taken kickboxing classes at martial arts studios and in a regular gym. Does the place offer one free class to try it out? I have had wildly different experiences based on the teacher and the expected audience. I loved some of my classes and teachers, and others not so much.

Kickboxing is a wonderful and exciting workout, if you have a good teacher. It can also be a good way to hurt yourself if the teacher doesn't know or teach proper form (like how to position your standing knee during a kick with the other leg).

In a good class, I loved how I had to concentrate on what I was doing, so it's a great mental treat as well. No time to let the mind wander, stress, ponder things that are bothering me...my mind was 100% on what I was doing. I definitely recommend it, just be ready to try a few different classes and teachers if you can to find the best fit.
  • BoxingAli
    BoxingAli Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I go to a boxing/kickboxing only gym, Title Boxing Club. i have lost 65 pounds and started at size 22/24 and now i wear 12. it is the best full workout. plus you can relieve some stress when you punch the heavy bag...anyway, i HIGHLY recommend it...you should go check it out. my gym lets you try your first class for free, so maybe that one will too. Good luck!!!
  • PersephoneH
    PersephoneH Posts: 10
    Options
    I do Kickboxing and it is amazing for toning and dropping the pounds! You burn lots of calories and you engage loads of muscles, it's a total body workout!
    Go for it, You Definitely won't regret it!
  • lostsanity137
    Options
    You want a cardio work out - krav maga if you can find it.

Nuff said. :smile:

The signs the guy was holding did say Kickboxing/Krav Maga.

I saw a show once (Fight Quest I think it was called?) and the guy took some Krav Maga lessons and it looked pretty awesome. The girl kicked his butt! lol
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I did a kickboxing fitness class a few times a week with a kickboxing club where I used to live. It was amazing!! Such an awesome workout and FUN too! You definitely know about it the next day too!
    I was gutted that I moved and havent yet found another one near me - will keep looking though!

xxx
  • runwithitwerewinning
    runwithitwerewinning Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've taken cardio kickboxing and martial arts for years, including teaching them for about 7 years. If you're just looking for a good, fun group workout cardio kickboxing is great. I've seen tons of people that have had great results. Obviously, it's not for self defense but it can be a lot of fun.
  • brittnicoledav
    Options
    YES and i loveeee them. I go to a les mills body combat class at my gym and i would go to it everyday if i could! its an amazing workout and its fun!
  • MinkyMoo13
    MinkyMoo13 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I used to kick box when i was 15 it really toned me up.. I gave it up after about a ear as i couldn't be bothered to get out of bed on a Sunday morning! Defo try it!
  • sensationallysassyt
    Options
    I've been going to Kickboxing class for the pass two weekends and OMG I am in Love. The classes were FREE and I felt the burn tthruought the entire day! I'm getting a membership in June...Kickboxing & Zumba are going to be my major workouts~~~~
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I used to do muay thai, and boxing, it's hard to beat the workout you get from a proper kickboxing workout. I find brazilian jiu jitsu has a slightly different, but at least as good a workout to (tends to be lower key, but you have the resistance of another body making you work harder).

you should give it a try!
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I do thai boxing (v similar) and it's an excellent workout. Superb for cardio, conditioning and best of all you learn a skill at the same time!

I've trained at a few different gyms and they are definately all different. Some have an emphasis on conditioning and fight prep (pretty hard core), others are very technical and traditional and some are oriented towards generall fitness and technique (a decent workout).

I've met nothing but great people doing thai boxing. Even the guy who broke my nose in my first fight was a nice fellow.
  • anoroc751
    anoroc751 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Go try it. I bet they will let you try a class for free. Depending on the instructor, it can be pretty intense. I go three times per week and on off days do resistance training (circuits). It's all part of the same class I go to.

Have fun.
  • lostsanity137
    Options
    This is sounding great! I really do need something that will keep my mind from wandering and from what you guys are saying, I won't have time to focus on other things while I am working out. I really need that. I would love to be able to look forward to a workout!
  • nyxt
    nyxt Posts: 60
    Options
    I tried that for 6 months and for the first two sessions, I ended up bathing in ice to soothe my sore muscles. Anyway, after that, I felt a lot stronger. Haha! And I lost 10 lbs. too!
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Bump! I have wondered the same thing recently. There is also a place that opened up by my house. The only thing stopping me from trying it is that you need gloves (even for the free trial class). I'd hate to buy gloves somewhere and then not like the class :/
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I plan on starting soon x