60/20/20

Options
Can someone explain to me how to follow this approach?
I'm kinda lost and don't know where to begin???????
thanks

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    that refers to carbs/fat/protien

I have mine set at 40/30/30 and eat good protien and fats. Like chicken and olive oil.

MFP sets you up with 55/15/30 or something like that. I went in and did a customized version. I also added 100 cals a day so I am at 1300 without exercise cals.

It takes time to get to know what you are doing.

:flowerforyou:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, all of your calories come from either a) carbs, b) fat or c) protein. If you cut back on one, the other ones have to go up, because they all must equal 100% (of your caloric intake).

Ideally, a healthy diet will have a higher percentage of it's calories coming from the carbs/proteins and much less (although don't totally eliminate) from fat.

1 gram of carbohydrate = 4 calories.
    1 gram of protein = 4 calories
    BUT
    1 gram of fat = 9 calories.

Before coming here, I'd been eating a diet high in carbs but low in protein/fat, and much too few calories for my body size. So I've had to increase my calories and decrease the carbs while increasing the protein. It seems to be working, so far.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    It is your protein, carb, and good fat macros

I follow a 40 protein, 40 carb, and 20 good fat-

is your 60/20/20 is that 60 of carbs or 60 of protein
    becareful with taking your carbs too low unless your following a keto diet- you need carbs (good ones that is whole wheat- not enriched anything)
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    My percentages are as follows:

60 % fat / 30% protein / 10% carbs
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    The current recommendation is 50% carbs/20% Protein/ 30% Fat according to dietitians. However, I have also seen it at 40% carbs/30% Protein/ 30% Fat for people trying to loss weight or build muscle.
  • smokey_37
    smokey_37 Posts: 2
    Options
    thanks for your replys.
    here is my stats
    sex:m
    height:5'8
    weight:135lbs
    body fat:15%

i am currently in phase 2 of p90x and my coach told me this is the phase where you want to put on size. so since i have a hard time putting on weight he told me to go to the 3500 calorie/day diet and go to the 60/20/20 approach does this seem right?
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    thanks for your replys.
    here is my stats

i am currently in phase 2 of p90x and my coach told me this is the phase where you want to put on size. so since i have a hard time putting on weight he told me to go to the 3500 calorie/day diet and go to the 60/20/20 approach does this seem right?

You must be bulking. You know I am not trying to step on toes on this website but you should checkout a body building forum it has experts, and trainers along with Professionals I go to that one for questions and tips but becareful they are straight shooters.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    thanks for your replys.
    here is my stats

There's many people doing P90x online. Search for some of the threads, they'll welcome you and help you out.