OUCH! Anyone have suggestions for good work out shoes?

Options
124»

Replies

• Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Sneakers/workout shoes, etc that are worn daily - even if it is only for a 60 min workout SHOULD be changed out every 12 months - they stretch and actually wear out.
    Secondly - get properly fitted - AT THE TIME OF DAY YOU ARE WORKING OUT. For example if you work all day and do your workout at night then your feet will be a different size - slightly then when you got out of bed in the morning. Our feet swell slightly over the course of the day.
    Thirdly, buy a pair of shoes that are just for working out. Your feet will thank you. You will also have less of a chance of having stinky feet. Your workout shoes get a chance to air out daily and you will not ruin your daily shoes/sneaks.
    Feet are your foundation and everybody has feet unique to them - try a few pairs until you find a pair that feels great. Many stores would like you to walk around in them for 15 minutes and get a true feel - jump, hop, do some moves and see how your feet feel - this is the only pair of feet you get. Be nice to them!
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Was fitted at a running store and found that Brooks Glycerin 9 works best for me. Lots of support where i need it and no knee or back pain when I am walk/running.,
  • Nikki206
    Nikki206 Posts: 69
    Options
    I currently have a pair of Nike's but when I work out my feet get tingly...like I have no circulation and then it starts to hurt. These shoes have been fine, I have had them for about six months and never had a problem until I started the exercise routine. I'm thinking that maybe there isn't enough give to them? Anyways, what brand should I go with?

Hey Nikki!

When you use the elliptical or bike, how long are you on it? It could be the shoes tied too tightly, however when you are on these machines it's natural to get that sensation because you putting pressure on the balls of your feet which is a sensitive/nerve area and you could also be decreasing blood-flow to your feet. Have you tried to incorporate walking on a treadmill with incline or the stair-mill ? This would solve your issue if it's not the shoes themselves :)

I usually do half an hour. Tonight I wore thinner socks and loosened my shoelaces so much there was barely enough room to tie them but it did help a lot. I still had the sensation but not as much.
  • Nikki206
    Nikki206 Posts: 69
    Options
    I really like my vibrams!

This!

I have really fat big toes so I don't know that they would work for me!! :laugh: LOL!
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options

This!

I have really fat big toes so I don't know that they would work for me!! :laugh: LOL!

I have fat toes as well...you should go to the vibram website and find a store in your area to atleast try them on. They have so many different kinds, I'm sure there will be something to fit those fat toes of yours. ((:
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

This!

I have fat toes as well...you should go to the vibram website and find a store in your area to atleast try them on. They have so many different kinds, I'm sure there will be something to fit those fat toes of yours. ((:

I have worn Vibrams in the past and know that you need to break them in s-l-o-w-l-y -- like 15-20 minutes at a time. You will feel the difference. Certainly do not slap them on and do a 60-minute workout on a hard gym floor, or try to run or even jog right off the bat. Start on softer surfaces (grass, carpet, rubber gym flooring) and NO impact.
  • fitnhealthykaren
    Options
    I have found that Nike is usually too narrow. I wear New Balance and Saucony's usually.
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options

This!

I have worn Vibrams in the past and know that you need to break them in s-l-o-w-l-y -- like 15-20 minutes at a time. You will feel the difference. Certainly do not slap them on and do a 60-minute workout on a hard gym floor, or try to run or even jog right off the bat. Start on softer surfaces (grass, carpet, rubber gym flooring) and NO impact.

thanks for adding that! very good points!
  • HeatherDerexson
    HeatherDerexson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It might not be your shoes. No matter what shoes I have on my elliptical always makes my toes and the ball of my feet tingle. My solution, roll my ankles or dance for a minute and then hop back on. I wear the same shoes to teach my zumba classes and to jog and walk in so I know its not my shoes. Hope this helps.
  • saturnine15
    saturnine15 Posts: 140
    Options
    New Balance shoes are great.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    vibrams! love mine and my foot pain has gone away. now, every time I wear my regular nikes, I get bad foot cramps after and my feet hurt for days.
  • 8620eater
    8620eater Posts: 9
    Options
    Yes, I agree, most of my work out shoes are New Balance
  • klakers3
    klakers3 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I do both the elliptical and I did the exercise bike last night. It just sucks because I know I can work out for longer but it gets to the point where the pain in my feet are all I can focus on! I really can't afford custom made shoes so I'm hoping to find something for around $80 or under?

My feet tingle when I do the elliptical for a long period of time. Other than that, my shoes don't bother my feet. I've had to gradually build up my time on the elliptical. Now I can go for about 25-30 minutes before my feet start to tingle. Are your feet tingling during other activities or just the elliptical and exercise bike?
  • MrsBioChem
    MrsBioChem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The rule I follow is to try re-lacing your shoes before buying new ones. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12334-0,00.html

If that does not work, try Under Armour's Assert II (2) running shoe. The memory foam like lining is amazing! I will never buy another brand for general workouts.