So disappointed

Options

Replies

• shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You are gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat. Never let the scale alone determine your success.

~ Muscle and fat weigh the same. Muscle is more compact--a lb of muscle takes up less space than a lb of fat. But yes, gaining muscle is awesome which will diminish the inches. Stay focused and the numbers on the scale will soon follow :flowerforyou:
  • CynthiaElise
    CynthiaElise Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You are gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat. Never let the scale alone determine your success.

Not to be a meany but muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat.

^^ Agreed... Sorry but it's true. BUT, even though muscle weights the same it's smaller and looks so much better/sexier!

29lo1za.jpg
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options

Muscle is more dense than fat, but does not weigh more.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? You don't want to lose inches? I'm confused.
  • terrirz
    terrirz Posts: 53
    Options
    Throw away the scale, invest in mirrors and measuring tapes.

love this!! :smile:
  • rhichi
    rhichi Posts: 133
    Options
    I saw a great Before and After post a few days ago on here. The person had actually gained a pound between the two, but it looked as if she lost 25+ because of how toned and muscular she had become. The scale numbers shouldn't disappoint you, which is why when you do your check-ins here, they also take neck, waist, and hip measurements. Your overall size is a much better indicator of your health than the numbers on the scale.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    1. Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. Muscle is more dense than fat. 1 pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat.

2. Here is a link to a post in the Unofficial MFP FAQ group....there are a ton of helpful threads there. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390214-expectations-during-weight-loss

Good luck!

Oh for ****'s sake, people, get over that argument. Everyone is saying the same thing, and everyone knows what the other person means. 1 pound of muscle takes up less space than 1 pound of fat. 1 cubic inch of muscle weighs more than 1 cubic inch of fat. Who freakin cares how you say it? The "by volume" part is inferred, and everyone knows it.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I gained 1/2 pound in a month. Yes, I lost inches (6.25)

^^ you answered your own question...no you should not quit...this is a MAJOR success!

Ive gained roughly 10 lbs since january!! Sounds awful but I wear the same size clothes and look better than ever!

Stick with it, the scale is not our only gauge!

XOXO..................and CONGRATS!
  • abeachlady
    abeachlady Posts: 88
    Options
    Just another reason why I don't weigh myself.
  • CynthiaElise
    CynthiaElise Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    1. Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. Muscle is more dense than fat. 1 pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat.

2. Here is a link to a post in the Unofficial MFP FAQ group....there are a ton of helpful threads there. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390214-expectations-during-weight-loss

Good luck!

Oh for ****'s sake, people, get over that argument. Everyone is saying the same thing, and everyone knows what the other person means. 1 pound of muscle takes up less space than 1 pound of fat. 1 cubic inch of muscle weighs more than 1 cubic inch of fat. Who freakin cares how you say it? The "by volume" part is inferred, and everyone knows it.

Hugs :flowerforyou: Did you not have your coffee this morning munchkin?
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Gettin' messy in here.

How much does your purse weight?
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options

Not to be a meany but muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat.

good someone said it :glasses:
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Throw away the scale, invest in mirrors and measuring tapes.

Yep - this is the way to go
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Hugs :flowerforyou: Did you not have your coffee this morning munchkin?

LOL, as a matter of fact, I didn't, and didn't sleep much last night either. Beware! :laugh:
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    unless you wrtie your weight on your forehead, nobody know what you weight

Dammit, who keeps writing my weight backwards on the mirror???
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Lets specify even further. 1 lb. of muscle and 1lb. of fat WEIGHT the same, but 1 lb. of muscle takes up A LOT less room on your body than 1lb. of fat!! Just remember that! :)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options

Muscle is denser than fat. For a given volume, muscle does, in fact, weigh more than fat. Hence the origin of the slightly incorrect phrase.

Being the same weight and having smaller measurements indicates that fat (less dense) has been replaced with muscle (more dense) and therefore an indication that the body fat percentage has gone down and the person is healthier.

Replacing muscle with fat is good, and a drop in measurements with no drop on the scale means the person is probably healthier, even if no results have shown on the scale.

If you're going to post a correction, you do a great disservice by just calling the other person "wrong" rather than giving the correct information.

"Muscle is denser than fat".
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have busted my butt for the last 4 weeks. 3 days a week with a trainer and on those days do 45 minutes on the treadmill, I run at 5.0 any where from 1/4 of mile to a mile and walk at 4.0 the rest of the time. I average about 3.33 miles. The 2 days a week I'm not with my trainer I"m the treadmill for 60 minutes with the same routine. Yet I gained 1/2 pound in a month. Yes, I lost inches (6.25) and I have stayed within my calories with the exception of 2 or 3 days during this month time frame. Has anyone else experienced this issue. I really want to throw my hands up in the air and say forget this!

You lost over 6 inches? And you are disappointed? For pete's sake, don't throw in the towel when you are making major progress. Maybe what you should do is just put the scale away for a couple of months!
  • tammynienhuis
    Options
    Don't give up...REALLY! A number of years ago I needed to loose 30 lbs and for me the scale did not show a loss (and I even gained a few lbs in the beginning) for 4 months. I could tell that I was loosing inches because my clothes felt better but the scale was very disappointing. At that 4 month mark the lbs started coming off. I lost 20 lbs over the next 4 months and then it took a little longer to loose the last 10 lbs. 2 thiings: they say the slower you loose the weight the longer it will take to gain it back. They also say that muscle weighs more than fat so as you begin exercising the muscle will weigh more than fat (but this is good weight). Over time your fat will disappear and your muscle base will take over. Be patient. I know it is hard work but you will not be disappointed in the end if you stick with it :)