Pizza/bread loving husband alternate foods?

Options
cspong
cspong Posts: 260 Member
My husband LOVES pizza and bread and cheese. They make up most of his diet. Does anyone know of any recipes or foods that are healthier that he might like?

Its getting really hard to keep his food choices healthy :(

Replies

• ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    try this: http://thehealthyfoodie.com/2011/10/25/close-to-perfection-whole-wheat-pizza-dough/

there are a lot of great options for pizza toppings on there as well. Boyfriend and I do pizza night all the time. It's an awesome way to use up any leftover meat and produce from the fridge and pretty fun as well. Use fresh tomatoes instead of the jarred sauce (full of sodium and garbage) and get some high quality mozz and only use a little. Then you get all of the flavor with less of the fat/cals.

You could also look into socca which is a French flatbread made with garbanzo bean flour.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    What is your goal here? Are you looking for alternatives that are lower in calories? Or ones that incorporate more vegetables? Or things that are lower in fat or sodium or cholesterol or something else? Or are you just concerned about variety in his diet? Or what?
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, getting my husband to eat healthy is like pulling teeth. Is yours open to healthier foods? If so, maybe english muffin mini pizzas? This is what I do for myself when the rest of the family is having regular pizza.
  • acg1305
    acg1305 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I make 'pizza' with a low fat wrap, tomato puree, low fat cheese and some lean green bacon... put it under the grill for a few mins... delish
  • hebenn01
    hebenn01 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's necessarily "healthier" but Wal Mart sells 4 packs of Great Value mini pizzas. They are under 400 cals and super yummy. It's a way to keep under your calorie goals at least. It works for me. It's a perfect little lunch.
  • cspong
    Options
    What is your goal here? Are you looking for alternatives that are lower in calories? Or ones that incorporate more vegetables? Or things that are lower in fat or sodium or cholesterol or something else? Or are you just concerned about variety in his diet? Or what?

I'm just trying to find any alternatives... lower cal recipes that a pizza/bread lover might like... Take out or frozen pizzas arent really ideal as a daily meal, lol.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I love pizza and carbs. I never stopped eating it. However portion control helps me eat less. So instead of ordering a large and splitting it with my wife, we order two personals. At this point she only eats half and I only eat the whole thing if I don't eat the salad bar. We can eat what we have always ate just not at such gluttonous levels/quantities. Don't know that I really answered your question just another alternative.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    We make homemade Whole Wheat Pizza every Friday night. I've gotten it to 110 calories a slice (1/8) depending on your toppings. I use veggies, turkey pepperoni, organic sauce that's low in sugar and reduced fat mozzarella. We use to order 2 pizzas now we use a 12" inch whole wheat shell and we are full splitting this and very yummy! Takes 15 mins from start to finish.
  • cspong
    Options
    I found an AWESOME alternative here:

www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395604-3g-low-carb-pepperoni-pizza

So psyched!