Foot pod vs GPS running watches suggestions needed.

lculian
lculian Posts: 313 Member
What type of pace/heart rate monitor watch do you have? Are foot pods or GPS watches more accurate?

I've been running for 18 months and feel like its time to step up my game. I'm hoping that these devices will help me train more affectively:) I want to monitor distance, pace and calorie burn if possible.

Are there any brands you would stay away from?

Replies

• seventhe
    seventhe Posts: 6 Member
    I have the Garmin FR60 pack (shown here: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Fitness-Bundle-Includes-Monitor/dp/B001S2RCWS): it's a foot pod, a heart rate monitor strap, and the tracker watch.

I bought it because I run both on the road and on a treadmill and the footpod will work with both. I have GPS on my phone, with fancy running apps, if for whatever reason I want to track my run. I've found the footpod to be amazingly accurate in races; the only thing it can't do that a GPS watch can is track your elevation on a run (but it can do a treadmill, so consider that).

Having a HR monitor and a training watch (whatever kind you get) is an amazing way to step up your game. Being more aware of my pace and being able to program training plans got me through my first half marathon and improved my time immensely on other races!
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    I love my Garmin FR110. It's wonderful.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/p/product-reviews.html

Go here. This guy has reviewed all kinds of GPS watches. They are in-depth and awesome.
  • lculian
    I have the Garmin FR60 pack (shown here: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Fitness-Bundle-Includes-Monitor/dp/B001S2RCWS): it's a foot pod, a heart rate monitor strap, and the tracker watch.

I bought it because I run both on the road and on a treadmill and the footpod will work with both. I have GPS on my phone, with fancy running apps, if for whatever reason I want to track my run. I've found the footpod to be amazingly accurate in races; the only thing it can't do that a GPS watch can is track your elevation on a run (but it can do a treadmill, so consider that).

Having a HR monitor and a training watch (whatever kind you get) is an amazing way to step up your game. Being more aware of my pace and being able to program training plans got me through my first half marathon and improved my time immensely on other races!

Thanks, I do train on a treadmill sometimes, I would have never thought about using it then!
  • lculian
    I love my Garmin FR110. It's wonderful.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/p/product-reviews.html

Go here. This guy has reviewed all kinds of GPS watches. They are in-depth and awesome.

AWESOME review, in-depth is an understatement, Thank you!!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    More accurate in terms of what? The GPS will track your route, speed, and distance traveled. Footpod can track your speed and distance. As far as calories burned calculation, no difference. In fact, be careful of the models that use only the GPS or footpod for calculations and ignore the heartrate.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    www.dcrainmaker.com

Great, in depth reviews.

Whoops, someone beat me to it.
  • lculian
    More accurate in terms of what? The GPS will track your route, speed, and distance traveled. Footpod can track your speed and distance. As far as calories burned calculation, no difference. In fact, be careful of the models that use only the GPS or footpod for calculations and ignore the heartrate.

Accurate in terms of pace calculation. Thanks for the Heart rate monitor tip;)
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    My only caution on the foot pod would be that if you do not run at a steady pace then your mileage will be off. You have to calibrate the foot pod so that it knows how many steps you take in a quarter mile. This will change with pace.....
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    I also have the FR60 with the heart rate monitor and foot pod. After I calibrated the foot pod it has been very accurate. I recheck mine every few weeks at known distances and it's always been right on. I love being able to keep track of pace, distance, where my heart rate was at different points in the workout, and calories and everything and compare them from workout to workout.

On Garmin Connect you can go in and map out the route you ran and it will show you elevation changes. I really don't miss not having a GPS built in to the system.
  • sjohnny
    My only caution on the foot pod would be that if you do not run at a steady pace then your mileage will be off. You have to calibrate the foot pod so that it knows how many steps you take in a quarter mile. This will change with pace.....

Mine is accurate regardless of pace. It's not just counting steps, my understanding is that it has an accelerometer in it that is also measuring forward motion and converting that along with the steps into the distance that you tell it you have traveled while you are calibrating it.
  • Kilter
    Kilter Posts: 188 Member
    I have a Garmin 310xt and love it. I wouldn't trade it for anything except the new Garmin 910xt :)

As a triathlete, it's a no brainer for me to have the unit that is waterproof and has GPS. I use my device in the lake, on the bike and while running. To say that I use it extensively is an understatement.

If you are only planning on running and never biking, then a foot pod might work as well for you as a GPS enabled device. If you ever want to track swims in open water, you need a 310. If you ever want to track swims in a pool, you need a 910.

Good luck and keep pushing!

S
  • lculian
    I also have the FR60 with the heart rate monitor and foot pod. After I calibrated the foot pod it has been very accurate. I recheck mine every few weeks at known distances and it's always been right on. I love being able to keep track of pace, distance, where my heart rate was at different points in the workout, and calories and everything and compare them from workout to workout.

On Garmin Connect you can go in and map out the route you ran and it will show you elevation changes. I really don't miss not having a GPS built in to the system.

Sounds like all of the features I need, Thank you!!!
  • lculian
    I do swim and but have not started biking. However, you are making me think maybe if my fitness keeps developing I may want to pursue a Mini Triathalon. Look at that, thought I was getting pace information and now you've motivated me to challenge myself to a new activity. Thank you!!!
  • sjohnny
    I don't own a bicycle right now but am planning on getting one at some point in the future. Garmin's speed and cadence sensor for bikes is compatible with the FR60 as well as several of their other watches/GPS units. I plan on looking into it whenever I get a bike.