Quinoa Vegetable Soup

Options
SeasideOasis
SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
Since my BF is trying to be vegetarian for the month, after some kicking and screaming, I decided to join him on his mini journey. I think from this experience, I will grow a better understanding for spices and tasting 'food'. I made this last night, inspired by a fellow MFPer, and I hope you will all enjoy it as much as I did/do! I am horrible at posting picturing on the forums, but here is the link if you want to see that it looks like!

http://toneandgroan.wordpress.com/2012/05/08/quinoa-vegetable-soup/

Quinoa Vegetable Soup
Servings 8-10 Servings Size 1 Cup

Ingredients

1 Cup White/Yellow Onion – Diced

2 Cups Carrots – Chopped

1 Cup Celery – Chopped

1 Cup Bell Pepper – Chopped

1 Broccoli Stem – Chopped (Like Carrots)

2-3 Cups Butternut Squash (1 Medium Squash) – Diced

1.25 Cups – Quinoa

2 Cups Spinach – Chopped

1/2 TSP Curry Powder

1/2 TSP Turmeric

1/2 TSP Cayenne Pepper

1/2 TSP Chili Powder

1/2 TSP Garlic Powder

1/2 TSP Onion Powder

1 TSP Siracha

1 Quart Unsalted/Low Sodium Vegetable Broth

Directions

*Cook Quinoa per packaged instructions before or during the cooking of the rest of the soup!*

1. Chopped or diced all vegetables and toss in a large pot to saute. Careful to not overcook. Stir Occasionally.

2. Add vegetable broth, curry powder, turmeric, cayenne pepper, chili powder, garlic powder and onion powder. Bring to a boil, then cook covered for 7-10 minutes (or until vegetables are about desired tenderness).

3. Add chopped spinach. Add more water at this point if you feel there isn’t enough broth. I added about 2-3 cups and could have probably used a little more. Boil for another 10 minutes.

4. Pull of heat and add quinoa and siracha.

5. ENJOY!

Nutritional Information – Per Cup

Calories 94 Carbs 20 Fat 1 Protein 4 Fiber 6 Sodium 199

Replies