tracking foods

Options
chicfreak9
chicfreak9 Posts: 78 Member
In trying to be good in my tracking I have come across a dilemma. Some of my portion sizes do matched the measurement availability in the log. I seem to be over estimating the colories of some meals and/or food items. Example: homemade meatballs my kids made, they are about the size of a mini meatball in a can of chef boyardi. It is something that bothers me and I hope you can help me figure this out

Replies

• Hellaine
    Hellaine Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    For something like those homemade meatballs, you might be better off adding it igredient by ingredient in the My Recipe section and then setting your own servings size via what your comfortable with or whatever. I have a lot of recipes of my own--stir fry, smoothies, etc.--that I entered in manually ingredient by ingredient and set a serving to like, a cup, or 4 oz., depending. That way I could get as accurate a count as poddible, rather than trying to pick something LIKE my recipe and ****er around with the size.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    For something like those homemade meatballs, you might be better off adding it igredient by ingredient in the My Recipe section and then setting your own servings size via what your comfortable with or whatever. I have a lot of recipes of my own--stir fry, smoothies, etc.--that I entered in manually ingredient by ingredient and set a serving to like, a cup, or 4 oz., depending. That way I could get as accurate a count as poddible, rather than trying to pick something LIKE my recipe and ****er around with the size.

this...its a b*tch to do at first but once you save it, voila, it's always there...i have about a dozen recipes in mine for things i make more often than not...
  • ScullyKel
    ScullyKel Posts: 69
    Options

this...its a b*tch to do at first but once you save it, voila, it's always there...i have about a dozen recipes in mine for things i make more often than not...

Agreed! it is a pain to figure out at first, especially the total number of servings in a dish that you are making from memory. Though it can be rewarding when you figure out something you make regularly isn't really too terrible for you. I've even been able to improve some recipes calorie count by reducing the amounts of different ingredients or adding different lower calorie alternative ingredients.