Exercise with shin splints?

Options
Have recently starting jogging (treadmill) and think I pushed myself a little too hard the last 2 days and now have what I think is shin splints. On the inner side of my shin it's very sore and aches when I walk. Have just had my feet checked and got new shoes a couple of weeks ago.

I'm wondering do you work through the pain or break and give yourself a chance to heal? I'm not planning on hitting the treadmill tomorrow but wanted to Shred tonight and then just use various cardio machines in the morning. Haven't ever had this so wasn't sure.

Many thanks xx

Replies

• sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You can try some icing for the pain and give it a little time to heal. For next time use a foam roller of some sort on your calves pre and post run, shin splints come from over strain on the small muscles on the inner calf attaching to the shin when the large ones at the back are not activating enough. I'd also think about your stride, switching to a pose style helps for a lot of people.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    This exercise should help and you can probably fit it in before your exercise tonight: http://gizmodo.com/5902699/banish-shin-splints-forever-with-one-magical-exercise
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. :) I'll have a look into this pose style for tips.

Have tried the exercise and has given some relief but think I'll give tonight a miss as feeling a little worse now and keep doing this exercise over the next few days and hopefully see an improvement.

Ta x
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have had to take a rest from exercise for a few days because of shin splints. Wow! They are painful! I will give the exercises a try. Hope you heal up fast!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Ice massage works great for shin splints. Pop a dixie cup in the freezer and then rub it on the sore area for 8 min each. Take some NSAID's as well like Advil or Aleve.

Also, a thing to check out might be your shoes. Are you flat footed?
  • REET420
    REET420 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    When I played soccer my coach gave me an exercise for them and it helped me get rid. I'll try my best to explain it so it makes sense.

Sit on your bum on the floor with your knees bent slightly and put one heel on the top of the other foot. ( the top foot with the heel is used for resistance). You basically try to push your bottom foot up to point your toes up toward yourself and you push down with your heel to give it resistance. Its kinda like doing a calf raise but lifting your toes instead of your heels and your sitting
  • dewaltfan
    dewaltfan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have found that if you sit on the floor with your legs extended in front of you and have someone press your toes toward the floor while you try to pull them back towards your shins very helpful. The thing is that you have to stretch them several times a day and it will be painful but it does work. That was one of the exercises that I was given by an instructor at the fitness center at my college told me to do. I had to do this with my daughter earlier in her track season this year and she has not had any problems since we started doing this. Good luck!!
  • andi_everywhere
    andi_everywhere Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! My trainer keeps telling me it will get better and I suppose it has, a little, but this was me yesterday:
    531167_3394624377637_1030505728_3017192_1524531502_n.jpg
    The ice helped immensely and today I was back at it!