Have you heard of this?

Learning2LoveMe
Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
My sister was telling me about her weight loss plans today. Apparently she's going to do some sort of injection that 'makes your body burn the fat' and eat only 500 calories a day.... and it will 'make you lose 20 pounds in a month'. Has anyone ever heard of this?

I tried explaining to her that 500 calories a day would send her body into starvation mode and if she did lose anything it would be most likely muscle and that this diet idea sounds like a load of crap. (She doesn't listen:explode: ). I mean seriously - I don't take any pills or weird injections... just eat 1200-1500 a day and walk for an hour 3-4 times a week and lost 10 pounds in a month. Just wish I could get it into her head before she does something stupid. :mad:

If you know what this new diet fad thing whatever is called let me know... I wanna research it and show her why it would be bad... hope that gets to her head.

Replies

• AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
    WHAT!!!! It sounds terrible! I wonder how much damage it will do to her metabolism???:noway:
  • I think you should talk to your sister. She's doing this.

She will know what the injections are. Ask her for more information. Then when you have the name of the product you can do a search on it.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    My sister was telling me about her weight loss plans today. Apparently she's going to do some sort of injection that 'makes your body burn the fat' and eat only 500 calories a day.... and it will 'make you lose 20 pounds in a month'. Has anyone ever heard of this?

I tried explaining to her that 500 calories a day would send her body into starvation mode and if she did lose anything it would be most likely muscle and that this diet idea sounds like a load of crap. (She doesn't listen:explode: ). I mean seriously - I don't take any pills or weird injections... just eat 1200-1500 a day and walk for an hour 3-4 times a week and lost 10 pounds in a month. Just wish I could get it into her head before she does something stupid. :mad:

If you know what this new diet fad thing whatever is called let me know... I wanna research it and show her why it would be bad... hope that gets to her head.

Never heard of THAT one! It sounds horrible! :noway:
    If it were my sister, I wouldn't even wait to research it, I'd be trying like heck to talk her out of doing such a stupid, dangerous sounding diet!
    Hopefully, she'll listen to you, especially since you're losing weight by simply watching your numbers and getting exercise. FYI, I used to walk alot too, but found that there were just too many days weather wise that I couldn't. So, I started dancing to an oldies CD that my husband made for me with all my favorite old songs, such as Love Shack, Mony, Mony, Gloria, Call Me, and Footloose. It's fun, burns alot more than walking, isn't dependent on the weather, and I'm never bored, since I can watch tv at the same time too! :happy:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Is that the Dr Bernstein diet? It all works well while you are doing it or staying on their maintenance. She will lose weight. However, when she starts to eat normally, she will gain the weight back.

What does she learn about healthy eating and portion control on something like that??
  • chickylet
    chickylet Posts: 76
    Is that the Dr Bernstein diet? It all works well while you are doing it or staying on their maintenance. She will lose weight. However, when she starts to eat normally, she will gain the weight back.

What does she learn about healthy eating and portion control on something like that??

One of the guys at work had done this diet, Dr. Berstein, and it has worked for him but he does have to be very careful when he's not getting the injections. I have also noticed when he is getting these shots that he smells really bad. It's a quick solution but as Vicky says, it really only works as long as you stay with the program. I have another friend who did it for a few weeks and she found herself getting very tired very easily. You need carbs and you don't get many with this program. If I were you, I would try to keep talking to your sister and see if you can change her mind.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Some of the wisest words my mother ever said to me. I remember years ago there as a company called Fingerhut. I got a packet in the mail ( I was 18 and knew EVERYTHING!) So we didnt have much money and needed towels for the house.

Fingerhut had a set of 20 towels for $5. Five DOLLARS?? Woo hoo we can have a full matching set and look all fancy. My mom repeats the mantra above, I ignore her and order my 20....count em TWENTY towels for $5.

The box arrives and it is no bigger than a box that would fit 2 good size texts books. Mom is :bigsmile: , I am :huh:

The 'towels' were about as thin as a papertowel and 1' x 2' for the bath towels and the rest were the size of washclothes. Unless we were the Lilliputs no one was using these towels for anything but spilled milk.

I think about this story each time I am tempted by a get rich quick scheme or lost 20 pounds in 20 days.

Tell you sister she will mess up her metabolism, may cause serious harm to her body, and will gain back and EXTRA 10 or 20 once she goes off the HCG shots.

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member

Some of the wisest words my mother ever said to me. I remember years ago there as a company called Fingerhut. I got a packet in the mail ( I was 18 and knew EVERYTHING!) So we didnt have much money and needed towels for the house.

Fingerhut had a set of 20 towels for $5. Five DOLLARS?? Woo hoo we can have a full matching set and look all fancy. My mom repeats the mantra above, I ignore her and order my 20....count em TWENTY towels for $5.

The box arrives and it is no bigger than a box that would fit 2 good size texts books. Mom is :bigsmile: , I am :huh:

The 'towels' were about as thin as a papertowel and 1' x 2' for the bath towels and the rest were the size of washclothes. Unless we were the Lilliputs no one was using these towels for anything but spilled milk.

I think about this story each time I am tempted by a get rich quick scheme or lost 20 pounds in 20 days.

Tell you sister she will mess up her metabolism, may cause serious harm to her body, and will gain back and EXTRA 10 or 20 once she goes off the HCG shots.

Thanks for the story, that was my entertainment for the night, now I can go to bed laughing:laugh: (hope that doesnt offend you)
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    I'm gonna keep trying to talk her out of it... she's incredibly stubborn though. I don't think she's ever listened to me when she has her crazy ideas, even when she asks for my input :grumble: She's always been the extremist type... one extreme to the next and never level headed good approaches to anything.

She must have her head stuck in injections or something because she also mentioned a shot for $400 that makes you never want to smoke again. I said 'after one shot? I don't think so!'
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member

Thanks for the story, that was my entertainment for the night, now I can go to bed laughing:laugh: (hope that doesnt offend you)

Not at all!!:laugh: :laugh: My mom and I laughed about it until the day she died!!

I wish I had a picture of them............it would REALLY make you laugh:laugh:
  • Malvys24
    Malvys24 Posts: 66 Member
    I've heard of it and i've tried it myself. I did this several years ago but i would eat 500 calories on M, W, F, the other 4 days i would eat about 1200 calories. The "shots" i was getting was vitamin B-12 B-6 that help you speed up your metabolism and lose inches. I lost 15lbs in 4 weeks.

Maybe this diet is different but i didn't think it was crazy!!

Malvina
  • tookieb
    tookieb Posts: 89
    Hi there, my name is Michele, I have been on MFP since last October but have not been tracking Cals much in the last few months. But have managed to lose 10lbs just by cutting out most of my sweets and late night snacks.

The HCG diet is all the rage up here in Canada too; but there is a woman here who uses a Bio-feedback machine to "alter the frequency of water" or some such thing to mimick the way the HCG targets the stored fat cells.You then take 10 drops under your tongue 4 times a day for Xnumber of days. My cousin did it and had great results (lost 30 pounds in 45 days) and seems to be keeping it off.

Yes you are eating only 500 cals a day but your body is getting the rest from your stored fat cells (not muscle tissue or the fat the you need around your organs)

Supposedly, when you are done the diet your hypothalamus (spelling?) is reset to give you a higher metabolism. The big thing with this diet is to eat ONLY ORGANIC FOODS this includes the meat as well as veggies, fruit and any dairy you may take in. And take no medication (prescription or other). This diet follows what is called the Simeons Protocol.

I don't know if I want to try it but it sure is tempting. I just thought I would share what info I had been given with the rest of you. A little knowledge is never a bad thing.
  • bakergirl62
    bakergirl62 Posts: 248 Member

I bought these towels from Fingerhut when I was 18 too! :noway: Pretty sad all the towels fit in a shoe box and we paid super high interest rates on them. I knew it all too! :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.