How much is it possible to lose in 6 months?

Options
I'm 5'2 weighing 172(ish) lbs

My 21st is in 6 months and its a big motivator for me.
I'd like to know a rough estimate?
How much is it possible to lose in 6 months?

I'm cutting down by 500 cal a day.

AND
In the next month going to get an exercise bike/Elliptic machine To burn an extra 500 cal a day! :)

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Replies

• kristenlees122
    Options
    i think its safe to lose 1-2 lbs a week, right? anything more than that and you might gain it back twofold when you start eating normal again.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    It`s said you need a 1000 cal deficit per day to lose 2 lbs a week...This works for some but not for others...It worked great for me for around 6 months. And remember the more excercise you do the more cals you`ll have to eat back..
  • SerahLaffere
    SerahLaffere Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yeah.
    I'm hoping to lose on avg 2lbs a week!

I've noticed my weight does go down pretty quick when I curb my eating. High-ish metabolism, maybe?
    With the - 500 cal + Burning 500 + Cal exercise I should be good to go!
    I'm hoping to lose about 48lbs in 6 months. Too extreme maybe? I am young. Aha.
  • Sonnie124
    Sonnie124 Posts: 99
    Options
    I lost 26 lbs since October.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    As long as you continue to work on your goals... You will certainly be closer than you are RIGHT NOW:flowerforyou:
    "Never give up on a dream due to the time it takes to accomplish it... The time will pass anyway"
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Too extreme unless you are 100 lbs or more overweight
  • plr150
    plr150 Posts: 10
    Options
    One pound of fat= 3500 calories. Assuming you are eating appropriately for your BMR a reduction of 500 calories a day would yield a one pound a week weight loss. So 6 months= about 24 pounds. For long term weight loss goals, it's helpful to me to track my measurements too. Weight loss can be deceiving on scales, sometimes it makes it hard to stay motivated. Losing centimeters from my waist and hips is very motivating for me, as I know that it is a visible sign of getting thinner.
  • BeautyAndTheGeeks
    Options
    Too extreme because you aren't ridiculously overweight.
    Put it this way, if you want to look/feel better for your 21st, you're going to look/feel better whether you lose 20lbs or 50lbs, so just keep doing everything right and take what the scale gives you.
  • SerahLaffere
    Options
    It's not really EXTREME if I'm going to be losing the guided amount, no? I'm not going over -2lbs a week.
  • BeautyAndTheGeeks
    Options
    Losing 2lbs a week right up until you hit goal can be problematic when you go into maintenance. It'll be harder to balance out and you may end up gaining some of that weight back.
  • SerahLaffere
    Options
    Yeah, I want to lose about 30lbs (so I'd be my original weight again) Then go to 1lb a week then? Gaining 30lbs has put a hold on anything in my life right now. My confidence dropped like THAT. I barely leave the house. I use to moan about being 140lbs, but i didn't realize how much happier/confident I was at that. I want to be about 125lbs (My ultimate goal) I am patient. But losing the first 30lbs will help motivate me even more.