Hillshire Farm Grilled chicken breast

Options
gatorginger
gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
I had one of these today and it was very very good and only 120 calories per chicken breast. It tasted better than the grilled chicken you get at applebees which to me their grilled chicken taste somewhat like rubber chicken

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Factory farmed meat?

No thanks.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    This is the ingredients list (for chicken.....):

Chicken Breast, Chicken Broth, Contains 2% Or Less of: Dextrose, Potassium, Lactate (For Flavor), Salt, Flavor, Potassium Lactate (For Flavor), Salt, Flavor, Potassium And Sodium Phosphate, Yeast Extract, Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Sunflower Oil, Maltodextrin, Sugar, Canola Oil, Soybean Oil, Chicken Fat, Torula Yeast, Gum Arabic, Dehydrated Garlic, Modified Food Starch, Onion Concentrate, Artificial Flavors, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Disodium Guanylate And Sodium Acetate, Citric Acid, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Ascorbic Acid, Autolyzed Yeast.

I think I will stick to actual chicken - which is only 110 calories per serving with none of that stuff ^.

Edit to say - not trying to be rude or offend. But I don't know what half of that stuff is and I think the more unprocessed and natural, the better.
  • gatorginger
    Options
    Well gotta wonder what's in Mcdonald's chicken then lol, all I can say it was yummy and I don't mind having this once in awhile. Home backed chicken is better for you that is for sure but if I don't have time to make that this was a great substitute for me
  • Onesnap
    Options
    You can get family packs of chicken breast at Whole Foods for really inexpensive (I'm serious) and the chicken is from small family-owned farms.

If you want to put hormones, antibiotics, and GMO corn/soy (government subsidized of course) in your body go right ahead.

While we're on the chicken topic, Tyson is the worst offender of factory farmed chicken (source: Eating Animals).

I'll stick to chicken that I know came from a responsible, sustainable source.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Well gotta wonder what's in Mcdonald's chicken then lol, all I can say it was yummy and I don't mind having this once in awhile. Home backed chicken is better for you that is for sure but if I don't have time to make that this was a great substitute for me

If you're a parent you should really consider a healthier chicken source. Or at least do it for yourself.
  • jfl613
    jfl613 Posts: 71
    Options
    I had one of these today and it was very very good and only 120 calories per chicken breast. It tasted better than the grilled chicken you get at applebees which to me their grilled chicken taste somewhat like rubber chicken

Thanks for the quick fix. We all have times in our busy schedules where we would like to but just cannot cook every meal from scratch with fresh ingredients. I appreciate the tip!
  • gatorginger
    Options
    My kids are grown and the chicken was just for me and yes I plan to continue having it once in a while but thanks for you advice anyhow
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a matter of not HAVING time, I think it's a matter of not Making time. I buy packages of chicken breasts and set aside time on the weekend to cook and portion them. Much better for me and much better tasting.
  • eviltwinkie
    eviltwinkie Posts: 153
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. It's always nice to know what's available in a pinch!

Especially when I don't have the time to raise my own non antibiotic, non-GMO, socially aware and emotionally stable chickens.

Honestly, I don't actually kill them. I convince them to kill themselves for the good of society.

Unfortunately, they can't cut themselves up after death, so I do help out there.
  • gatorginger
    Options
    Lol eviltwinkie, I'm sure they are right about the stuff but all I know is they taste good lol
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    They taste good because they have at least 3 different forms of MSG in them (Hydrolized corn protein, autolyzed yeast and autolyzed yeast extract) which tricks your brain into thinking poor quality food tastes good!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Factory farmed meat?

No thanks.

My sentiments exactly.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick fix. We all have times in our busy schedules where we would like to but just cannot cook every meal from scratch with fresh ingredients. I appreciate the tip!

Most of us take 1 day a week (usually on the weekend) and prep meats, fruits and veggies for the week. That way no matter what comes up there is always something on hand to eat that was made from scratch with fresh ingredients.
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    One word; GROSS :sick:
  • mmklinemm
    mmklinemm Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I really hate this message board sometimes. You tried to do something nice by offering an opinion on something you thought was quick, tasty, and healthy. And you got bashed for it by others who don't agree with you and chose to criticize you. Sheesh... If they don't agree with you, just leave it alone. It's up to each of us to look at labels and make the choice on whether or not we want to eat it. You were just trying to help. So, thank you.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    My kids are grown and the chicken was just for me and yes I plan to continue having it once in a while but thanks for you advice anyhow

Bravo to you my dear who can respond so gracefully when others feel it is their duty to criticize you. I will never understand why some people feel they must be food police.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • gatorginger
    Options
    It's okay I don't take it personally, everyone has a right to make their own choices, but it was a bit rude for them to say it's a matter of making time as if they know my schedule. My life is busy and I'm hardly ever home so when I am home I just want to relax and not cook for a week. I work 10 hour days and I'm very involved in a lot things besides work
  • msprouse8
    msprouse8 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    When I read this, I thought.....this was me a month ago. Then someone on one of these forums pointed out how much more sodium these meats have in them and I was very surprised. I have started tracking my sodium, as well as calories. It is a good, quick and tasty meal in a fix and I do like it too. I try to shy away now because of the sodium......but it's up to each individual what they want to eat of course. After I started watching the amounts of salts in foods, I was shocked. You may want to check into that as well. :o)
  • klkelley
    klkelley Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. It's always nice to know what's available in a pinch!

Especially when I don't have the time to raise my own non antibiotic, non-GMO, socially aware and emotionally stable chickens.

Honestly, I don't actually kill them. I convince them to kill themselves for the good of society.

Unfortunately, they can't cut themselves up after death, so I do help out there.

I am falling out of my seat laughing!!!
  • gatorginger
    Options
    It has less sodium then what you get from grilled chicken at chillis. I watch the sodium too and I don't eat processed food every day. The sodium was only about 450 which isn't that bad, so what I do if I eat something processed I make sure I'm careful the rest of the day not eating too much sodium. I learned the sodium trap last month when my daughter brought it to my attention as she is on mfp also.