Nooooo upper body strength

jaxbeck
jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
I'm a little embarrassed to admit this but I have zero upper body strength. Even with lifting with 10 pound weights for the last month or so I can't even do one full girl push up or even a single pull up. Suggestions on getting stronger??

Replies

• docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    lift more weight.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Move up to 12 lbs.

And so on.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    I actually started my pushups against a wall, and against a counterop until I built up some strength, I still can't do a lot but it's much better than before so soon I hope to be able to do them like it's no big deal!
  • jaxbeck
    I actually started my pushups against a wall, and against a counterop until I built up some strength, I still can't do a lot but it's much better than before so soon I hope to be able to do them like it's no big deal!

I saw that in the above links, had never considered tht. I'll be doing 'em tonight!
  • jaxbeck
    Move up to 12 lbs.

And so on.

I was looking to not purchase any more equipment but it looks like I may need to....
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Move up to 12 lbs.

And so on.

I was looking to not purchase any more equipment but it looks like I may need to....

You have to progressively move up in weight to gain strength.
  • jaxbeck
    Move up to 12 lbs.

And so on.

Makes perfect sense, looks like I will be hitting the sporting store soon
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member

I saw that in the above links, had never considered tht. I'll be doing 'em tonight!

Doh, I should've looked at the links lol

I can now do about 10 girl pushups on the ground, then I have to get up and do some against the wall, but then I can usually get back down on the floor and do a few more, so huge improvement.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    I started doing them against the kitchen counter, but instead of going to knee push ups next like the link suggested, I just did them from a lower surface, the 3rd step...i am hoping to move to the 2nd step soon....

not a fan of the knee push ups...:smile:
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    when i started crossfit i had the same problem. i could hardly do a girly push up (on the knees instead of plank). just keep doing them every night and you arms will get better. i think ring rows really helped me too.
    EDIT-I can now do normal non girly pushups AND hindu pushups
    ring-rows.gif
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Move up to 12 lbs.

And so on.

If you can do more then 8 reps with a weight, time to go heavier. I was barely able to do 60 degree pushups before but now I do decline push ups
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Move up to 12 lbs.

And so on.

Bingo.

I started curling 10 lb dumbbells. I'm up to doing 30 lbs but only in 3-4 reps (I normally do 20's).

FWIW, I still can't do more than 5 pushups. My chest muscles are not trained enough for it yet.
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    I'm a little embarrassed to admit this but I have zero upper body strength. Even with lifting with 10 pound weights for the last month or so I can't even do one full girl push up or even a single pull up. Suggestions on getting stronger??

I am in the same boat! I tried last night to do 1 regular push-up and OMG, I couldnt do even 1!! But, these suggestions seem really good so, I guess I will start with the wall!! :)
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    I started out doing girly pushups from my knees then progressed to real push ups, then real pushups with good form. Now I can do 3x12 real pushups.

I choose a weight that is challenging to get 8 reps, once I can do 3x8 I increase the weight.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Find some selectorized dumbbells. Probably a lot cheaper than buying a bunch of individual dumbbell sets of varying weights.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Bumping for links!
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member

I am in the same boat! I tried last night to do 1 regular push-up and OMG, I couldnt do even 1!! But, these suggestions seem really good so, I guess I will start with the wall!! :)

good luck!
    I did them off the back of my sleigh bed too, forgot about that..
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    I 've had surgery on my wrist and have a metal plate in it. It causes discomfort for my wrist to have them flat on the ground. If anyone else has this trouble, I'd like to note that a Perfect Pushup ( something like this, but they sell them much cheaper, it's just an example: http://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/bodyrev-perfect-push-up-bar.html ) or something that swivels with handles is a lot easier on your wrist to use. Alternately, to work up to pushups, you can use the handicap bar in a bathroom stall. Just don't hit your head on the wall. ;)

**Edit: Or you can use dumbbells to grip and lower yourself. Anything that grips helps better than having the wrist at a 90-degree angle.