TOO MUCH PROTEIN

BABYLILAC
BABYLILAC Posts: 148 Member
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
Good day people.
I am struggling with my protein intake .I am always over by 10 to 50gramms a day everday.I am suppossed to be eating 45gramms a day.My carbs,fat and sugar is always aright what can I do with too much protein.is it bad to be over by that much protein in a day? Any low protein food list is apprecited.
My current weight is 160lbs
Daily calorie intake 1200
Carbs 165
Fat 40
protein 45
sugar 24
Your help is much appreciated.

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    extra lean protein is good. From what I have read, and I have read a lot, protein is good for you.

No worries!!:flowerforyou:
  • BABYLILAC
    extra lean protein is good. From what I have read, and I have read a lot, protein is good for you.

No worries!!:flowerforyou:

Thanks arewetheyet :flowerforyou: I eat a lot fish maybe a lot more than three times a week .i love my fish :love: tuna salmon,tilapia,makerel
  • AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
    I always go over on protein, I feel like it is a bad day if I don't because protein is so good for you! plus our body burns carbs first then fat then protein.:wink:
  • jfilon
    jfilon Posts: 80
    MFP sets protein intake levels pretty low, especially if you are working out on a regular basis. I wouldn't stress over it. Keep up the good work!
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    This seems to be a popular question this week. MFP automatically sets the ratio of percentag of calories to 55% carbs/15% Protein/ 30% Fat .The current recommendation is 50% carbs/20% Protein/ 30% Fat according to dietitians. However, I have also seen it at 40% carbs/30% Protein/ 30% Fat for people trying to loss weight or build muscle. You can adjust your percentages by going to "my home" click "goals," then click "change goals" at the bottom of the next page. then select "custom." ans it will let you adjust your percentages.

You don't really have to worry about too much protein, especially at the level of calories you are at. To eat too much you would have to eat 1.2 grams of protein for every pound of weight. For you that would be 192 grams of protein every day which is 64% of your calories and a LOT of protein.
  • BABYLILAC
    This seems to be a popular question this week. MFP automatically sets the ratio of percentag of calories to 55% carbs/15% Protein/ 30% Fat .The current recommendation is 50% carbs/20% Protein/ 30% Fat according to dietitians. However, I have also seen it at 40% carbs/30% Protein/ 30% Fat for people trying to loss weight or build muscle. You can adjust your percentages by going to "my home" click "goals," then click "change goals" at the bottom of the next page. then select "custom." ans it will let you adjust your percentages.

You don't really have to worry about too much protein, especially at the level of calories you are at. To eat too much you would have to eat 1.2 grams of protein for every pound of weight. For you that would be 192 grams of protein every day which is 64% of your calories and a LOT of protein.

Thank you very much and no I am not getting to 192grams a day that will be way TOO much .I will try and change my goals.once again thank you for all your responses:flowerforyou:
  • http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900

this article says that too much protein can be harmful. It also says ideally we should consume .36 grams of protein for every pound of body weight. Thats about what my food log says i should have.

I always go over on my protein and used to eat protein bars all the time. ive been trying to cut back on my protein but its so hard for me! i love cottage cheese and fish and if i have both in the same day i always go over. even things like milk and bread have protein in them! :ohwell: i guess i should be filling up on more whole grains or something.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900

this article says that too much protein can be harmful. It also says ideally we should consume .36 grams of protein for every pound of body weight. Thats about what my food log says i should have.

I always go over on my protein and used to eat protein bars all the time. ive been trying to cut back on my protein but its so hard for me! i love cottage cheese and fish and if i have both in the same day i always go over. even things like milk and bread have protein in them! :ohwell: i guess i should be filling up on more whole grains or something.

I thought that too. Until another user posted this clinical trial stating other wise:
    http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/2/1/25

Personally, I say screw it all and just aim for balance.
This discussion has been closed.