Injured Knee

Options
Help!

I injured my knee 2 weeks ago on a long bike ride. I am not sure why it hurts, I didnt fall or anything, but I cannot run or bike or do anything with my lower body for exercise. I can do upper body workouts but I can't even row because the bending of the knee hurts. I know I just need rest but I am getting depressed about not being able to run and cycle. I was running and cycling almost every day with weight training (which I am thinking maybe this injury is my body's way of telling me to slow down), but it is very difficult to stay on a diet when you don't get those feel-good endorphins from working out.

Anyone have any tips as to how I could get some heart pumping exercise in my day without my legs!?

Replies

• BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Help!

I injured my knee 2 weeks ago on a long bike ride. I am not sure why it hurts, I didnt fall or anything, but I cannot run or bike or do anything with my lower body for exercise. I can do upper body workouts but I can't even row because the bending of the knee hurts. I know I just need rest but I am getting depressed about not being able to run and cycle. I was running and cycling almost every day with weight training (which I am thinking maybe this injury is my body's way of telling me to slow down), but it is very difficult to stay on a diet when you don't get those feel-good endorphins from working out.

Anyone have any tips as to how I could get some heart pumping exercise in my day without my legs!?

Nope, wish I did! I just wanted to say sorry about your knee hurting you! I hope it feels better soon! :smile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    you should really have that looked at. could need just a shot of cortizone, or you messed up the tracking
  • CarolynD1986
    Options
    Yeah I might get it checked, but cortisone is not something I want... I am the natural remedy type person... I think it just needs some serious rest, which is difficult when you work standing and go to school etc...

I will get it checked soon though, 2 weeks seems long eh?
  • nickiebb
    nickiebb Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Try swimming! Just be sure to push off the wall gently. Good luck.

216974.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • CarolynD1986
    Options
    You know, I used to be a lifeguard and I swam my whole life. I really should get back into it.

Thanks for the suggestion!
  • nickiebb
    nickiebb Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Me too. I grew up swimming and lifeguarded through high school and college. I rotate between running, biking, and swimming. My knees still hurt though. It's probably a combo of being overweight and pushing too hard on my run days. Anyway, good luck. Hey, maybe you'll even get into triathlons!:happy:

Oh yeah, swimming vigorously burns just as much calories as running.

216974.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • CarolynD1986
    Options
    What a nice idea eh?

I realized how important it is to take care of your body when you push hard and also, how easy it is not to.
    My knee is simply telling me to slow down and take care of myself better. I was running 40 minutes a day, cycling for about 30 minutes (which, on its own is alright), also, going to the gym for about 1.5 hrs. On top of that, I was i full time summer school, part time job and trying to maintain a social life, all while trying to remain at 1200 cals a day. As soon as my class finished, my knee gave out... the body really knows when it can afford rest and when it needs to push and go.

That being said, if we want to be able to exercise and eat well for years on end, we need to take care of ourselves, which includes lots of rest, even if we feel we can push harder. It is things like this that cause the yo-yo weight loss, weight gain. I HOPE so badly that I don't gain the weight back. Send me some positive vibrations people :) haha
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Yeah I might get it checked, but cortisone is not something I want... I am the natural remedy type person... I think it just needs some serious rest, which is difficult when you work standing and go to school etc...

I will get it checked soon though, 2 weeks seems long eh?

If you have a patellar tracking issue, just rest will probably not help. Best option is to find a sports medicine doc who knows knees and get a specific diagnosis. Treatment will most likely involve rehab exercises and some taping --- antiinflammatories may be recommended for the initial treatment, but I doubt anyone would prescribe cortisone or another type of injection.

The problem w/many knee injuries is that they are caused by underlying biomechanical issues--flexibility and muscle imbalances. Without addressing those underlying concerns, you can waste several weeks "resting" and then find the problem crops again when you resume exercise. If it is just a simple tendinitis that will improve with rest, that is good, but there is no way of determining that up front.

Water exercise is often the best alternative to this type of injury--either swimming laps, deep water running, or aqua exercise.