Is paying for a personal trainer worth it?

Options
13»

Replies

• redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have a trainer and she's the manager of all the PT's at my gym. She did my initial assessment and we hit it off from the start. I got four free sessions for joining the gym and I just started working with her last week. She's helping me learn my way around and helping me correct some bad lifting habits, She doesn't stand over me while I do cardio, but she told me to only do three interval sessions a week and to never leave the gym without stretching. I think it is totally a good thing, since she also makes me do some moves that I hate but need to do.
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    I recommend it, but as everyone says, you should sit down and talk to someone or find a personal trainer at your gym that you have watched working with other clients that fits your style. I am committed to my trainer for 11 more months. He tortures me, but I always feel good when I leave the gym. I go 2x a week with him, and then 2x a week on my own. He logs all my workouts in a book, so I can go back and see how many reps/sets/weight I did and do weights on my own. Plus, he says it is a great way to see how far I have come by looking back at where I started.
    I personally go to LA Fitness, and I have enjoyed my first 5 weeks. Being committed gets my butt in the gym on nights, like last night, when I was really exhausted and would have possibly tried a skip! I go Mon & Thurs and I am obviously noticing a difference. He also gives me tips on foods/diet, etc. If you find a good trainer, I think it's definitely worth it. Good luck!
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Finding the right trainer is the most important. Look for a trainer experienced in the sport you are interested most. If you are a runner that races half-marathons and marathons, find a trainer that does the same.

You will waste your time and money if you are a runner and find a trainer that is a body builder.
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Ask about half hour strength training sessions and do the cardio yourself. That way your cost per session will be manageable and you will be able to stretch out your money.
  • NatsukoG
    NatsukoG Posts: 104
    Options
    I've had two experiences of personal training. The first was with someone who didn't really understand my goals and wasn't really that fit herself. She worked out with me but I didn't feel particularly motivated or pushed. I eventually stopped going and lost out on sessions I'd paid for.

My second experience was with a trainer who took a lot of time to understand my goals and motivation. He is very fit himself and passionate about health. He pushes me harder than I could ever push myself, watches my form closely and encourages me every step of the way. There's just no comparison to my previous experience.

I'd say that any reputable gym would give you a free taster session of PT and help identify the right trainer for you. Assuming you find someone you have a rapport with and you can afford it (they don't come cheap) then go for it. Deciding to work with a trainer this year has been the best decision I've made in a long time. I've lost weight before but this time I feel like I have a new mind set and I'm losing inches faster than ever before. I can't believe what I'm physically capable of and would never have known if not for my PT.

Best of luck whatever you decide.
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I love my trainer, she pushes me every week. I keep up and workout on my own, but when I am with her she makes me go that much further and I walk out of the gym knowing I accomplished something. We talk about nutrition and what I need to do in between seeing her.

I have seen some bad trainers, but I lucked out and am very happy.