Healthy Banana "Ice Cream"

Options
k8lyn_235
k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
saw this on pinterest and thought it looked interesting! it's "ice cream" made purely from frozen bananas! recipe and backstory here: http://userealbutter.com/2010/08/12/single-ingredient-ice-cream-recipe/

a lot of you may already know about this, but i have never heard of it! if you've tried it - what are your thoughts?

*edited to add recipe in case people didn't want to follow the link...

"4 bananas, just slightly overripe (brown spots good, completely black not so good)
2 tbsps creamy peanut butter (optional – thus 2 ingredient ice cream)
2 tsps cocoa powder (Dutch process), (optional – thus 2 or 3 ingredient ice cream depending on peanut butter)

DO NOT FREEZE THE WHOLE BANANA, you’ll have a heck of a time blending that beast.

Peel the bananas and slice them up into 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick disks. Place the banana slices in the freezer for about an hour or until they are frozen solid. Put the frozen slices in a food processor and pulse. First they will start to resemble gravel, but keep going. The bananas will soon turn into a frozen mush – at this point, start scraping the sides down (you will do this a lot). Or you could add a dash of milk since the liquid will help the blending. I’m lactose-intolerant, so after a few minutes of stopping to scrape the sides down, the banana begins to blend into a creamy texture. When the bananas look like whipped ice cream, you can add your mix-ins like peanut butter and/or cocoa powder, chocolate chips, toffee, raspberries, anything goes! Straight out of the food processor, the ice cream is like soft serve. You can also freeze it for a firmer texture. I find it’s pretty hard (and therefore, brittle) when I scoop it immediately after removing it from the freezer. Just give it a minute or two to soften up. Makes a pint."

Replies

• Nektariosmom
    Nektariosmom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This sounds great! Gotta try it
  • delco714
    delco714 Posts: 229
    Options
    google "Yonanas"... sickest thing ever
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Can't wait to try this...I love bananas.
  • Karrix
    Karrix Posts: 288
    Options
    Bananas :love:
  • suzikay12
    suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

I want a Yonanas machine sooooooo freakin bad! 2lbs to go and this will be my reward.
  • TeenieTJ
    TeenieTJ Posts: 10
    Options
    TRYING THIS!!!
  • lovetobethin86
    lovetobethin86 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    saw this on pinterest and thought it looked interesting! it's "ice cream" made purely from frozen bananas! recipe and backstory here: http://userealbutter.com/2010/08/12/single-ingredient-ice-cream-recipe/

a lot of you may already know about this, but i have never heard of it! if you've tried it - what are your thoughts?

*edited to add recipe in case people didn't want to follow the link...

"4 bananas, just slightly overripe (brown spots good, completely black not so good)
    2 tbsps creamy peanut butter (optional – thus 2 ingredient ice cream)
    2 tsps cocoa powder (Dutch process), (optional – thus 2 or 3 ingredient ice cream depending on peanut butter)

DO NOT FREEZE THE WHOLE BANANA, you’ll have a heck of a time blending that beast.

Peel the bananas and slice them up into 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick disks. Place the banana slices in the freezer for about an hour or until they are frozen solid. Put the frozen slices in a food processor and pulse. First they will start to resemble gravel, but keep going. The bananas will soon turn into a frozen mush – at this point, start scraping the sides down (you will do this a lot). Or you could add a dash of milk since the liquid will help the blending. I’m lactose-intolerant, so after a few minutes of stopping to scrape the sides down, the banana begins to blend into a creamy texture. When the bananas look like whipped ice cream, you can add your mix-ins like peanut butter and/or cocoa powder, chocolate chips, toffee, raspberries, anything goes! Straight out of the food processor, the ice cream is like soft serve. You can also freeze it for a firmer texture. I find it’s pretty hard (and therefore, brittle) when I scoop it immediately after removing it from the freezer. Just give it a minute or two to soften up. Makes a pint."

I make this its sooo good especially since u can do different flavors. So far I've only done chocolate peanut butter...yumm
  • msgremmy
    msgremmy Posts: 88
    Options
    I saw a similar recipe on Hungry Girl... and it's sitting in my freezer. I used banana, peanut butter and honey. Next time, I'll add some mini semi-sweet chocolate chips. It is really good!
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I saw a similar recipe on Hungry Girl... and it's sitting in my freezer. I used banana, peanut butter and honey. Next time, I'll add some mini semi-sweet chocolate chips. It is really good!

oooh honey would be good!!
  • eknobbe
    eknobbe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yum Yum Yum. I have seen this too and WANT to try it!!
  • dragongirl78
    Options
    bump
  • erintheinspiration
    erintheinspiration Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yummy! I love bananas! :)
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    can't wait to try!
  • islandpwp
    islandpwp Posts: 32
    Options
    I Tried this just frozen banana and tablespoon milk per fruit, served with squirty cream and flaked almonds, it was so yummy and even I thought it was a great substitute for banana split

cant wait to add peanut butter next time
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I do this a lot and it's realllllllllllly good. I make it with cocoa powder and chocolate PB2. Unfortunately we are all out of bananas right now :(
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    bump
  • delco714
    delco714 Posts: 229
    Options
    So worth it! I add a little dark chocolate and other fruit and some peanut butter... omgggg just saying

I want a Yonanas machine sooooooo freakin bad! 2lbs to go and this will be my reward.
  • nienie21
    nienie21 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've heard of this but haven't tried it. Thanks for sharing! :)
  • klynn08
    klynn08 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    OMG this sounds so good I have to try it, plus I have exactly 4 bananas left! Thanks for posting
  • chrissyrn04
    chrissyrn04 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I make my version of this all the time. I keep a bowl of diced up frozen bananas in the freezer. I take a cup of the frozen diced banana out and put it in the food processor with a dash of almond milk and some vanilla extract. Thats all I need most days but if I need an extra boost I will put some mini choc chips on top... yummy!