What protein powder do you use?

nas24
nas24 Posts: 880 Member
I'm about to head into town and get some protein powder to add to meal or make shakes with and i need something that is yummy and low cal also. Any suggestions?

Replies

• jazziesaj11
    jazziesaj11 Posts: 351 Member
    *bumpidy bump* xD I'm a newb at protein/whey powder too so I'd also like to know. Not only what taste good but are there certain brands that are better, or one's to avoid? :bigsmile:
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    I cannot tolerate any dairy-based protein powders, so I use Spiru-tein. It is very good-tasting and comes in lots of flavors. They have unsweetened and sweetened powders.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    I use GNC Lean 25 curtrently, but I like Muscle Milk too.
  • nas24
    Oh and yeah i was looking for whey protein...if that helps
  • sherrylhoward
    sherrylhoward Posts: 26 Member
    I've used several protein powders, all whey based that I really like!
    My favorite is Big ***** Formula that can be ordered online at www.big*****formula.com. It comes in GREAT flavors. I've also tried Gladiator protein that can be purchased from Smoothie King, Trader Darwin's Whey Protein from Trader Joe's and 365 Whey Protein from Whole Foods.

I'm pretty picky about taste, and they are all yummy!
    Good Luck!
  • desert_rhino
    desert_rhino Posts: 104 Member
    Second that for the 365 Whey from Whole Foods. It's not too expensive, and the vanilla is pretty tasty. Dunno about the chocolate... yet.
  • nas24
    wish there was a whole foods here, i live in the boonies now so the nearest is like 2 hrs away..:(
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    walmart, body fortress, chocolate peanut butter, cheap and tasty......even with water
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    I liked the Body Fortress chocolate, but that was the only flavor I tried. Now I'm using Muscle Milk Light chocolate peanut butter, which I really like, but I haven't made it with water yet, I've been using unsweetened almond milk.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Currently Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. I like chocolate and vanilla, but cookies and cream was on sale, so that's what I have now. It's pretty good too, though it's on the sweet side for me.
    walmart, body fortress, chocolate peanut butter, cheap and tasty......even with water

Sadly my Walmart doesn't carry the "Super Advanced Whey Isolate" anymore, just the "Super Advanced Whey Protien" which has creatine in it. I'm not afraid of the creatine, but I don't really need it for my current goals, and drinking it almost everyday made me pee so much I thought I had a disease until I figured out what was causing it. I do agree about the taste though, really good. The plain chocolate is pretty good too.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    The Costco kind that the makers of Muscle Milk put together.
  • Spudeata
    Spudeata Posts: 100 Member
    I use Sci-MX, currently have the diet vanilla flavour, tastes like melted ice-cream - absolutely lush :happy:
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 472 Member
    I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Natural 100% Whey, and Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Casein.
  • donna9089
    donna9089 Posts: 87
    ANS Power Maxx Hydro-Micronized Protein. Getting ready to try their preworkout in a couple of days...
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard (120 cals, 1.5g fat, 3g carbs) for vanilla & chocolate shakes, Syntrax Nectar (100 cals, 0 fat, 0 carbs) for fruit-juice flavor protein drinks.
  • mandamae
    mandamae Posts: 13
    Whey Gourmet Vanilla and chocolate! they are by far my favourite
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    I've tried a few.. I really like the GNC AMP Extreme.. it is super pricey but after trying the other stuff.. body fortress.. mustle tech etc: Not impressed.. The AMP mixes well.. I LOVE the carb/calorie/protien ratio.. If I'm gonna get a lot of carbs/calories with my protien I prefer them to be ones I add and like.. I like the smooth taste, I notice with the others I had a LOT of post workout soreness for a long time after, with the AMP.. I didn't.. My recovery time felt much faster.. I'm not saying it's the greatest out there.. but I think despite the $60 for 3lb price tag.. I'm going home to mama!!

GNC AMP Extreme.. Cal/Carb/Protien 280/7/60 (within 3 scoops)
    Body Fortress.. 280/8/52 (2 scoops)
    Six Star Elite...340/16/60 (2 scoops).. Makers of muscletech..
    MuscleTech... 260/6/50.. (2 scoops)

as usual you can use as much as you like. I normally broke my AMP up into single scoop servings.. not bad at 93 cals/ 2g. carb/ 20g protien... throw it in almond milk for variety.. adds only 35 cals. /1 carb/ 1 protien.. nice recovery shake that isn't at the macro cost of an entire meal!!

All were chocolate b.t.w.