Time to get serious about losing 85 lbs

Options
Hi everyone,

Just writing to introduce myself on here. Basics first: I am a female, and live in Philadelphia with my almost-fiance. I am 31 years old, and work full time in research (a sedentary job!). I have been struggling with weight my whole life, but I have finally reached a breaking point of admitting to myself that there won't be any other way than to just get serious and do it. In the past few hours, I have been at my record highest weight and not happy about it. My ultimate goal is to lose 85 lbs - from 230 down to 145. I know it's quite a formidable goal, but I hope to reach it within a year and a half.

So far, I really like the MFP website -- much better than a previous site I was using for tracking food (Livestrong). The food database is unquestionably better. I am also really looking forward to using the community actively for support.

I am a little nervous about it, but trying to have faith in myself and taking it one day at a time!

Replies

• mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    were all in this together !! we have the same goal too :)

we can do this... together x
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    welcome and feel free to add me!
  • time2shine29
    time2shine29 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    hey there i know you can do this! I started at 250 and have lost almost 35 lbs. I still have at least that much to go but I bet with good company you can make it happen! feel free to add me as a friend.
  • rsbrace
    rsbrace Posts: 30
    Options
    Sounds like a good goal! Consistancy is key, keep it at it and your hard work will pay off!
  • JConstine
    JConstine Posts: 69
    Options
    Hi there. Ooo, you and I have the same goal weight. I hope you'll continue to like it here and work towards meeting your goals. :D
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! This site ROCKS. I've been at it six months as of today - in fact, just wrote a post about that milestone here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/590668-six-months-in-40-there-and-lessons-learned

Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • fatgottago
    fatgottago Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    HI!!!!

Guess what I am right there with you. I know it is hard. What is hard for me is keeping up with the attuitude you have right now. I have been trying to stay on plan since January. I have only lost 25 pounds but that is better than not losing at all. I need to start eating cleaner and exercising more.

You can do this. It is all a mind game. WELCOME to the first day of the rest of your life....:wink:
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Your goal is similar to mine. I've actually already done this once before, lost 80 pounds but gained it back after two more pregnancies. Boo! But we can do it! :)
  • Spudeata
    Spudeata Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Me too, round about the same goal - lol I haven't completely decided, as I think I need to see what I look like as the weight disappears. I'm happy for you and anyone else to add me - but like friends who get in there and support each other - that motivation and comments on your own posts makes it all worthwhile :happy:
  • amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like,I'm 31 also from Pa hoping to lose a little more than you
  • PatasDeGallina
    PatasDeGallina Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    It took me 7 years to lose the first 40 lbs and I've lost 35 since I started using MFP last August. I'm going to try and lose another 15 lbs or just more sizes. (I'm 5'4" with a small frame so my goal might be different than yours.) I might start weight training at this point so I might start focusing on measurements. The scale has been stubborn lately, but I've also been under a great deal of stress.

The trick is to keep tracking every day, no matter if you went over or did terribly or didn't eat enough or whatever. I have found that being consistent in my accountability has been what has helped me stick to my goals.

Friend me! :happy:
  • ajswriter
    ajswriter Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    A year & a half is totally reasonable--I started at 236 in April 2010 & was down to 150s by the following May 2011. Now I'm at 139. You can do it! Add me if you want. This is a great site. Making it part of your daily routine--watching calories & exercise will do it! "Slow & steady wins the race" & all that... :)
  • helenna31
    helenna31 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    THANKS A LOT, everyone. I never even expected such a warm welcome, and so much activity within such a short time. Really looking forward to this journey now, and all of you are great inspiration.
  • ajswriter
    ajswriter Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    People are pretty supportive on here. We all gotta help each other out! Thanks for the add! :)