Why can't people tell yet?

Options

Replies

• aweightymatter
    Options
    Let me add that people might notice it, but maybe they don't want to bring it up yet for fear of saying it in an offensive way. Some people worry that noticing weight loss amounts to implying you were fat before :)

After I lost a ton of weight, most people I hadn't seen in a while said, "You look ... GREAT!" And I was super happy with that, because very few people want to say "holy **** you look like you lost 50 pounds -- which means you had 50 pounds to lose."

Great job on your success so far!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    glad to hear it's so many others too that this happens too. i have lost 10 lbs so far on my 5ft 2 inch frame. It's funny when i was gaining the weight, it didn't take anyone long before they said " oh i see you have put on some weight"... but now that i have lost that 10 and changing the shape of my body no one notices! i had a pair of dressy capris that i got from walmart a few years ago and they were size 10, today i bought the exact same ones in a size 6... so how can no one notice? it beats me! i am purposely not telling people i am trying to loose weight just to see if and when they notice it... if they know i don't know if i would get a honest comment from them...and them just say something b/c they know i'm trying...
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I started noticing at 10% of my weight lost...others really started noticing at 15-20%. So for you that would be you start noticing around 18 pounds and other people will really start making comments around 27-36 pounds. Hope this helps! I almost gave up when no one was noticing in the beginning...but now I am so glad I stuck it out!!!!!!
  • miss_september
    Options
    Yeah, I have lost 30 lbs so far, and have finally had one person notice this past weekend. I do tend to wear my looser sweatshirts, etc. when i am around people, as it is still chilly here (and with 30 lbs less of insulation I get chilly quicker), but I just try to tell myself that the less notice I get with my weight loss now, the more I will get later when I am close to my goal weight. Hang in there!
  • marywanoKC
    marywanoKC Posts: 176
    Options
    I'd lost nearly 25 before people began to notice. Regardless of whether or not I lose another pound, inch, or if anyone notices, I'm still glad I'm doing it, because I feel amazing. Positive reinforcement is always nice, though, so I get that it's frustrating when you don't get the reaction you'd hope for after losing quite a bit.
  • rheelizabeth
    rheelizabeth Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm only 4'11" and I've lost 9-10lb, you'd think it would be pretty noticeable as it's about 20% of the amount I need to lose altogether, yet I can't even notice it myself yet, except clothes being a little less snug.

It'll happen, least I hope so! :P
  • malissa41
    malissa41 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    no one said anything about my 28 pound loss yet :sad: but i'm gonna keep going can't wait to get that first compliment i will be soooo happy! :happy: i'm 5ft 2 started at 214 last year then started up again 80 days ago at 209 now at 186
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Just be patient. I swear, you'll lose two pounds and it will look like you shrunk overnight. I've been working out everyday and doing this for a few months, and just NOW everyone is telling me how "good" they think I look. Back then it was, "Oh, you can't have this cause you're on a diet, that's right!" and now it's "What are you eating, where can I get some?" "She's starving herself." [No, I've been not-starving myself for days and days and weeks and weeks now.] ....it just takes some time, and then it will be like, noticable whoosh.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I took around 20 or 25 for people to notice on me. My sister didn't notice until round 35 pounds. My parents haven't noticed at all, I guess we will see what happens when I see them over the weekend. So go figure. I can barely tell. It could be my own personal body dismorphia, since I spent pretty much the of last 10 years a little heavier than I am now.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    30 before anyone noticed now at 46 it's like everyone has something to say.
  • babbott165
    babbott165 Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm down 12 pounds so far. My coworkers have told me at least everyday for the past week that they can see a difference. I can tell, only because my work uniforms are a lot looser and I swim in them compared to 3 months ago when I was busting the buttons off the shirts and barely able to button the pants up. Standing in the mirror in just a pair of shorts I can't really see any differences though. My wife said she doesn't really see much of a difference either. MFP hs tracked my weight and measurement, I am down 3 inches on my waist. I know that eventually I will see the results. To the you the truth though, I FEEL different, I have a ton more energy and I sleep soundly through the night, and those are two things I haven't been be to say in over 8 years.
  • KGTraxler
    KGTraxler Posts: 144
    Options
    I can sympathize with you. It's SO frustrating when you've been working your butt off and people don't notice. But you notice and that's what's important. Plus, the internal workings of your body are probably severely thanking you. It depends on where you carry your weight and body type. If you are pear shaped then it may be more difficult for people to tell because your weight is more evenly distributed as opposed to someone who is apple shaped. I hope that helps; keep up the great work! Congratulations on all of your success thus far!
  • ashlee2012
    ashlee2012 Posts: 34
    Options
    I have definitely dealt with this since I started working to lose. The most frustrating thing is going places with my boyfriend because EVERYONE notices that he lost weight (without even trying!) I just stand there quietly and smile. I know someday they'll notice I did, too. Hang in there :)
  • amksmk
    amksmk Posts: 40
    Options
    yeah, i lost about 20 lbs when people started noticing. They will eventually, so just keep going <3
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I am a very small person so I felt like 10 lbs looked like a LOT (I am 4'11); when friends I hadn't seen in a long time were here last week they said my husband looked like he had lost a lot of weight :)

Try not to get discouraged- it is harder to tell for people that see you every day. You know you are making a change! Way to go!
  • bsjg1995
    bsjg1995 Posts: 5
    Options
    People don't always comment when they notice...Kind of afraid to be wrong.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    People CAN tell... they're just to shy to say anything for fear of being wrong when they ask, "Have you lost weight?"

So here is what you do... lose more weight until they are so astounded that their mouths go faster then their brains can stop them from blurting out compliments :laugh:

Seriously though, stick with it and wear a smile... the positive feedback will come.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Yup, 30 pounds before anyone noticed. I started at 230 pounds and the first anyone noticed was when I crossed over into the 190's.
  • rosalang
    rosalang Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    remember you are doing it for you and although its wonderful to get encouragement from others know you are doing really well and treat yourself with something new to wear each time you get to a small goal. people will begin to notice, i promise
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    So i started at 180 lbs about a month and a half ago and ive lost 16 lbs!! Yay! But... why can't anyone tell?? Everything that ive read has said that people should be able to start telling a difference at 10 lbs? The only people that have said anything are people who are just being nice because they know how hard im trying. Any thoughts??
    Thanks!!

You may see it with the numbers, but people who are normally accustomed to seeing you wont. The appearance of 10lbs, 15lbs, 20lbs lost will be different for everyone....

Personally speaking, I could care less if people notice... I deal with alot of negative people who love passing judgement, making nasty comments - they think I cant hear but I catch them everytime and I love grabbing it by the bull's balls...

Just concentrate on your health and dont worry about why the others arent noticing... you will stress yourself to death and cause your body to create cortisol, and then you wont like the results of what cortisol does to the body