Question for you bikers...

Options
I do the cycling class in the gym and it feels pretty intense. Well, now that the weather is good, my husband wants us to bike outside. I haven't biked outside in probably 20 years, but am looking forward to it. We were going to try a 17 mile ride today (going to a friend's house). On half of it there are actually bike lanes, the other half is just road. I guess I'm asking, am I overreaching and overextending myself? Too ambitious? 17 miles seems far as walking and running, but bike riding? Any thoughts or suggestions would be awesome?

BTW, I'm going to set up with our friend to be ready to pick me up if I can't make it the whole way.

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    It really depends on terain. How flat or hilly? How heavy your bike is? How good are you at switching gears?

I might be aggressive but you never know until you try.

Good Luck and have fun.
  • Rayoffitness
    Rayoffitness Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would go for it. You have a back up plan in place if it gets too overwhelming but just think of the sense of accomplishment if you complete it or complete just half. Whatever you do is better than nothing at all and at least afterwards you'll know were you are and you can push yourself from there.

Have fun with it and just do what you can...call your friends to get you when your body tells you its had enough....

Just my thoughts!
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. That was just the encouragement I needed. I agree with the accomplishment idea. Heck, just getting on a bike outside is an accomplishment for me. And our friends have a pool and hot tub waiting for us on the other end, which is a huge inspiration. Going to wear my HRM and see how many calories I can burn. That too will be an inspiration.
    Thanks again ladies. I love the support.
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I figure a good spinning class is worth about 15 miles on the road. So 17 miles should be no problem. Go for it and have fun.
    :smile:
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I figure a good spinning class is worth about 15 miles on the road. So 17 miles should be no problem. Go for it and have fun.
    :smile:
    That's what my husband and I were wondering. I actually think the road might be kinder to me than my instructor.
  • benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Have fun with it, It should be great being outdoors instead of in a room with an instructor. :happy: