Too big for average sizes, too small for plus sizes?

Options
Drawberry
Drawberry Posts: 104 Member
I don't even know where to begin on this one. The amount of frustration is growing to peak levels. So I'll come right out and say it.

I just want a pair of goddamn shorts!

Whenever I go pant shopping now it's a fiasco. I have a pair of pants that are a size 10 and fit fine. I have a pair of skinny jeans that are a size 16 and are too big at my waist and belly. As in I can fit two of me in the waist, but they fit great elsewhere. When I go shopping I try not to even care about what size I am getting if it fits right, but it seems like NOTHING is fitting right. Average size shorts seem to be made for 14 year old girls with no curves and I have a hard time fitting into them. Plus size shorts are made for someone with more curves then I have and I end up with LOTS of room left in the shorts and even wearing Boyfriends belt wont keep them up.

I am apparently simultaneously 'too big' and 'too small' at the same time.

y-u-no.png

Even when I was at my thinnest I have a VERY OBVIOUS hour-glass figure. I am busty, with a naturally slender (clearly not so much at the moment!) midsection and a very round bottom and thighs then my legs slender down from mid-thigh. I will always be curvy in this way and I don't mind it but it seems like with my weight gain I am having even more trouble fitting this.

Bermuda shorts make me look shorter then I really am, short-shorts expose more of my legs then I'd care too. I've thought about just going with a mid-length short and wearing cute summer tights or leggings under them so I can get a little more coverage and still stay cool. At 5'3 the more of my legs that are covered by shorts the shorter and stubbier I look :/

Curvy big girls out there, what ever shall I do?

Replies

• cpacilio15
    cpacilio15 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem!!! Its terrible. Torrid clothes sometimes fit me. There small size is good. I go to target and Ross. And the strange boutiques in the mall. Sad thing for us its we have a lot of extra shopping hours just to get a few pieces.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Have you considered a skirt instead of shorts? I know there are days that shorts just tick me off as do pants because let's be honest women have curves. Try stores you never shop in, let go of the too young or too old stores and just take a day to try stuff on for the fun of it, that's when you'll find something. Good luck, now if you have a suggestion for being too short and too tall at the same time I'd love to hear it. :)
  • minimalistmom
    Options
    I quit buying my clothes at the chain stores like Target, JC Penny, etc. and started shelling out the money for the good stuff like L.L. Bean and Boden. It costs me an arm and a leg, but I know I'm getting a good fit and great quality for my buck. If I'm in a pinch and need something quick (I need it in a day or two), I'll bust down and go to Kohl's.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Lane Bryant was my go to when I was too big for regular clothes, but too small for plus sizes. They have (had?) right fit jeans that ranged in size from about a 12 up to 20+, but they were made for woman with curves. I believe that they have shorts like that, too.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration OP. I stayed at this stage for a while and it was tough to shop. I personally lived in cute sweater dresses/stretchy tops and leggings. They were stretched so as I was losing weight the clothes did not fall off of me. It did come to a point where my leggings started to look like Hammer pants though so I had to retire them. haha!

I say either hold off on the shorts for a little bit or maybe try your luck a thrift shop.

Happy New Year!
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Are you shopping in the right section? There are 3 sections, juniors, misses and womens (plus) (sometimes 4 sections if they seperate out women's and plus. Juniors sections are for teens that don't have hips yet, you might have better luck shopping in misses or misses petite sections. Or try to find a store that does something like right fit pants, those do sizing based on your shape more than just the averages.
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Ebay.

Take the measurements of a pair of shorts that fit you well. You'll need waist, hip, rise (mid-crotch seam up to front waist), and inseam length. Search for shorts on Ebay, and then look at the measurements of the actual piece of clothing, NOT the size on the tag.
  • valeriefernandez074
    valeriefernandez074 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have learned to buy big and alter to fit. I am short waisted, flat butt, lower belly tire and big tatas, but small shoulders. So I am about a 14, but I often buy plus size, 16-18 or 1x and nip, tuck at the shoulders and below the bust, add darts, etc. until I get a good fit. If it is too complicated a fix, I take it to a tailor.