CDC says in 2030 42% of Americans will be obese and I say...

Options
I'm going to take a moment from my normally positive self and rant a moment. You can agree or disagree, but this is my opinoin..

The CDC came out with a study that says 42% of Americans will be obese by 2030..

My first problem is they use BMI to determine if you're obese. So I'm almost obese. Michael Jordan(the basketball player) was obese in his prime. Almost all Professional & College Football, Basketball, and Baseball Athletes are overweight or obese based on BMI.

2nd, What the hell is the CDC or US Government going to do about this? It is up to an individual wether you are obese or not.. Nobody is going to change that. Either you decide you want to lose weight or you choose not to. Are they going to punish people for being fat? I'm in better shape then most people with a healthy BMI, but Insurance companies will charge me more because I'm built bigger than most. So is the US Government going to tax me more.

3rd, I think the problem is over blown. I deal with people and watch people everyday. There are fat people walking around, but not 30something percent of the people. This is just another way for people to tell me and others how to live. Take care of yourself and let fat people be fat. When they decide it time for them to lose weight, they will or they will die from it. There is nothing The US Government or CDC or any other doo gooder busy body can do about that.

I'm Just saying. For most People, being fat, obese, or pleasantly plump is a choice. We were blessed and cursed with free will, how you choose to live your life is up to you. You make bad choices, you should and will pay the price... If in the United States of America, you don't know that being obese is unhealty, it's nobodies fault but your own.

Hope everybody has a great day.

Replies

• DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options

2nd, What the hell is the CDC or US Government going to do about this? It is up to an individual wether you are obese or not.. Nobody is going to change that. Either you decide you want to lose weight or you choose not to. Are they going to punish people for being fat? I'm in better shape then most people with a healthy BMI, but Insurance companies will charge me more because I'm built bigger than most. So is the US Government going to tax me more.

Yes, It's fondly known as the fat tax and is in place in several other nations such as Japan and Denmark. This topic was hot in 2010 and has since resurfaced and was trending last month in several noteworthy publications. Almost 3/4 of the population in the polls taken so far have shown to not be in favor but then again the majority were not in favor of Obamacare either yet it still made the books. Look for this tax to be laid to the states for regulation of a Federal decision, most likely being put in place as a concession for the partial repeal of Obamacare.
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Good observations.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Been there, done this..
    How do these chart makers know how much everybody weighs everywhere?

QUOTE:
    Haha, well I haven't BEEN to a doctor since I was 11. Maybe I should have clarified. So unless the government has spies in my bathroom there is some extrapolation happening somewhere.

Silentnacht - There's limitations.
    I didn't see the current report so I copied the method 2009's report, which was released in 2010. Same method though.

QUOTE:

The Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) measures height and weight through self-report in state-based surveys; data are released every year. In 2000, a Healthy People 2010 objective was established to reduce the prevalence of obesity among adults in the United States to 15%.* This objective is based on obesity prevalence from measured height and weight among participants in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES). Because NHANES provides only national and not state-specific estimates, CDC uses the state-based BRFSS data and applies the 15% prevalence figure as a reasonable target for self-reported obesity prevalence in the states. As of 2007 (6), no state had met the Healthy People 2010 objective to reduce the prevalence of obesity among U.S. adults to 15%. To characterize the most recent trends, CDC used data from the 2009 BRFSS survey to estimate the national and state-specific prevalence of obesity among adults aged ≥18 years.

Methods

BRFSS is an ongoing annual, state-based, random-digit--dialed landline telephone survey of the U.S. civilian, noninstitutionalized adult population. States use BRFSS data to identify and monitor the prevalence of behaviors and health conditions and to develop and evaluate risk prevention initiatives. BRFSS data are weighted for probability of selection to match the age-, race-, and sex-specific populations of participating states and the District of Columbia (DC). Since 1984, BRFSS has asked survey respondents to report their weight and height. All 50 states and DC have contributed these data since 1996. The body mass index (BMI) (weight [kg] / height [m]2) is calculated for each participant, based on self-reported weight and height. Obesity is defined as BMI ≥30. For consistency with previous analyses, respondents reporting weight ≥500 pounds or height ≥7 feet or <3 feet were excluded, and unadjusted prevalence estimates were reported for each state and by selected sociodemographic characteristics. In the 2009 BRFSS survey, Council of American Survey and Research Organizations (CASRO) response rates ranged from 37.9 to 66.9% (median: 52.9%), and cooperation rates ranged from 55.5% to 88.0% (median: 75.0%).† A total of 405,102 persons participated. Prevalence estimates were compared with previously published estimates from the 2000, 2005, and 2007 surveys (6,7). T-tests were used to assess statistical differences in the total prevalence estimates.

Actual patterns of obesity tell a different tale. Threshold effect. ;)
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    BMI is a decent baseline, but bodyfat % is a more accurate system to go on to identify obesity (obviously)

The government will do nothing about it for a lot of reasons. One of them is the profits in fat people. Obese and MORBIDLY obese people bring in a lot of money in insurance premiums and insurance lobbiests own congress.

That's one of many reasons. I'd say the biggest is because the American government would never get away with being able to mandate anything like an exercise regime. While it would be beneficial to the working class and make sense for everyone involved, Americans do not take kindly to being told what to do by anyone especially the feds.

Until a fat tax (a very hefty one, no pun intended) is levied on goods, or a "junk food debit card" is in place there will be no change. A junk food debit card would be your drivers license for example, and it would limit how many things you could eat in a day. You'd have to swipe it before making a fast food purchase, etc.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    whatever...just as long as im not gonna pay for your cholesterol, diabetes, blood pressure medication just because you cant put down the cheese burger... these people are costing the health care system a fortune.
  • fraser112
    fraser112 Posts: 405
    Options
    [quo

Until a fat tax (a very hefty one, no pun intended) is levied on goods, or a "junk food debit card" is in place there will be no change. A junk food debit card would be your drivers license for example, and it would limit how many things you could eat in a day. You'd have to swipe it before making a fast food purchase, etc.
    [/quote]
    Dont worry about it fat people pay more for healthy care so they get taxed anyway. No matter what you do people will blame someone else. Oh fast food is cheaper durr i dont have time to cook i cant control what my kids eat i dont have time to exercise.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    BMI is a decent baseline, but bodyfat % is a more accurate system to go on to identify obesity (obviously)

[edit for brevity]

I highly agree with this, but then you're going to have to get everyone to agree on a method of determining body fat. I personally go by the DEXA scan, but quite a few folks on here swear by calipers or even bio-impedance scales. i am doing great according to my trainer's calipers, but the DEXA tells a different (and much more accurate) tale.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    whatever...just as long as im not gonna pay for your cholesterol, diabetes, blood pressure medication just because you cant put down the cheese burger... these people are costing the health care system a fortune.

Sorry, you are already and you will continue to have to pay more and more every year. Say "thanks" to every morbidly obese person you see.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Living in what was recently declared the most over weight city in America I would have to say that I think the CDC number may be low.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

Sorry, you are already and you will continue to have to pay more and more every year. Say "thanks" to every morbidly obese person you see.

lol i know right..
  • fraser112
    fraser112 Posts: 405
    Options
    Living in what was recently declared the most over weight city in America I would have to say that I think the CDC number may be low.
    we ge ta good program over here called supersize vs superskinny. every week each contestant visits a new super obese person. Its like they have formed some super obese union i bet a talent agency only caters to them :laugh:
  • lau444
    lau444 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't get the point of these studies. The American economy makes BILLIONS of dollars a year from obesity-related medications and supplies. Not to mention the $$ pouring in each year to the weight loss industry. I find it hypocritical of these government organizations to perform these studies, pointing fingers at people, when this is the same government that subsidizes unhealthy school lunches and only requires one state to have weekly physical education.

*steps off of my soapbox*
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't get the point of these studies. The American economy makes BILLIONS of dollars a year from obesity-related medications and supplies. Not to mention the $$ pouring in each year to the weight loss industry. I find it hypocritical of these government organizations to perform these studies, pointing fingers at people, when this is the same government that subsidizes unhealthy school lunches and only requires one state to have weekly physical education.

Exactly. People have choices, but the government declaring pizza a vegetable sure doesn't help.

I also agree that BMI is GENERALLY not a bad measurement for a population, but body fat percentage is far better. I really think they need to account for multiple statistics when determining who is at greater risk for premature health problems from their size than these two things though including body measurements (especially around the midsection), activity level, family history, and dietary habits. Excess body fat doesn't always guarantee premature health problems, though it's a huge contributing factor.

Example: my grandfather worked his entire life in construction and house painting and never weighed more than 150 lbs (he's 5'8"). He had a massive heart attack at age 45. Another smaller one at age 65. He just had his third at age 79. He's always been fit and lean and never smoked. Sometimes it's genetics.
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    we ge ta good program over here called supersize vs superskinny. every week each contestant visits a new super obese person. Its like they have formed some super obese union i bet a talent agency only caters to them :laugh:

love that show! but it's a pretty dumb approach to weight loss/weight gain since its just eating more or less, not eating the right things!
  • rsparks38
    rsparks38 Posts: 51
    Options
    I'm sorry, but 30% of people walking around where I live ARE obese, and I used to be one of them. It is a problem. Manufacturers put high fructose cornsyrup in almost all processed foods. Maybe we could start addressing the problem with that.
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options

Exactly. People have choices, but the government declaring pizza a vegetable sure doesn't help.

I also agree that BMI is GENERALLY not a bad measurement for a population, but body fat percentage is far better. I really think they need to account for multiple statistics when determining who is at greater risk for premature health problems from their size than these two things though including body measurements (especially around the midsection), activity level, family history, and dietary habits. Excess body fat doesn't always guarantee premature health problems, though it's a huge contributing factor.

Example: my grandfather worked his entire life in construction and house painting and never weighed more than 150 lbs (he's 5'8"). He had a massive heart attack at age 45. Another smaller one at age 65. He just had his third at age 79. He's always been fit and lean and never smoked. Sometimes it's genetics.

thats the lobbyists and corporations in politician's pockets!! that makes me so mad. i will go on a rage about monsanto.

about your grandfather eat a lot of red meat? that could have contributed to :/
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

thats the lobbyists and corporations in politician's pockets!! that makes me so mad. i will go on a rage about monsanto.

about your grandfather eat a lot of red meat? that could have contributed to :/

Actually he ate a mostly vegetarian diet and grew most of his own food for most of his life. He did eat some red meat, but not a lot. It just happens to some people and not others. He still tends his garden every summer.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's different in the South, but it seems like a large majority of people are obese.
  • Brechin89
    Brechin89 Posts: 92
    Options
    Insurance companies, and the government is the biggest crooks in the world...

What are they going to do TAX people for taking up too much room? Or eating too much food? Whats it to them, the gov't was funded on the principles of freedom. As it is we don't have enough freedom... I would like to see them tax people for being fat though... Mainly because I find it funny that they would tax themselves. 80% of politics are fat...

If they really want to fix this "problem" why not make Physical Education or Personal Fitness a daily class for every school? Why not open PUBLIC gyms funded by the gov't.. Why not teach kids about nutrition? Why not have a real HEALTH class instead of teaching kids about what bones are in our body and what all the ligaments are called?

BMI is not accurate at all. Guys at the gym can be 5'5 180lbs and be 13% bf.... Does that make them fat?
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    Insurance companies, and the government is the biggest crooks in the world...

What are they going to do TAX people for taking up too much room? Or eating too much food? Whats it to them, the gov't was funded on the principles of freedom. As it is we don't have enough freedom... I would like to see them tax people for being fat though... Mainly because I find it funny that they would tax themselves. 80% of politics are fat...

If they really want to fix this "problem" why not make Physical Education or Personal Fitness a daily class for every school? Why not open PUBLIC gyms funded by the gov't.. Why not teach kids about nutrition? Why not have a real HEALTH class instead of teaching kids about what bones are in our body and what all the ligaments are called?

BMI is not accurate at all. Guys at the gym can be 5'5 180lbs and be 13% bf.... Does that make them fat?

I wonder if P.E. has changed at all over these years. I never learned to do anything, I was just forced to keep running a track because I was too slow to finish a mile in a set time. Never learned to do any kind of exercise, never learned about nutrition or food. That was years ago, but it doesn't seem to have gotten any better for kids these days.