Hot Sauce?!?!

Options
Well I just opened the fridge and found some hot sauce that was left over from a family member's Mexican take-out! Oh my goodness, I grabbed that sucker and put it over my meal in a heart beat! I love hot sauce (spicy...but not super-doper spicy). Anyway, my mom, who is also trying to lose weight (a family that eats together, gets big together..lol) advised me that hot sauce makes you crave more food so it is best to stay away from it. Is this true? I have never read anything like this....so I don't know where she gets it. Perhaps there is an ounce of truth to it, but I am biased because I am not ready to put the hot sauce bottle down yet. Anyone? Thank you in advance for your response :)

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    hot sauce is perfectly okay. Most of them are even calorie free, so go crazy with it if you like it!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Never heard this before but I would imagine that even if there IS any evidence towards it, it will be highly personal and individual.

I say enjoy your hot sauce. If for some reason you think hot sauce causes you to overeat, then stop using it.

I use buttloads of hot sauce (Sriracha and Tapatio are my favorites) on a regular basis.
  • mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your hot sauce!!! I like spicy, too! Good way to add flavor to your food without a bunch of calories!
  • steph124ny
    steph124ny Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if it is true, but I have heard that hot sauce can speed up your metabolism...and since most of them are either very low, or no calories...Go for it! :D
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    mmmm franks red hot all over chicken! in a flax wheat wrap and a little salsa.. GIVE!
  • MystiqueASAP
    MystiqueASAP Posts: 747
    Options
    I eat hot sauce on practically everything. I never heard of it making you crave more food; although, depending on the amount of sodium it has in it, it may make you thirsty.
  • Jeliwood
    Jeliwood Posts: 61
    Options
    I think they're right about the salt content making you thirsty but also the heat factor can do the same. If you're drinking soda (which you shouldn't be drinking it anyway) it could make you drink more. Or I suppose whatever you're drinking with it. So, I guess it could be bad calorie wise that way! I don't think it would matter if you're smart about it. :)

I adore a mild hot sauce on tacos. I'm certainly not going to stop eating it!
  • vmessyness
    vmessyness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i've actually heard the opposite. you are less likely to over eat spicy foods.
  • Ro40
    Ro40 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love hot sauce too, I think spices help in burning calories and I feel less cravings after adding hot sauce to certain foods as long as the hot sauce is not laden with oil and has minimal calories.
  • anastasiawildflower
    anastasiawildflower Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    The idea behind it is that supposedly spices help kick up your metabolism. I have no idea how true or not this may be. In my own experience, spices do seem to affect how hungry I am after a meal, but at the same time, I tend to watch what I eat better (partially because the spice forces me to savor my food a little more). All depends on how much you believe it and how you handle it.