Help determining lifestyle?

Options
Hi everyone, I need a little help determining if I live a sedentary lifestyle. Here is my status

Current Weight: 211 lbs
Height: 5'10"

I have a part time job at a grocery store, where I work three different positions. One position is a cashier, where I stand in a stall and ring groceries anywhere from 5 to 8 hours a day, one to two times a week. The other position is a grocery clerk, where I stock shelves, which involves a LOT of walking (3 to 4 hours per shift) and moving of boxes (which aren't at all heavy, but on occasion i break a sweat), one to two times a week. The third position involves retrieving carts from the store's parking lot, which Is the most physically demanding out of the three. I spend at LEAST 3.5 hours walking/speed walking, one to two times a week.
EDIT: I work 4 to 5 days a week (24-32 hrs)

Secondly, I am a full time student at a local college. I go three days a week, and walk a good mile or so on a daily basis (between class, the library, etc).

Also, I workout 5-7 days a week on average, doing very few reps of heavy lifting for 10-15 minutes, and always ending my workout with 40 min of HIIT stairmaster training, and 60 min of L/HIIT on the elliptical machine (I alternate between these two every 4 weeks)

And finally, the part that confuses me, is what I do when I'm not doing any of these things. I don't have much of a social life, so when I'm not working, exercising, or at school, I am at home on my bottom in front of my computer either A) goofing around or B) doing homework. The sitting accounts for a good 6 hours of my day, and pretty much ALL day on the weekends.

So, my question is, do I live a sedentary lifestyle? I'd like to think so because of the amount of time I spend in front of the computer, but am not sure if my work/exercise offsets my computer time. I've read several posts, but cant seem to answer my own question. The answer may be clear as day to some of you (I'm hoping it is!), and I am asking you to clear up my confusion! Thanks

-Damon

Replies

• jlhill7
    jlhill7 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I would set it as Lightly Active with work outs days and amount
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    It isn't going to make a huge difference. If you are lightly active or sedentary. What matters is that you get started, and see how it goes for a month. If you are not losing, you set it to sedentary. If you are losing but hungry all the time, set it to lightly active.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I think you are leaning towards lightly active.

However, you can always err on the side of caution if it makes you nervous not to. What you can do is set it at sedentary, see how your weight lose goes, and then increase or decrease your cals based on how quickly you are losing (using at least 6 weeks or so as a time frame). As in: if you wanted to lose 1.5 lbs a week but in 6 weeks you have lost 12 lbs, then you should increase your daily cals by 250 a day (3500 cals/lb, 3500/2 = 1750, 1750/ seven days a week = 250 cals/day).

Remember healthy weight loss is 1-2 lbs per week, depending on how much you have to lose.
  • daaamon
    daaamon Posts: 25
    Options
    Thank you jlhill7, dsjohndrow, and jsapninz for the replies; all three helped. I decided I'm going to leave it as sedentary, and make adjustments from there! Expect some results in the future :D