WTH? Seriously confused

Options
OK, so I know I can shift water weight significantly, as I have often gone up or down by 6-8lbs overnight... I am really bad at dehydrating myself unintentionally, and when I go on my "I need to eat better and drink lots of water " kicks, it shifts FAST.. But.. This is just stupid.
I weighed myself Sunday, started eating healthy, drinking water Monday.... Weighed myself 7 hours ago.. Down 1lb... Was like... "Weird" but w_e.

Just walked by the scale and decided to be neurotic and reweigh... Down 6,8lbs in 7 hours? WTF?

Replies

• mjoekidd
    mjoekidd Posts: 45
    Options
    Hi Jewelz, how much salt do you bring in a day? If your salt intake drastically changes from day to day that can lead to water weight fluctuations.

Joe
  • lmfbs
    lmfbs Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    How accurate are your scales? Many digital scales can give a reading that's 4-6 pounds off just by you stepping off and on again.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    "Many digital scales can give a reading that's 4-6 pounds off just by you stepping off and on again."

If you have a scale like that, throw it in the garbage.
  • moepwr
    moepwr Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You lose water through breathing, sweat, urination and all this can cause weight loss or gain. I weigh myself on Saturday's , that's it. Keeps me sane.
  • hanna6774
    hanna6774 Posts: 225
    Options
    You don't sound confused, you sound obsessed. The numbers on the scale will drive you nuts - can change with no rhyme or reason. Stress, not enough food, too much exercise, too much food, not enough exercise, not enough water, too much salt, processed foods, fat, periods, constipation - you name it. Put that scale away and try to weigh yourself once a week and take your measurements monthly. If you are honest with yourself as to what you drink, eat and exercise, you will get a true picture of your progress. Be patient and realistic - depending on how much you have to lose - it can be a long haul. Good Luck!:flowerforyou:
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    OK, so I know I can shift water weight significantly, as I have often gone up or down by 6-8lbs overnight... I am really bad at dehydrating myself unintentionally, and when I go on my "I need to eat better and drink lots of water " kicks, it shifts FAST.. But.. This is just stupid.
    I weighed myself Sunday, started eating healthy, drinking water Monday.... Weighed myself 7 hours ago.. Down 1lb... Was like... "Weird" but w_e.

Just walked by the scale and decided to be neurotic and reweigh... Down 6,8lbs in 7 hours? WTF?

Maybe you just have a crappy scale? I had one that would give me one weight, then I'd step off and back on and it'd give me a weight that was 2 pounds different. I ended up investing in one of those upright scales with the weights on them like in doctor's offices, much more reliable.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience a few weeks ago. I weighed in at 224 on a Friday, the lowest I have been. Then the following Sunday, I jumped up almost 5 lbs. I then yo-yo'd for about 2 weeks, up 3, down 2, etc.. Then one Friday I stepped on the scale, and not only did I lose the water weight, but an additional 4 lbs. It fluctuates so much sometimes, despite how careful you might be with your food intake. It's really irritating!! Fortunately it does go back to normal, it just seems like it takes forever....Hang in there!!!
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations are normal. Make your official weigh in once a week, same day, in the morning, post-bathroom, before breakfast, in the nude. Besides that, don't obsess the day-to-day numbers or TOM weight gains.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    "Many digital scales can give a reading that's 4-6 pounds off just by you stepping off and on again."

Once I passed gas, got back on, and mine read I gained 2 lbs.

The sound of BLAM in the trashcan was very satisfying. :)
  • Bikerjewelz
    Bikerjewelz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Ya, my salt intake isn't the best, and at that im on a pill for releasing excess spinal fluid as I have something that tries to trap it in my head.. King story, so like I say, I'm used to the overnight fluctuations... I guess we'll see tomorrow. I could never weigh only once a week even though it's the only healthy/smart way.. Anorexic mentality :(
    And my scale is totally dependable!
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Did you burn 20,000 calories in an awesome workout that day? :bigsmile:
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    maybe you need a new scale?
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 lbs one day on my scale. The next day I bought it new batteries. :grumble:
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options

or change the batteries!
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I step on scale in morning, then step off, then step back on.. If its the same, I record it.... If not, then I do not record it... I do this every morning, but I do not hold myself to the daily number... Just my Sunday numbers!!!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    weigh yourself on the same scale and at the same time every time!
  • mboktay
    mboktay Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Once a week is enough otherwise you will go crazy. Check the scale too!
  • mjoekidd
    mjoekidd Posts: 45
    Options

Once I passed gas, got back on, and mine read I gained 2 lbs.

The sound of BLAM in the trashcan was very satisfying. :)

OMG too funny!!
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 lbs one day on my scale. The next day I bought it new batteries. :grumble:
    Did the same thing when the scale told me I'd dropped 20 pounds in 24 hours...
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I step on scale in morning, then step off, then step back on.. If its the same, I record it.... If not, then I do not record it... I do this every morning, but I do not hold myself to the daily number... Just my Sunday numbers!!!

I do this exact thing!!!