Adding Strength Training to Workouts

Options
I've been working out and losing nicely for about 8 months and lost a little over 40 pounds. I've done mostly cardio, I did a little weight lifting, but low weights and high reps when i first started working out. Now i'm about 30 pounds away from my target weight and want to start adding weight lifting to my workouts. I'm currently boxing/kickboxing about 3-4 hours a week, sometimes run at work about a mile or so on lunch, will hike roughly an hour once a week and a moderate bike ride with my mom once on the weekend to try and get her active.

So I plan to keep the cardio in place as much as possible, because it's fun and I really enjoy the boxing a lot. However, I've been thinking about doing the All Pro workouts after my boxing classes. I wanted to see if anyone had any idea or recommendations on combining cardio and strength training. any personal stories. I've read a lot of opinions but figured it wouldn't hurt for some person success and start up info.

One last thing, I don't know if I'll be going for high or heavy weights just yet, since I won't have a guaranteed spotter to help out with the heavier weights and I want to be as consistent with the program as possible.

Replies

• Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I work out with a trainer 2x a week and it's all heavy weights. The majority of my workouts include kettlebells. I also do Zumba 3-4x week. I'm starting to get lean and show some nice muscle definition.

Best of luck!
  • shodaimetruth
    shodaimetruth Posts: 137
    Options
    i had a trainer years ago but she was focused on doing cardio and weight lifting together. it was too much for a beginner like me. If i had the money i would so be trying to get a trainer to help out with getting me to lift more. I've heard good things about kettlebell workouts, but not something i have access to at this time.

Thanks for the luck
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Go heavy.
    Use dumbbells for most lifts, you won't need a spotter.
    You can deadlift without a spotter.
    To start with pick non consecutive days for lifting. 3 would be plenty for starting.
    No intense cardio (>15 minutes) on those days, that way you aren't too tired for meaningful lifting and are less likely to injure yourself.
    If you insist on significant cardio on lifting days, put at least a 3 hour gap and a meal between them. Cardio depletes the body of glycogen. Lifting requires glycogen.
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    What's the all pro workout?
  • shodaimetruth
    shodaimetruth Posts: 137
    Options
    Yeah, i'm aware of watching the glyco levels and trying to keep the body from going catabolic when it comes to weight training. I have been reading up on it before I decided to get started. I know that in the beginning you can get massive gains better then later so I wanted to make sure that I would be doing it more accurately. I'll try and keep my heavy day seperate from cardio and on the other days, minimize the cardio while doing the program. since it seems day 2 and 3 lower the weights in the program.

The all pro workout is a 3 day a week program that works using compound exercises.

here is a link
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
    I think that is the beginner program.