What is good to eat before running?

TKelly06
TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm working on my sort of own version of couch to 5k and I know I should eat something before running/walking, but it seems that when I do eat something my stomach is upset or I get really bad cramps. So, what can I eat before exercising that won't make my stomach upset?

Replies

• JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
  • Aidl9922
    Aidl9922 Posts: 3
    Ms Parker-Pope's article is very informative and worth the read. I noticed that my Raquetball performance drastically improved when I ate an apple on the way to my workout. It gave me the energy I need. In between each game, we take time out to drink water and wipe off the sweat. This gives us good rest and reduces the chances of injury. I haven't reached my goals yet but I'm on the right track.

Bottom line, I highly recommend fruit. It helps me.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    You really have to find something that works for you. After 3 months of trying different things I have found that eating Powerbar Nut Naturals Mixed Nut bars make all the difference. It makes it so I can run at least 3miles without feeling hungry again.

I have also found that wheat toast with hummus works.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    sometimes I eat a banana or wheat toast with 1 tbls or peanut butter.

As far as the cramps, that could be several things. Not breathing properly while running or running to soon after eating. Try to wait 20-30 minutes after you eat something.
  • srtakelch
    srtakelch Posts: 24
    I really never eat anything for at least 30 minutes before running. If I absolutely HAVE TO (like, I'm starving and I know I won't run if I eat a meal and then have to wait an hour or so), then I eat an apple or something that won't taste bad when I'm burping it up the whole time I'm running.

That sounds gross but seriously... I would rather taste a handful of fruit loops or some strawberries than hummus or tuna or something. Maybe you have a stronger stomach than me but all the shaking around makes air come up (and sometimes out the other way too lol)

Also try run walking if your stomach gets upset or you get side cramps. It will usually settle down after the first few times walking.... good luck!!
  • TKelly06
    TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
    Thanks to everyone for your input, its probably because I eat right before I go out.
  • euphoria11
    euphoria11 Posts: 49
    HAHAHAHHA!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Glad I'm not the only one! :blushing:

I really never eat anything for at least 30 minutes before running. If I absolutely HAVE TO (like, I'm starving and I know I won't run if I eat a meal and then have to wait an hour or so), then I eat an apple or something that won't taste bad when I'm burping it up the whole time I'm running.

That sounds gross but seriously... I would rather taste a handful of fruit loops or some strawberries than hummus or tuna or something. Maybe you have a stronger stomach than me but all the shaking around makes air come up (and sometimes out the other way too lol)

Also try run walking if your stomach gets upset or you get side cramps. It will usually settle down after the first few times walking.... good luck!!
  • yogurt! It doesn't upset the stomach.
  • schubele
    schubele Posts: 20
    A piece of wheat toast with a little peanut butter. Everything else sets my stomach on fire.
This discussion has been closed.