SWEATIN to the OLDIES with Richard Simmons

Options
so i have the full box set of the famous SWEATIN TO THE OLDIES WITH RICHARD SIMMONS but my question is i do not find this listed in the exercise database so if i do one of these dvd's or part of one how do i know how many calories i burned???? someone help i'm looking to start doing something once i get this calorie thing down. i'm taking baby steps because i want this to work!!

Replies

• knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a heart rate monitor you're going to have to just guess. I'd probably put it under some form of aerobics or dancing depending on what the workout consisted of.
  • lprince12
    lprince12 Posts: 3
    Options
    I put my Tae Bo under aerobics. When I do the basic I put it under Low Impact or if I do the advanced, I put that under High Impact Aerobics. You just kinda have to guess. You can do it!!
  • faith99436
    faith99436 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i think his would be considered low impact aerobics ya know supposedly anyone can do it :) but was not sure if i'm correct in my thinking :)
  • kspoon5
    kspoon5 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I think I would put it under low impact aerobics and you should be ok. Just be aware - I have a heart rate monitor for accurate counts - I have found that the calories burned estimate given by MFP is high. So if you are going to use your workout calories to eat make sure you only eat back less than 75% of them . It is important to eat ... make sure you eat. I love this site it really helps me understand what a proper portion is and pushes me to eat better. For instance you can have 2 cups of steamed veggies and it is only 60-75 calories but you can have 2 cups of prepared rice and it can be300-400 calories .,... Faith I am really proud of you for putting you and your health first !!
  • summerlancaster
    Options
    I looooovvveeeee Richards Simmons! :-) I just use low impact aerobics, but I don't eat back my exercise calories. I eat a set amount every day & just stick with it.
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Until I had my HRM, I logged my Richard Simmons workouts as aerobics general. I've found that that was underestimating a little bit on my burn, which I didn't find to be a bad thing either. Now I have a more accurate account for my calories burned since I bought my HRM.
  • pxpwop
    pxpwop Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    He's still alive??
  • iFeelBrandNew
    iFeelBrandNew Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    He's still alive??

LOL!! hes still around i believe, but that particular series was made a looong time ago. i remember doing it with my mother when i was around 12 or so, im now 27... ;)
  • iFeelBrandNew
    iFeelBrandNew Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    He's still alive??

LOL!! hes still around i believe, but that particular series was made a looong time ago. i remember doing it with my mother when i was around 12 or so, im now 27... ;)

might i add, on vhs of course. saw the DVD in walmart the other day and A L M O S T bought it... think i might go back and get it. i remember it being a lot of fun. :)
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I love Sweatin to the Oldies! Definitely get a hrm because the amount you will burn will vary greatly depending on how much you weigh and how much effort you put into it.

When I first started Sweatin I would burn over 800 calories per workout but I was a lot heavier and out of shape then. Now, I will be lucky to burn 500 and I have to put in full effort/exaggerate some of the moves.

I love Richard so much and the routines really do work. You will see a lot of his moves incorporated in almost every modern workout now. I'm thinking about doing a blog showing his moves used in everything.

He really was an innovator in home fitness and pretty much started the dancing to lose weight craze that is now Zumba, Brazilian Butt LIft, etc. I even saw some of his moves in P90X!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Log it as "areobics, general."
  • faith99436
    Options
    thanks for all the advice!!!
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    i think his would be considered low impact aerobics ya know supposedly anyone can do it :) but was not sure if i'm correct in my thinking :)
    I agree with your thinking...aerobics, low impact is probably dead on.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    He's still alive??

OMG...I remember my mom doing it when I was 6 or 7 and I'm 38! lol:laugh: I think he's been around a loooooooong time!
  • faith99436
    Options
    watching the end of the videos is really inspiring to see how much weight each individual has lost also one guy i think on sweatin 2 lost 700 lbs but i could be wrong it has been a while since i watched or did the workout
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I too have the complete set of "Sweatin to the Oldies" all on DvD (bought a year ago. Love his work outs, they reach all parts of your body. I am new here too and was wondering what to list my work out with Richard as. Thanks for all the info.
  • Ayne6246
    Ayne6246 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I got a heart rate monitor/calorie counter yesterday so I could accurately measure my calories doing this program. I started uing it today & I burned 399 calories the first time doing the whole routine and the second time I burned 500 calories. Using a heart rate monitor is, I'm told, the most accurate way to measure calories burned and I had been listing the Sweatin to the Oldies 2 as general aerobics with MFP which was underestimating the calories burned. I am 66 years old and have arthritic knees so I am somewhat limited in the amount of impact I can tolerate so if you are doing a more vigorous intensity on the Richard Simmons, you will probably be burning more calories than I do. I hope this helps.....I would HIGHLY recommend investing in a heart rate monitor. You can find them for as cheap as $30 at WalMart. I got a Sportline brand which was about $28.
  • Blue_dolphin75
    Options
    I did Sweatin To The Oldies 2 when I was thinner, which was about 18 years ago! I thought I was heavy then, and thought I needed it. But what I didn't realize was that I was thin and beautiful. Now that I have packed on well over 100 additional pounds, I was looking to start up his video again. I finally got it on DVD, and then moved, and couldn't find it. But luckily and happily, I found it again! So I'm going to add that to my workout as well, and I was also trying to find out how to add it in the database. Thanks everyone for trying to help with others, as you have all helped me too! I don't have many friends on here, so please anyone who would like to, please add me. Thanks! I can use all the support I can get. :glasses: :flowerforyou: :happy: :laugh: :smile: ~ Gina
  • djenkins0813
    Options
    I log this under aerobics general and I have also found that this underestimates the amount of calories burned based on the HRM. But, I just got a new Richard Simmons in the mail it is called Party off the Pounds Richard Simmons Super Sweatin. This one is about 50 minutes long and their are zero pauses in the dance routine where the old one stopped briefly between songs.... I feel like I got a much better workout today!
  • bluesparrow89
    Options
    Yeah faith I had the same question. Guess I'm going to have to get a heart rate monitor :)