What do you think?

Options
SO, I've spent the last 16 months eating whatever I wanted, fast food galore, ordering out.... whatever. I was pregnant most of that time, then the following 6 months post baby, still kinda following the same "menu". We used to eat out (whether morning, lunch or dinner)7-10 meals a week (sometimes even more) fast food. On the way to an appt, stop by Mcd's. Order pizza or 3 a week lol . Oh, whats for lunch? Hot wings... Burger King? Dinner? Lets get popeyes. lol ... I mean.. it got kinda bad there for a while.

For the last 2 months... I made a life style change. I was tired of crap, and tired of being fat. We cut out ALL fast food. I have't had an amazing sausage egg mcmuffin in what feels like eternity. I don't drink soda, and my meals are mostly veggies or fruits, eggs (for protein) I switched out ribeyes for sirloins, butter for I can't believe its not butter, no icecream, no coffee frappacinos, my omelettes went from extra cheese, sausage to spinach and tomatoes... I mean, I could go on and on!

I guess I am kinda wondering why I haven't lost MORE weight ? I thought by cutting out junk I would drop 15 straight of the bat! I am HAPPY with the fact that I've lost 11 lbs, and truth be told, I will be here as long as it takes, thru the plateaus ... bad days and good...whatever..because I have in my mind what I wanna look like, and I have the strength to stay until (and after) that happens! But I have to admit, I am a little thrown by the fact that I changed EVERYTHING, and live so much healthier now, and didn't drop a nice chunk of weight right away, based on that alone! ???

Any insight or thoughts or answers would be great! Or you can just talk... to talk! lol

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    took you 16 mos to put it on......Can't expect to take it all off in 2. Stay the course and you will eventually reach your goals.
  • grayyoung84
    grayyoung84 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Its the 6 shots of Smirnoff! ;)
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    took you 16 mos to put it on......Can't expect to take it all off in 2. Stay the course and you will eventually reach your goals.

I fully agree with you. I promise I'm not expecting it to come off that fast lol... I've just had friends who cut out fast food alone, or quit drinking soda, and lost 10 lbs immediately. I guess I was just expecting more? I have 60 to lose, so 10 lbs isn't a make or break, but I think I really did expect a big weightloss right off the bat, just from switching to a healthier lifestyle.

I know... kinda stupid! Thanks ... you are totally right! lol
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    Its the 6 shots of Smirnoff! ;)

LOL, I have been wondering... alcohols making me fat! but in all honesty... its a couple times a week. I've read numerous articles on alcohol not having a ton of caloric effect ( its usually the mixers, which I don't use) and the fact that you burn the alcohol 1st, instead of fat. And I always save some of my cals to cover it.

Do you really think it makes THAT much of a difference??? If I do have the cals to use? AND, concidering the calories I was eating, vs the alcohol cals being not even a 1/4 of what I used to eat?
  • grayyoung84
    grayyoung84 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What type of exercises are you doing and how frequent?
  • i_miss_donuts
    i_miss_donuts Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Frustrating, right? I agree though with the above poster that the vodka might be slowing your progress - but I understand because I love my adult beverages too! Keep making healthy choices and exercising & you will get there eventually!
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    What type of exercises are you doing and how frequent?

Well, at 1st, it was just cutting all the junk and doing exercise videos 3 times a week. Now, I am on p90x, I am on week 2.
    Im eating clean (as possible) and exercising 6 days a week 1 hour.
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    Frustrating, right? I agree though with the above poster that the vodka might be slowing your progress - but I understand because I love my adult beverages too! Keep making healthy choices and exercising & you will get there eventually!

I agree... I am worried my 3 time a week habit ( alcohol) is hindering me. Which sucks. lol I feel like I gave up a weekly intake of 7000 cals PLUS! from junk food, plus whatever I (minimally at the time) exercised, and somehow even all the changes I made doesn't even make up for me getting a buzz sometimes! lol
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    Bump :)
  • demelza123
    demelza123 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yes you will need to stay patient - loosing after a baby takes time ( I know - did that twice). Increase your water intake if possible and how much sleep are you getting? Both of those factors will assist (or not) with your progress.
    I am very proud that you went from that awful processed diet to cleaning eating. Regardless of your weight - your body will be so much energized, healthier and thankful for your wise nutritional choices.

Don't be hard on yourself. Your mental positive outlook is also a very important part of the journey.

Stay on track. You are doing it!! :-)
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options

I agree... I am worried my 3 time a week habit ( alcohol) is hindering me. Which sucks. lol I feel like I gave up a weekly intake of 7000 cals PLUS! from junk food, plus whatever I (minimally at the time) exercised, and somehow even all the changes I made doesn't even make up for me getting a buzz sometimes! lol
    I went through the same change as you did when I started. I lost about 7 lbs so 11 is really good. But it was really when I cut alcohol that it jump started me. And after a night out (even though last time I stuck to clear bacardi on only had 2) it really does hold me back. So I asked myself "why would you give up all the unhealthy things like junk food, but not give up the most unhealthy thing you do." and it was then that I realized that if I was really going to do this, it would have to be a lifestyle change. It doesn't mean I can't have a drink, but it does mean that I choose not to. Haven't touched the stuff in a while, and in that time I went from maybe seeing 7 lbs every 60 days or so (which is still great) to around double that. If you want to drink then by all means do it, but remember that it will slow you do don't get discouraged :) its a different journey for everyone! Some of use here like to eat out every now and again, we understand it may also slow us, but you will get there regardless of the pace if you stick to it!!! Good luck!!!!
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    can you try to give up the alcohol for say, 2 weeks? See what the difference in weight loss is for you and if it's enough to continue without the alcohol or if it's minimal and then you can go back.

My husband is losing and he has maybe 3 beers a week. He saves his cals for it also. Maybe he'd lose faster without the beer, but I don't think there is anything wrong with a nice cold beer after work.

Remember slow and steady wins the race!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    don't complain. I had a similar diet and it has taken me 4+ months to get rid of 18 pounds. slow going...
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, even a big lifestyle change won't magically make more pounds fall off. The big chunk of weight people sometimes lose when they start is almost always water weight. The calorie deficit is the only thing that will really make you lose weight, and slow and steady is good anyway. :D
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I think most people who just stop eating junk food aren't counting calories, so end up eating less than they maybe should. I used to give up cheese and chocolate, and because they are my favourite things, nothing replaced them and i lost weight. Replacing junk food for nothing makes for huge calorie deficits which calorie counting helps you to avoid.
  • Mommagoose4
    Mommagoose4 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Remember it's not always WHAT you eat - it's how much you eat. I know your diary is pretty clean. I would measure!!!! Measure your body b'c it could be muscle you are building. I have found that the weeks the scale doesn't move I loose major inches.