I can't breathe when I run :(

Options

Replies

• chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    If it's not a medical issue, then as others have said: slow down and breathe through both your nose and mouth to get as much air as possible.

Try to get into a rhythm. When you're starting out in running, often at the beginning of a run you'll feel crappy and out of breath, but push through it and find a nice pace and rhythm that you can maintain. For some people music helps with their rhythm. While music helps the time pass, there is some merit to being able to hear your own breathing as well. Perhaps try both with and without music and see how you feel each way.

Also take shorter strides with faster turnover rather than long bounding strides. Those big strides sap your energy by wasting it on vertical movement and the braking action caused by heel striking and having your feet in contact with the ground for too long. It is generally agreed upon that 180 foot strikes per minute is optimal.

With time and miles, you'll improve and feel more comfortable and be able to go farther and faster. Good luck and have fun!
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    You more than likely have either full blown asthma or exercise induced asthma. Also, as many others have mentioned, you may be going too fast too soon. How do I know? I have asthma...not just exercise induced but full time Bronchial asthma along with year round allergies. I started running 2 years ago and I would push way too hard and want to throw up because I couldn't breathe. So I took advice from a friend that was a seasoned runner and stopped running hard and fast and instead just ran. I started off with 12 minute miles and couldn't handle a sprint to save my life. Fast forward two years and I am now running 8:41 average pace for a HALF marathon, 23 minute 5Ks, incorporating speedwork in my weekly training, and will be running my first full marathon come Memorial Day Weekend. I only need my inhaler from Late April to Late September thanks to allergies and humidity mostly, but even then I can maintain a good pace and only require a puff before I go, no matter how long the run. It's all because I took my time with it and allowed my body the chance to improve and adjust accordingly. I used to hear that because I had asthma I would never run faster than an 11 minute mile for anything...Surely proved them wrong! So, take your time, focus on building on your length of time running over speed or even miles. Allow yourself time to adjust and grow as a runner and you will get there!
  • nmullins81
    nmullins81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    In thru the mouth out thru the nose. Force yourself to inhale longer, hold for a second and then breathe out. I spent the first 3 weeks of my running program working on my breathing.
  • hennyben
    hennyben Posts: 317
    Options
    Its been said already but slow down! Also make sure your breaths are deep - no shallow breathing, you need to fill your lungs (this also helps you from tiring too quickly)
  • IndyInk
    IndyInk Posts: 212
    Options
    My lungs are covered in scar tissue from lung disease very early in life, plus I'm asthmatic, so this is a familiar problem. I've worked out for two years now (spin, Zumba, circuit, weights, walking, and jogging). I can lift for 45 minutes but have never been able to finish even a beginner's kickboxing class. My muscles can take far more exercise than my lungs will allow.

Very frustrating.

If you're sure you're breathing correctly, it's probably time to see a doctor to rule out anything medical... assuming you have medical insurance.
  • IndyInk
    IndyInk Posts: 212
    Options
    Try slowing down. Endurance first, speed later. Running is a little different than other exercises - higher impact - so your body will react differently. Slow your pace and see if that helps. Good luck!

I'm going to have to try this. :)
  • JBHawaii
    JBHawaii Posts: 94
    Options
    I would see a physician... It could be something cardiogenic OR as simple as exercise induced asthma... if you are exercising a lot and still having trouble breathing you might just want to play it safe. Good luck!
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I am the exact same way. Even in high school when I ran cross country, I always felt like my lungs were going to explode, almost like an asthma attack or something. I have tried to start running now, and the same thing happens, I can barely make it 2 blocks and I'm gasping for air like I'm dying. I think I may have to give up my quest for jogging. I can jog in place for 10-15 minutes and do just fine, but can't even jog a block. I just got back from attempting it again, and the pain I feel even now is intense.
  • IckleJP
    IckleJP Posts: 3
    Options
    Good morning. First question...What do you mean by "I can't breath"? There is a difference between "I'm pushing hard and having trouble controlling my breathing" and "I'm gasping, my heart is coming out of my chest and I'm going to pass out." If you have any of the following symptoms, you need to see a doctor...your heart skips a beat or "feels weird and week," your vision fades out or goes black, you feel dizzy or like you're going to pass out, you have chest/jaw/arm pain.

Assuming none of those are present and you're just having trouble controlling your breathing, this can be helped by some training and "tricks." I am, by no means, a "runner." Yet, I have to run a 1.5 mile every year for the military and I have recently gotten much better at it. For 10 years, every time I ran this test, I got severe cramps around lap 2 of 6, gasped for breath the entire time and wanted to throw up. Last year, a physical therapist watched me run and said I was staying too tense. She had me try several tricks and they really helped my breathing. First, try to breath out twice as long as you breath in each breath. Second, keep your arms below the level of your heart and wiggle your arms and shoulders to keep loose. Third, (this may have been specially tailored to me since I have great breath control when I sing, but none when I run), whenever I feel tense or lose control of my breathing, I sing a few bars out loud and it kind of resets my diaphragm and calms it down. With these tricks, I breath deeper, run further without feeling like throwing up and have NO MORE CRAMPS!!!

The other trick that helped me was from my doctor. I trained and trained and trained and couldn't get faster. I could run the mile and half without stopping, but it really was a challenge and I was stuck at 16 minutes (only 16 seconds longer and I fail my PT test). He had me stop running the distances and do sprints. DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU HAVE ANY OF THE SYMPTOMS FROM THE FIRST PARAGRAPH!!! Anyway, I would run as hard and as long as I could (30-90 seconds) at 95% of my effort until I couldn't go any futher. I would then walk until I felt human again and repeat 4-9 times depending on how I felt that day). After doing this 3 times a week for 3-4 weeks, I took over a minute off my time and it was so much easier on me! It was almost like my body said "well, at least she's not running like a crazy woman like in those sprints" and it took 4-5 laps for me to feel really worn. Maybe these tricks will help. Let me know if you have any questions about what I've said. I'm no expert, this is just what helped me. I am an ER PA, though, so take the warning symptoms I mentioned seriously, please. Good luck!
  • LesIsMoreXX
    LesIsMoreXX Posts: 169
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I will definitely try to give all of the suggestions a go. Especially about getting checked out for exercise-induced asthma. I have never heard of this but it sounds like it's a strong possibility! I have all the symptoms :0
    Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
  • aniwani
    aniwani Posts: 110
    Options
    You mam need to see the doc ... This sounds like exercise induced asthma ... It can be life threatening if you are not carrying an emergency inhaler please talk to your doc!!!

I am the exact same way. Even in high school when I ran cross country, I always felt like my lungs were going to explode, almost like an asthma attack or something. I have tried to start running now, and the same thing happens, I can barely make it 2 blocks and I'm gasping for air like I'm dying. I think I may have to give up my quest for jogging. I can jog in place for 10-15 minutes and do just fine, but can't even jog a block. I just got back from attempting it again, and the pain I feel even now is intense.
  • aniwani
    Options
    It is extremely common but can be very serious deff go talk to you doc asap about an inhaler You will be amazed at the difference in how your lungs feel! I would almost bet that's what you have
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I will definitely try to give all of the suggestions a go. Especially about getting checked out for exercise-induced asthma. I have never heard of this but it sounds like it's a strong possibility! I have all the symptoms :0
    Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Everyone is telling you to focus on your breathing, and see a doctor. 1 poster did talk a bit about posture (bringing your arms down) but this is really important.

I am no longer a runner but after hearing I ran a marathon I had a lot of friends wanting to "train" with me to keep them motivated. I stopped because of medical issues. The first thing I noticed in ALL of my friends that were female (and not runners already) was a closed posture and looking down. Look up, (wear sunglasses and a hat with a bill if the sun is the problem). Relax your shoulders bring your arms down open your fists relax your hands. Let your thumb knuckles brush your hip bones when they swing. If you have to keep your arms tucked up under your boobs like a tyrannosaurus rex when you run, you need a better sports bra, and you look silly. By looking up and relaxing your shoulders you will open up your respiratory system and you will be able to get more air. Now try the breathing techniques everyone suggested. By relaxing your arms and shoulders you won't wear yourself out contracting more muscles than you need to. And by bringing your arms below your heart it won't have to work so hard to pump blood to them.

Once I learned to keep my head up, shoulders down and upper body relaxed, it was just a matter of building endurance to finish the marathon. I did it, took me 5 hours, but I did it.

Oh and if you go to a doctor, may I suggest a sports doctor? I went to 3 doctors after the marathon because of knee pain. They all looked at me like I was nuts for running 26.2 miles and then complaining that my knee hurt. 6 months on they were still telling me "oh it takes time for your body to heal after an exertion like that" I told another doctor I wanted to do another one and he said "why?"
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    wow all these diagnosis from a great medical community.

What diagnosis?

Ahhhh you mean the suggestions from people..... yes, this is what the OP asked for, suggestions.
  • aniwani
    Options
    Agreed I don't think telling someone to go see a doc is a diagnosis...

What diagnosis?

Ahhhh you mean the suggestions from people..... yes, this is what the OP asked for, suggestions.
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I had this problem too when I started running. I take deep breaths and breathe through my nose. Slowing down works too. :-)
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i am the same, doesn't matter if i put the treadmill on number 7 or number 11, my breathing is just crazy. i can't seem to control it, it doesn't seem even, it's like it's so un-nautral, the pace is wrong, it's too fast.... hate it. i'm pretty fit, and can go at it for a long time on anything, no problems with an RPM class at full throttle, but running, it's just no good for me.
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It takes time to build endurance. I had undiagnosed "twitchy" lungs which would constrict as I was running! I got an inhaler that I only use when I exercise and it's helped immensly. Just keep at it, slow down a little, and try to develop a breathing pattern. No matter what-don't give up!!! I'm just starting to run again after taking 2 years off from a foot injury, and I'm finding the same thing-it's hard not to get frustrated, but I walk when I find myself out of breath. It'll come-I used to run 3 miles a day. Good luck.
  • vanderandkarl
    Options
    not sure if anyone else has mentioned this and sorry if they have but have you been checked for asthma?
    maybe worth getting checked out x

good luck
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

What diagnosis?

People say it could be her heart, or many other physical problems. Maybe she's just running to fast. I used to make that mistake and i classified myself as "non runner." I couldn't run. Funny how i slowed down and now want to do an ultra marathon some day.

I go with the running too fast one too (apart from asthma), I'm with you on this, once a person slows down the whole running lark becomes much more manageable and the person finds it much easier to discover their own pace.