Funny about swimming in the ocean

Options
neverstray
neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
I was talking at work about triathlons and all, and this one dude says that he needs friends to train. I said, I hate waiting on people, so I tend to just train alone. He said, yeah but you can't swim in the ocean alone. I said, why not. He said because its dangerous. Two others immdiately agreed and one of the others said, yeah you don't ever go in the ocean alone. I started laughing, and thought it was like a Saturday Night Live skit or something. I explained that I could swim before I could walk, and I've grown up in and around the ocean. I go swimming and surfing and boating in the ocean alone all the time. And, in 47 years, I never heard of that before. Lol. So, am I crazy? I dunno. They were all so serious and matter of fact.

So, would you go swim in the ocean alone?

It seems so silly to me, but if you feel like they do I respect that. The ocean and I are friends, not foes. And, if she decides she wants me, there's not much I can do about it. I'm very spiritual about the ocean.

Replies

• Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not, you should never go swimming in the ocean alone. I live in Australia and it's common sense over here to NEVER go to the ocean alone, especially due to the high risk of drowning incidents where foreigners think they are in control of the ocean. It's all well and good to be strong and athletic, but even they are at risk of drowning if leg cramping sets in.

Swimming alone is what a pool is for, not the ocean. It's just not safe to swim alone in the ocean.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I've done it while training for triathlons during a 10-day cruise. I just stayed in lagoons.

During lake swims I would drag a boogie board behind me on 6ft of yellow floating rope... as my emergency plan.
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It's not because you can do it that it's the safest. I was a beach lifeguard and yes, due to what I have seen, I would suggest against it...even in a lake (I still cross the lake at our cottage every Summer and someone follows me in a boat just to be sure or I drag my old torpedo). I'm the girl that jumped out of an airplane, rock climbed, did some white water kayaking....yet I chose to not swim alone.

It's my opinion....people can feel free to have another.
  • neverstray
    Options
    Weird that I've grown up living right at the pacific ocean and never heard of that. And, I've been in some big *kitten* waves and winter storm situations, but never felt out of control or like I couldn't deal. Most of the time, i have a surfboard under me. I'm sure that's a little different. Hmmmm. Learn something new all the time. I don't think it will change anything for me.

My son turns 10 this summer and just made the Jr Life Guards. It will be interesting if they talk about that at all.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I swim in the ocean alone. I wouldn't try to swim across it, or anything, though. I'm way too lazy for that.
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I was swimming in the Gulf of Mexico when I was 5, and I lived on the west coast of Florida for 3 years and swimming in the ocean is something I've always done. I've never considered dangerous, even if I was doing it alone.

Now, if we're talking about at night all bets are off.
  • taylmarie
    taylmarie Posts: 161
    Options
    I wouldn't! I am terrified of big waves lol! You and my husband have a very similar view of the ocean though, he feels very at home in the ocean, even with huge waves. He wants to be buried at sea.

I would actually love to take adult ocean swimming lessons...if something like that exists! I love the ocean and enjoy playing in small waves but I get freaked about big ones (prob not big to most people). I know about duck diving and facing the wave and all that but I just get spooked.

Here in CA, I don't think it is possible to go alone? Too many people at the beach.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    no i wouldn't

even in my pool i wouldn't swim without at least someone home & glancing out the window every once in a while to make sure i'm alright

you just never know if you will get a cramp, get dizzy, lose your energy, in the ocean you have an undertow, waves, etc
    it's just safer to have a buddy
  • taylmarie
    taylmarie Posts: 161
    Options
    Just typing that ^^^ made my heart rate go up. I WISH I could be a confident ocean swimmer :(
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    i say, you can do anything alone, provided that someone knows where you are and knows what time to expect you back.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    <
    Is a fish ! I do it all the time ! I, like you ... see the Ocean as serenity and with respect, it has earned my trust. I love nature and if you allow fear to dictate your life ... well then, that's a life not really lived !

:flowerforyou:
  • neverstray
    Options

Here in CA, I don't think it is possible to go alone? Too many people at the beach.

That could be part of it for me. Although, I've been to pretty remote places where there are no people around and just go out. In unknown waters, I will study up on the area and ask local about the topography and the sea life and any dangers, currents and thing like that that I need to know about. That is pretty important to know. But, if all seems ok, I jump in and enjoy.
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Weird that I've grown up living right at the pacific ocean and never heard of that. And, I've been in some big *kitten* waves and winter storm situations, but never felt out of control or like I couldn't deal. Most of the time, i have a surfboard under me. I'm sure that's a little different. Hmmmm. Learn something new all the time. I don't think it will change anything for me.

My son turns 10 this summer and just made the Jr Life Guards. It will be interesting if they talk about that at all.

That's great about your son!!
    I'm sure it varies per Country and even region, but I also taught swimming (Red Cross) and the RLSS courses (to become a lifeguard...at least in Canada). The "always swim with a buddy" would start at level "red" back then which was also the time they would learn crawl (7-8years old on average)... wow I just realized how long its been...I feel old.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I was a lifeguard for several years, in any swimming environment, pool, Ocean, lake and rivers you should always have a "buddy" as with anything their is always a danger.

Riptides, undertoes, usually are the most dangerous parts of the ocean, and if youa re ever caught in one, Float...usually gets you out of a jam and not panicing.

Water is very unforgiven, I would say teh most dangerous is a River, getting your foot stuck in a foot of water could kill you in a river, the current will be strong enough to sweep you under and drown you, I know of a college football player who dies in 2 foot water, due to his foot getting stuck in some rocks, golden rule in a river when tubing, keep your feet up.

But as with any body of water, show it respect and you will be fine, I am a fish, I love the ocean grew up swimming the Jersey shore which is famous for it's riptides, I hadto save my wfe and my niece from them, i've seen people drown trying to fight them, you can't win fighting it.

Rule is, alaways hae a "buddy" and be smart about it, but if your like me and find the water at home and somewhat spiritual, it wouldn't be so bad as my final resting place.
  • MellowGa
    Options
    I was a lifeguard for several years, in any swimming environment, pool, Ocean, lake and rivers you should always have a "buddy" as with anything their is always a danger.

Riptides, undertoes, usually are the most dangerous parts of the ocean, and if youa re ever caught in one, Float...usually gets you out of a jam and not panicing.

Water is very unforgiven, I would say teh most dangerous is a River, getting your foot stuck in a foot of water could kill you in a river, the current will be strong enough to sweep you under and drown you, I know of a college football player who dies in 2 foot water, due to his foot getting stuck in some rocks, golden rule in a river when tubing, keep your feet up.

But as with any body of water, show it respect and you will be fine, I am a fish, I love the ocean grew up swimming the Jersey shore which is famous for it's riptides, I hadto save my wfe and my niece from them, i've seen people drown trying to fight them, you can't win fighting it.

Rule is, alaways hae a "buddy" and be smart about it, but if your like me and find the water at home and somewhat spiritual, it wouldn't be so bad as my final resting place.
  • neverstray
    Options

We used to do dangerous stuff in the river. One of our friends drown because he was held down by the current with his feet twisted in the rope. We went out and tried to recreate it, and all of us were able to lift our torso up enough to untangle our feet, so we couldn't figure out what really happened under there. Sad.
  • Niagarasailor
    Niagarasailor Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    This is one of those things where it feels fine... until it isn't.

I grew up on the Great Lakes, swimming at age 4, literally sailing before I could walk (my parents put me between sailbags in the hold as a baby while they raced). I thought I could handle anything and avoided wearing a life jacket when sailing. Then I went out in a sunfish with my dad and made a mistake and we capsized in moderately breezy weather. I was wearing a pair of my boyfriend's heavy pants and the mast of the sunfish shot out past me into the water as I was underwater. Trying to avoid it while fighting the weight of my clothes and trying to get to the surface clear of any lines scared the bejeezus out of me. We were less than a mile from shore but it was a scary experience and now I always respect the water when sailing or swimming because you never know what will happen.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Not in Australia! I've seen the signs and that place is scary! Otherwise, I dunno, the issue never occurred to me. I suppose that means I would by default, lol.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I grew up in and around the water. The one thing that stuck with me is, "if it's you against the water the water will win." Scary.

Even if you have a buddy near by during a cramp would they be able to get to you on time? Or know how to rescue swim.

I agree swimming in any body of water is dangerous. Even with a buddy. I love swimming, I just try to be very conscious of my safety. And my above water status!
  • MellowGa
    Options
    My most dangerous adventure is White whater rafting, I rafted the Gualey River in WV which is the #2 river in the US, Great class V rapids, I was tossed from my raft, and caught in a "hole" which will spin you around and "toss you out" when it feels like it. The only thing you can do is grab your breathe when you can and wait it out until it happens, now as I said I am an experienced lifeguard, and I had my lifevest on I understand the main cause of "drowning" is people Panicing, which is what probably happened to your friend, their is a distinction to being "prepared" for somethign then being completely caught off guard and suddenly thrusted into a life or death situation, not something you can replicate or think you can. You can train for it and be a professional, but you always have the chance of death, no matter how many precautions you take.

Bottom line with water is you must repect it, without respect it can kill you.