What's wrong with losing lean muscle?

Options
12346»

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I can eat like a pig. I'm only 21 so can still get away with it. I'm sorry if you think this thread is pro-ana or thinspo. I hate that culture and really feel sorry for the young girls who get caught up in it.

Jealous :grumble:
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    nothing is wrong with it if that's what you intentionally want to do.

it's your body.. i'm assuming you're an adult. what difference does it make to you whether or not others agree with your opinions and how you want your body to look?

just BAD, BAD, BAD advice, seriously these passive answers are worse than the questions themselves

So it's not her choice?

so this brings me back to the people who should NOT man suicide hotlines, Caller:"I'm going to kill myself" You guys:"Well it's your choice, you're an adult" <----extreme, but same concept
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    nothing is wrong with it if that's what you intentionally want to do.

it's your body.. i'm assuming you're an adult. what difference does it make to you whether or not others agree with your opinions and how you want your body to look?

just BAD, BAD, BAD advice, seriously these passive answers are worse than the questions themselves

So it's not her choice?

so this brings me back to the people who should NOT man suicide hotlines, Caller:"I'm going to kill myself" You guys:"Well it's your choice, you're an adult" <----extreme, but same concept

So if I'd prefer the waif look over the fitness model look, I'm the equivalent of suicidal?
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I wasn't confused by your response. Your response had absolutely nothing to do with the point of my post. I chose 25% as an arbitrary number to make a point. I could have picked 22% or 19% or even 30% and made the same point, which is to quit criticizing people who don't look the way you think they should or the way YOU want to look. We all have our own goals and ideals.

Personally, I wouldn't want to look like either of the women whose photos were posted in here as examples, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with someone who does and I would NEVER call either of them ugly or disgusting.

Ya me too & I agree that calling them ugly or disgusting is outright offensive. Also calling them skinny is quite offensive as well, just like calling an overweight person 'fat'. Personally I also don't aspire to have the body like those two photos that were posted. My goal is to have a Halle Berry, Jillian Michaels or Jessica Biel body or this woman below.

Skinnyfit.jpg
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    lol. I'm done. . . the gist of what I was saying is that giving answers that are simply passive do nothing to help the person in whatever they choose.

for the OP, strength training will help maintain lean muscle mass, it will not bulk you up like a man. it is good for overall health. you do not have enough of the male hormones to do that. to look that cut requires much focus and an insane amount of calories and protein
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    muscles are gross
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I wasn't confused by your response. Your response had absolutely nothing to do with the point of my post. I chose 25% as an arbitrary number to make a point. I could have picked 22% or 19% or even 30% and made the same point, which is to quit criticizing people who don't look the way you think they should or the way YOU want to look. We all have our own goals and ideals.

Personally, I wouldn't want to look like either of the women whose photos were posted in here as examples, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with someone who does and I would NEVER call either of them ugly or disgusting.

Ya me too & I agree that calling them ugly or disgusting is outright offensive. Personally my goal is to have a Halle Berry, Jillian Michaels or Jessica Biel body or this woman below.

Skinnyfit.jpg

And, to me (FOR ME, I should say), that's too much muscle definition in the tummy. I don't think it looks bad, but it isn't what I want. I want a flat tummy that doesn't jiggle, but I still want that soft look. I like the woman in my profile photo, though I don't think my waste will ever be quite that tiny. But maybe ...
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    BTW I was kidding. As far as some people not wanting to have that muscular look that's fine I get it. I rather have muscles and try to attain that look but that's my personal choice. Health wise having more muscles is beneficial but you can be healthy without them as well. BTW I think Snejana looks amazing as well but whoknows she could feel like crap because she many not be eating well enough. She could be who knows,.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    see ^^ that 'musclyness' is exactly what I want to avoid. I think Snejana looks amazing, so ethereal.

That girl isn't even that muscly... She looks in shape and normal.

If you want to look like that really thin girl, then more power to you.. but personally, I find that look to be disgusting... Why would you want to look like a skinny teenager instead of the woman you are?

say that look is disgusting is just as rude as saying that muscular woman look manly
  • FrostyBev
    FrostyBev Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm naturally tall and lanky and have always had an underweight bmi, never had an ED. I wish my legs were slightly less muscly though. I don't think because you're skinny it makes you any less of a woman. Plus clothes tend to look better on a 'hanger' body, and I love fashion so I prefer to be skinny then bulky.

I'm going to use a quote I see often on MFP to express my opinion... "Skinny makes you look good with clothes on, Fit makes you look good Naked."

I'm definitely a fan of the fit over the skinny. Just my opinion. :)
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I can eat like a pig. I'm only 21 so can still get away with it. I'm sorry if you think this thread is pro-ana or thinspo. I hate that culture and really feel sorry for the young girls who get caught up in it.

OK, my suggestion is that you should start exercising and working on eating the healthiest foods you can MOST OF THE TIME. Not because you need to lose weight and I'm with the others that I doubt your legs are very large (muscle or no) at your height and weight. I don't know how that's possible. But I will say that at your age, I was able to eat what I wanted and not exercise and be quite thin. And then a few years later, that was no longer the case and I had to totally relearn how to eat and start exercising more regularly.

That may or may not happen to you, but you can head it off now.

I'll take your word that you're not anorexic, especially at your young age. I have a good friend since high school who was 5'9" and 99 pounds and she WANTED to weigh more. She overate and lifted weights just to try and put on weight and she couldn't. She was also healthy. (According to the people in this thread, she was "ugly" and "disgusting.") So if you say you're eating and not ana, I'm not going to question it.

But I will say that muscle is a good thing to have. You need it for far more important reasons than how you look.

Very Very good. And it will be great for her to learn how to eat and exercise properly now than to eat whatever she wants, then hit 30 or have a kids...and BOOM..things change and she is like what the crap??? I used to be able to eat whatever I want.

And at 5'10" and 109, if she she lifted heavy, it is going to be nearly impossible for her legs to look too muscular. I have two brothers...one is 5'10" and ht other is 6'4"...guess who shows muscle mass faster??? the shorter one. He can look like a brick house super fast where the taller brother looks lean and cut. I am 5'4.5" and I can show leg muscles super fast...at 5"10...it will take her longer..so she might as well enjoy fitness and not worry about getting "bulky".
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    see ^^ that 'musclyness' is exactly what I want to avoid. I think Snejana looks amazing, so ethereal.

If you want to look like that really thin girl, then more power to you.. but personally, I find that look to be disgusting... Why would you want to look like a skinny teenager instead of the woman you are?

say that look is disgusting is just as rude as saying that muscular woman look manly

And clearly I'm not allowed to have an opinion.. I get that. Can we please move on?

For the record, I never called OP disgusting. I said that the picture of the model was disgusting. There is a difference... and I'm tired of defending myself.

I have my opinion, you have yours.. now lets agree to disagree.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    And clearly I'm not allowed to have an opinion.. I get that. Can we please move on?

For the record, I never called OP disgusting. I said that the picture of the model was disgusting. There is a difference... and I'm tired of defending myself.

I have my opinion, you have yours.. now lets agree to disagree.

It's ok though, because that model isn't a real person
  • IndyInk
    IndyInk Posts: 212
    Options
    Because 5'10", 109 is a little on the "light" side??? SMH....

I'm between 5'9 and 5'10. Underweight for my personal weight/height/age is 129 lbs. At my current weight 147 lbs, I'm a US size 6.

I'm not a doctor, but a female who is 5'10 and 109 lbs probably shouldn't attempt to lose anything. OP: if you really want the right answer to your question about the personal implications of losing lean muscle mass, see a doctor. S/he can help you gain or maintain in a way that isn't harmful to your body.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I know I'm probably going to get a thrashing for asking this (from what I've read you lot can get a bit hot tempered) but can somebody explain to me the scientific complications of losing lean muscle mass?

This is my personal opinion and I know many men and women will disagree but i would rather look like an Abbey Lee Kershaw then a Kate Upton or Cameron Diaz. I am not very sporty or athletic and don't really use muscle anyway. So what damage will losing muscle do to my body?

You probably couldn't become that "muscly" if you tried so lift hard and don't worry about it.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

Ya me too & I agree that calling them ugly or disgusting is outright offensive. Personally my goal is to have a Halle Berry, Jillian Michaels or Jessica Biel body or this woman below.

Skinnyfit.jpg

And, to me (FOR ME, I should say), that's too much muscle definition in the tummy. I don't think it looks bad, but it isn't what I want. I want a flat tummy that doesn't jiggle, but I still want that soft look. I like the woman in my profile photo, though I don't think my waste will ever be quite that tiny. But maybe ...

I agree with you on this one. I also don't think there is a chance in hades I could get that stomach if I tried.

As for the OP, I hope she is convinced that muscles are not the enemy.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Skinnyfit.jpg

I agree with you on this one. I also don't think there is a chance in hades I could get that stomach if I tried.

As for the OP, I hope she is convinced that muscles are not the enemy.

Plus they are usually dehydrated for photo-shoot so muscles stand out more.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

When it is overboard like huge muscles on a woman I'm sorry but it does look manly. Sometimes like a man in drag. But those ladies to get so huge and bulky must be on steroids.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I didn't realise losing muscle included vital organs. I might look into exercises to elongate muscle like you said Elf_Princess1.

Callanetics (the old ones I don't know about the new ones) they really help my huge calves and my flexibility that nothing else has helped with :-)