Meal replacement shake or bars

2»

Replies

• yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    I like the EAS brand chocolate soy protien. You can buy a canister of the powder at Wal-mart for around $10 and it makes 14 shakes. It has 180 calories and 20 grams of protein. For bars my favorite are lara bars. They are around 200 calories and most have about 3 ingredients total, dates, some type of raw nut and an unsweetened fruit. You can find them in your supermarkets natural food section and they are about $1.50 per bar.
    I have a shake for breakfast everyday and it keeps me full and gives me great energy. If I didn't have it I would probably skip breakfast or eat something easy and unhealthy.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 687 Member
    I drink the occasional Slim Fast shake when I am in a hurry or when I have forgotten my breakfast or lunch and can't go out. I always keep them on hand just in case. I used to drink them daily but found myself getting bored with them after awhile
  • dizzydi1968
    dizzydi1968 Posts: 564
    I use tesco chocolate crunch bars for lunch for exactly the same reason. They are relatively cheap, portable, can be kept without a fridge and can be eaten at my desk/ in a meeting/in the car if necessary. I only replace 1 meal per day with them and have been very successful in losing/keeping off my weight.

Slimfast also do a similar version which is equally good but more expensive. The biggest loser mint/choc bar is lovely but very expensive in the UK.

I can't comment on shakes as I personally find all milk shakes to be vile.
  • Phrenetic
    Phrenetic Posts: 15
    Not trying to be a downer, but meal replacement shakes are akin to overdosing on calorie concentrated juice or having a nice sugared cola fiesta. It's all the same. Concentrated calorie packed mess that your body can't understand or process appropriately. Just finished watching The Weight of the Nation series on HBO and they specifically addressed the liquid calories issue. As a matter of fact, a doctor came right out and said that juice is horrible for you. It strips all the good fiber that regulates the hunger and blood sugar mechanisms and leaves you with nothing but the sugars that cause you to crash and crave food again with a vengeance.

My suggestion if you are short on time for lunch? Bring along some Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal (packed with protein and fiber) and a container of Greek Yogurt. You'll be more than satisfied, especially if you combine it with a nice tall glass of water.

It's been one of my go-to food choices for quite some time now.

As always, best of luck to you. So glad you are on your way to a healthier life!
  • tomhancock
    tomhancock Posts: 100 Member
    Not trying to be a downer, but meal replacement shakes are akin to overdosing on calorie concentrated juice or having a nice sugared cola fiesta. It's all the same. Concentrated calorie packed mess that your body can't understand or process appropriately. Just finished watching The Weight of the Nation series on HBO and they specifically addressed the liquid calories issue. As a matter of fact, a doctor came right out and said that juice is horrible for you. It strips all the good fiber that regulates the hunger and blood sugar mechanisms and leaves you with nothing but the sugars that cause you to crash and crave food again with a vengeance.

This is a very uninformed post. Many of the meal replacement shakes on the market have lots of fiber, protein, and very low sugar content.

190 calories of Kashi Go Lean (1 cup) has 13 grams of sugar - that is insane, its like eating two fun size snickers bars. GNC Lean shakes have 180 calories and only 4 grams of sugar, while also having the same fiber and protein as your Kashi and less fat. Thats an eight ounce shake, same size as the cup of Kashi.

Pick a healthy shake and it is a very healthy meal replacement choice, regardless of what HBO (well known fitness authority) says
  • Phrenetic
    Phrenetic Posts: 15
    If one eats a full serving of Kashi (I was thinking more along the lines of a half serving, but whatever) and it is 12% of their daily carb intake, and it prevents them from binging out on the Snickers fun bars that are being used as a point of comparison, I'd say that's generally a good thing.

Crafty use of sarcasm aside (I did smile at having concocted an uninformed post where I'd referred to HBO as a leading fitness authority), the point is if that one has a large amount of weight to lose, and one is trying to make better food choices to facilitate an overall change in lifestyle, I could certainly think of far worse things to eat than some cereal and yogurt on the go.

Are there better meals to be had, yes, of course there are. But, if the subject is one of meal replacements, I stand by my original thought, please don't "replace" a meal unless the intent is to continue along a rocky road. The body needs to chew to trigger a feeling of satisfaction.

Volume wise, two things could be equal. But when one is a solid and the other is a liquid, there is most definitely a difference.