Oatmeal

2»

Replies

• brendanstallard
    brendanstallard Posts: 59 Member
    You can put a tablespoonful of protein powder in(Optimum Nutrition, double rich chocolate is the PP I use). You can use some almond/soy milk or I know some folks who use almond or vanilla essence.

Back when I was a kid, we used to stir in a spoon of Jam, what you might call preserve in the States, but it's got a lot of sugar in it.

Oatmeal is pretty carb heavy, so it ain't quite the health magic a lot of folks think it is. No cereal is.

Good luck.

brendan
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Oatmeal is amazing. Use some sweetner and skim milk. Then add whatever you want. Raisins, cinnamon, nuts, berries, banana etc.
  • brendanstallard
    brendanstallard Posts: 59 Member
    Tiedy,

Dates...Hmmm. Interesting.

What kinda dates you use? You soak 'em overnight into the Oatmeal?

brendan
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    If you like pumpkin... I'm obsessed with this "Pumpkin Pie" oatmeal recipe that I got from someone else here on MFP.... like, obsessed.

3/4 cup of rolled oats (not quick cooking or instant oats)
    1/2 cup of canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
    1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk (I use coconut almond.. totally fine. Maybe even better.)
    1/4 tsp of pumpkin pie spice … or just a WHOLE BUNCH of cinnamon and nutmeg to taste, which is what I do
    2 packets of sweetener of your choice (I use 1-2 tsps reg sugar and 1 packet Truvia. Because I'm an artificial-sweetener hater)

Mix everything except the oats in a smallish storage container. Mix milk, pumpkin, sweetener, and spices with a fork until well blended. Add oats and mix together until fully coated with pumpkin mixture.

Cover, put in fridge overnight (or until the oats are soft). Can also be heated up, but I prefer it cold.

Here is the nutritional breakdown:

Serves 1 person

Calories - 285
    Fat - 7 g
    Carbs - 52 g
    Protein - 11 g
    Sodium - 95 g
    Fiber – 12 g

I only need one-third/half of it most mornings and a banana pre-workout, so I have the rest for the next day (if not 2)! Super quick & easy, and totally delicious and filling.
  • Asil76
    Asil76 Posts: 477 Member
    I found a recipe on here for refrigerated overnight oatmel (a huge thank you to the person who posted it) I changed it up a little.

1/4 c. rolled oats (not quick oats) or steel cut oats
    1/4 c. plain greek yogurt
    1/3 c. unsweetened almond milk

Mix together and add your fruit etc... in the morning. I add 1/2 banana and 1/2 tbsp of PB and it is delicious and very filling.

Do not heat.
  • redcut
    redcut Posts: 176
    I add honey or agave nectar i also add banana but I found you do not want to over cook it either otherwise the cardboard taste you are talking about is a lot worse.
  • GAJulie
    GAJulie Posts: 8 Member
    Also can depend on how you cook it. Instant oatmeal...if you are microwaving it, if you use a bit less water than what it calls for, then cook it for a minute and let it sit for a minute, and add a little milk to loosen it up, gives a much better texture than just adding boiling water and letting it sit for a minute.
    And experiment with different cooking methods, if you're a texture person it can greatly change how it tastes to you. (I've made it many ways, stovetop, crockpot, microwave, letting it soak overnight, etc....)
  • chergarr73
    chergarr73 Posts: 59 Member
    Lots of people are suggesting cinnamon, I would like to mention that not all cinnamon is created equal. If you are relying on it solely to flavor your oatmeal ( I do, as I don't want to add any sweetener) you need a good quality cinnamon. Get some Penzey's cinnamon, any of them (you can order it online if you don't have a store in your area) . You will be so glad you did.
    Yesterday, I wanted a savory oatmeal....made my steel cut oats and put an over easy egg on top then broke the yolk. Sprinkled it with fresh sweet basil, chives and parmesan cheese...it was pretty tasty!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    I like mine with about 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and I use almond milk on top as well. I always top it with fruit, today I had blackberries and blueberries on top. I also like strawberries on top. Sometimes I use some almonds or walnuts with the fruit, sometimes a very small portion of raisins or craisins. I like that tart taste obviously!

Some people just don't like certain foods, but don't force yourself to eat something just because people think you should be eating it or it's healthy. For example I know fish is super healthy but I absolutely refuse to eat it. I would be barfing after one bite.
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    I found a recipe on here for refrigerated overnight oatmel (a huge thank you to the person who posted it) I changed it up a little.

1/4 c. rolled oats (not quick oats) or steel cut oats
    1/4 c. plain greek yogurt
    1/3 c. unsweetened almond milk

Mix together and add your fruit etc... in the morning. I add 1/2 banana and 1/2 tbsp of PB and it is delicious and very filling.

Do not heat.

^^^^^^^^This...its a great alternative to regular oatmeal....i add a Tbsp. of honey and frozen blueberries, or banana, or strawberries....sooo good and soooo filling...many days i have it for lunch..in fact i have one in the fridge now that im going to eat for lunch!
  • Psyb3r
    Psyb3r Posts: 176 Member
    I like mine with either the sugar free coffee syrup (cinnamon brown sugar flavor) substituting for 1/3 the water, or with Smuckers sugar free blueberry syrup and 1/2 cup of blueberries on top. YUM! Or other ways to make it taste better: add a little protein (whey is what I use) powder, and some strawberries and you either have strawberries and cream oatmeal with lots of protein or, chocolate strawberry oatmeal with lots of protein. Add bananas instead of strawberries and it's just as good. Hope this helps. I love oatmeal and eat it every day. :flowerforyou: