Welcome alternative to WW

Options
2»

Replies

• ktsail
    ktsail Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have had a very similar experience with Weight Watchers. I lost quite a bit of weight with then about ten year ago and I recently gained some of it back. I joined up with them again and the Points Plus 2012 is not working at all! I lose some weight, I gain it back, then I lose it again. I have probably lost and regained the same three pounds for the past three months!

I signed up for this a while back and have decided to try this instead of Weight Watchers. If any former Weight Watchers are looking for MFP friends, feel free to add me!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I lost successfully on WW however it was very, very slow. I got stuck trying to lose the last 3-4 pound, no matter what I did it would not shift. I upped my exercise substantially and even that didn't make the weight move. So I started tracking what I was eating with MFP alongside WW points. I was surprised at how many calories I was consuming in fruit and veg a day, which on WW is classed as free food which you do not count. I reckon I was easily eating an extra 200-300 calories a day in fruit and veg. There's no wonder the weight wasn't moving. So I switched to MFP a couple of weeks ago to try and move the stubborn last pounds.

The only thing I like WW tracker for over MFP is the fact that your activity points (exercise) add up over the week and if you have use your points for the day then the extras are taken from the activity points you have earned. What I don't like about MFP is that there is no weekly count of exercise. I like to save what I earn during the week and then 'spend' the extra calories at the weekend. It's harder to track this on MFP. Unless anyone has any suggestions?

I do this as well! I find it quite easy to keep track in my head, but there are ways of doing it on MFP. One way is to change your goal calories, which you can do manually as you don't have to accept MFP defalut settings. So you could say set 1200 as your target, changing it on Sunday evening. Then come Thursday you could change it again to to say 2000. As long as you have an overall deficit for the week (3,500 for 1 lb a week weight loss).

Another way is to look at the reports section - if you choose nutrition over the last 7 days it will show you a bar graph, and this is a handy visual guide to which days you've been under your calorie target and by how much.

Good luck.
  • chrissyrn04
    chrissyrn04 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Im a WW convert aswell... very happy at mfp!
  • Mollyisone
    Mollyisone Posts: 8
    Options
    I too lost and regained on WW. I was looking for an Android app for my new phone which would help me kick start my diet. I've since learned that WW don't do an android app in the UK but only for IPhone !! so glad I didn't sign up to their on line service again.

MFP is great, exactly what I am looking for.
  • LuckySig
    LuckySig Posts: 5
    Options
    I LOVE MFP as an alternative for WW!! It is keeping me on track (well today is my first day) and it is EASY to use and very supportive community!!!
  • spanglevie
    spanglevie Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I lost successfully on WW however it was very, very slow. I got stuck trying to lose the last 3-4 pound, no matter what I did it would not shift. I upped my exercise substantially and even that didn't make the weight move. So I started tracking what I was eating with MFP alongside WW points. I was surprised at how many calories I was consuming in fruit and veg a day, which on WW is classed as free food which you do not count. I reckon I was easily eating an extra 200-300 calories a day in fruit and veg. There's no wonder the weight wasn't moving. So I switched to MFP a couple of weeks ago to try and move the stubborn last pounds.

The only thing I like WW tracker for over MFP is the fact that your activity points (exercise) add up over the week and if you have use your points for the day then the extras are taken from the activity points you have earned. What I don't like about MFP is that there is no weekly count of exercise. I like to save what I earn during the week and then 'spend' the extra calories at the weekend. It's harder to track this on MFP. Unless anyone has any suggestions?

I do this as well! I find it quite easy to keep track in my head, but there are ways of doing it on MFP. One way is to change your goal calories, which you can do manually as you don't have to accept MFP defalut settings. So you could say set 1200 as your target, changing it on Sunday evening. Then come Thursday you could change it again to to say 2000. As long as you have an overall deficit for the week (3,500 for 1 lb a week weight loss).

Another way is to look at the reports section - if you choose nutrition over the last 7 days it will show you a bar graph, and this is a handy visual guide to which days you've been under your calorie target and by how much.

Good luck.

Thanks for that. At the moment I've just been using the weekly graph as a guide. And hoping the the average at the end of the week is somewhere near what it should be. I exercise a lot and don't end up eating all of the exercise calories back. So i usually end up under my calories for the week. But I know my body and I know if I eat more (as some would suggest) this will result in a gain for me.