Kettlebells

Options
hgam1
hgam1 Posts: 237 Member
I am surprised there is no "kettlebells" listed under the exercise log. I am sure lots of people on here would have done kettlebells. Does anyone know how to set it up or how I can log it?

Many thanks for your help.
H:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Morticia_Mama
    Morticia_Mama Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP as well and was just looking for Kettlebells - was surprised that it wasn't listed!
  • jfm69
    jfm69 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I added it to my exercise but I'm not real sure on the calorie burn. I read somewhere that 20 calories a minute is about right, but I log it as less since I don't want to overestimate. I'm eager to know what others have to say as well.
  • tamsinwhitfield
    tamsinwhitfield Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Presumably you're just doing standard exercises with the aid of a kettlebell though (much as you would dumbbells)? I just log individually using the weight of the kettlebell (e.g. 3x reps 20 squats 8kg worth of kettlebell), etc. etc. and track under strength training. Unless you're looking for calorific values?
  • ktfitzgerald
    ktfitzgerald Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I used my HRM and figured it out to be about 16-18 calories a minute for me. I usually just log it as 10 to be on the safe side.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    if you don't have an HRM to calculate your burn, you can use 'circuit training' or strength training .. depending on how strenuously you work out
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    If it's just lifting the bell it would go under weight lifting. If it's kettlebell swing, it goes under cardio...you can burn up to 1200 calories an hour in a very intense kettlebell swing workout.....I love it!
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Kettlebells. The average of 20cals per minute is correct though using a HRM is the best way to get the calories burned. I bought the Kettleworx program about 2 months ago and just have to say that I :heart: it!

Here is information that I found on the calories burned.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20100212/kettlebell-workouts-burn-calaories-fast
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    At 5'2" .... 118 lbs, I burn about 400 an hour doing kettlebell with my hrm. If you are taller and weigh more you are going to burn more than that... gives you a rough idea! Without an HRM it is impossible to know!
  • bushs99
    bushs99 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM when doing kettlebell and will generally burn around a 1000 calories in an hour. Since it's not in the MFP list of exercises you can created it under the "My exercise" tab.
  • DarcieC2389
    DarcieC2389 Posts: 146
    Options
    How do some of you do an hour of kettle bells? My muscles get tired after doing 15 minutes! I guess it would depend on the weight. Mine is 10 lbs.
  • Chocolicious_Lifestyle
    Options
    I was thinking the samething, i dont want to add the wrong details this might help http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20100212/kettlebell-workouts-burn-calaories-fast