Random act of kindness!

Options
Walking through York on my lunch break and I walked past a doorway which was set back from the street. Sat in the doorway was a homeless man, sat on a bag with everything that he owns, crying with his head in his hands. I walked past him and straight into boots where I bought the most filling sandwich I could find. I took it back to the man and I asked if he was hungry. He told me I was the first person who had spoken to him in over a week. He started to cry and said he was very lonely and scared and people spit and p*ss on him when hes trying to sleep at night. He was incredibly grateful for the £1.50 sandwich I bought him as otherwise he wouldn't have eaten. His name was Tim. Seriously makes you realise how good we all have it!!!

Replies

• migoi357
    migoi357 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Wonderful act of kindness. A lollipop moment... http://www.ted.com/talks/drew_dudley_everyday_leadership.html

t
  • MogwaisGrandma
    MogwaisGrandma Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    When I used to go into Manchester on the train there was a guy and his dog who used to be sat not far from the station. He used to ask for money to buy his dog food so I started carrying cans of dog food with me. I stopped getting the train in a while ago but I still have a tin of dog food in my cupboard, just in case.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    That is a great story, you have a very kind heart!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    the world needs more people like you. :heart:
  • AHealthyMe1lbAtATime
    AHealthyMe1lbAtATime Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    That deserves a huge RAK award for yourself... I hope someone repays you some day with a RAK too!!
  • FerryfieldLad
    FerryfieldLad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Lovely story!

I took a guy I met who was living in a shed at the bottom of a garden for breakfast, took him to a cafe and told him he could have whatever he wanted! He was happy and it made me happy!

Thanks for sharing!
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Great thing you did. :flowerforyou:
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I have done the same in the past, giving people food. That was a good thing to do and I am sure he appreciated your kindness.

On the other side of the coin.

I was in Bath waiting for the bus last week when a lady came up and sat on the bench crying. I said are you ok? can I help? She stood up and yelled "Oh P*ss of you nosy cow" and marched off. Charming. :ohwell:
  • NK203
    NK203 Posts: 35
    Options
    We do! Thanks for the reminder. Great story. The impact of what we do, whether kind or cruel, is far reaching.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I try to give when I can :) My youngest was with me one day and we passed a guy at the intersection in a wheel chair. I had just sold back some bucks and had some extra money so I turned around and went back to the grocery store and bought some peanut butter crackers, water, a box of little debbies (for some reason he reminded of an uncle that had passed and said unlce loved these) then went by Mcd's and orders a large combo and took it to the guy, he was very grateful and as I was pulling off I noticed more people stopped to give him money , food , ect. ..My daughter asked me why I did this I told her b/c you never pass up a chance to help someone that has it worse than yourself b/c you never know when you'll need the help and you would want someone to not just drive pass you. My dad gets on to me all the time about stopping and giving away food..
  • CookieGem
    CookieGem Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I guess I wanted to tell my little lunch time story as it might inspire more people to also do random acts of kindness. You never know whats around the corner and when we might need help. A small act of kindness, even a smile could have more of a impact than you might think :o)
  • chesneyfan01
    chesneyfan01 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your kind heart! :heart:
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    You have a very kind heart. The world would be a much better place if everyone just did one random act of kindness a week (although one a day would be better).

I have been on the receiving end of a random act of kindness. It touched my heart with so much joy. I have never forgotten this act and am always doing random acts of kindness to others. It's the small things in life that make the most difference. We volunteer as a family. I am raising my son to know that life is a gift and we should be gratefull for what we have.

I am a true believer in what goes around comes around. Thank you for sharing your story.
  • cwatson1214
    cwatson1214 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Wonderful pick me up today.....thanks.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    One year for Christmas, my then 7 year old son got $40 from his aunt. (she gave it to him early) They were doing random acts of Christmas on a local radio station, and he heard the broadcast. He asked me if we could look up a family in need because he wanted to donate his $40 to them. We looked up a local family and then took him shopping to pick out some things for the kids. He managed to purchase hat/glove sets for both kids, and even a small toy for each. He wanted to buy a turkey for them too, but didn't have enough money, so we bought both a ham and a turkey for them. When I told the salesclerk what my 7 year old was doing, she broke down and cried. My son has always been a giver, and he is such an inspiration.
  • Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    I've been at the other end of RAOK before. The people didn't have to do what they did, but they did and I'll never forget them. I always try to pass on help to others in any way that I can. I need to start keeping a bag of canned goods and canned dog food in my trunk. That way if I see someone that is homeless I can pass it along. Thank you for what you did.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    On a night out once I tried to share a pizza with a homeless guy.

He told me to pi$$ off and get my own....selfish....
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    ohhh this is so sad. the homeless people here in New York mostly try to rob you if you talk to them :(
  • J3SSP3NNY
    J3SSP3NNY Posts: 235
    Options
    You are a wonderful person! <3

That poor man :(
  • Denise6914
    Denise6914 Posts: 176
    Options
    That's a wonderful thing you did!