Why do I feel like this isn't happening..?

Options
2»

Replies

• MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    it just takes a while for our brains and eyes to catch up with reality. i often still look at myself and see the version that was 25 lb heavier, so i understand. we get used to seeing ourselvse looking a certain way and sometimes it is hard to readjust our mental image to our physical image.
  • imjessly
    imjessly Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I feel as though a lot of people have missed the point of the topic...? :ohwell:

Its about not feeling like you've really achieved much even though part of you knows you have.
  • imjessly
    imjessly Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    it just takes a while for our brains and eyes to catch up with reality. i often still look at myself and see the version that was 25 lb heavier, so i understand. we get used to seeing ourselvse looking a certain way and sometimes it is hard to readjust our mental image to our physical image.

This

I think it probably goes the other way as well, when people don't understand how they let themselves get this far gone, you look for what you want to see in the mirror, rather than what is there.
  • MJ7910
    Options

This

I think it probably goes the other way as well, when people don't understand how they let themselves get this far gone, you look for what you want to see in the mirror, rather than what is there.

yes! i think the reality for me set in that i needed to lose weight when i saw a video of myself... wow that was a scary reality... so i lost the 25 lb yet somehow i kind of see a heavier person now even though i'm lighter... maybe i dont' see the heaviest version of me, but somewhere in between if that makes sense.
  • KrystleKiri
    KrystleKiri Posts: 135
    Options
    I'm not saying that I'm not happy with what I've done. I'm not saying that I'm "upset" for only losing 12 pounds so far. I know I've been kicking *kitten* lol the numbers are on my side. It is a matter of being in total disbelief that I'm on a diet that's WORKING. It's actually going well, and I'm losing weight! I haven't lost weight in years. This is amazing, and I can't believe it's happening, and sometimes, I legitimately don't think that it is actually happening.
  • MJ7910
    Options
    I'm not saying that I'm not happy with what I've done. I'm not saying that I'm "upset" for only losing 12 pounds so far. I know I've been kicking *kitten* lol the numbers are on my side. It is a matter of being in total disbelief that I'm on a diet that's WORKING. It's actually going well, and I'm losing weight! I haven't lost weight in years. This is amazing, and I can't believe it's happening, and sometimes, I legitimately don't think that it is actually happening.

yes, i know what you mean. i have dreams that i'll wake up and i didn't really lose the weight... but i think 12 lb is great and you are succeeding. you jsut have to find a way to convince yourself taht you are. have you bought new clothes recently? taht can be a huge boost of confidence.
  • Por2gueseMama
    Por2gueseMama Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The scale can add to the discuragement. I have the same issue I just try not to weight myself as much ive even tried not weighing myself for a whole month and it didnt workout as well as i thought but i only weighed myself every other wee and i like the fact i saw better bigger results. I think you should just start to measure youself I bet it would make you fel better about yourself!!
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options

Ah, ok. In that case I did indeed misinterpret your original post. I totally agree with this as I never thought I could lose weight but am in fact doing so. Congratulations on your progress so far, I know you'll achieve your goals.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options

Right there with you:) Great job on your progress so far! Some mornings I go to put on my pants which are a smaller size and I truly expect them not to fit (even though I just wore them the week before). You will get there with the feeling of accomplishment and being proud. I just told my husband the other day that I'm so proud of myself! Good luck!!!
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    The scale is nearly (if not completely) useless for some people and you might be one of them. Measure yourself by how your clothes fit and/or tape measure.

See this post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/580019-the-scale-is-a-lying-torture-device-i-m-proof
  • TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I don't know; but I feel the same way --often. I've only lost 15 pounds (7 since starting MFP) and I just feel like it's exactly the same. My clothes are much more comfortable, I was fitted into a smaller dress size when I bought my wedding gown, people have been complimenting me, but I just can't see it.
    BUT...imagine if you (or I) had gained 12 pounds (or 15)! We'd both be singing a different tune. I think we need to focus on our success and silence the inner critic