Brother's Girlfriend... driving me NUTS!

Options
I'm going to rant a little bit here, I'm sure - this topic ALWAYS gets me fired up! Please be honest in your responses.

Ok so a little background... My brother and his GF have been together about 4 years. She moved in with him and she USED to be a really great person, we'd go get our hair done, go shopping, talk on the phone, talk about problems, etc. You get the point, we were kind of close. Well when I started eating healthy last year (around January) - she would tell me about people at work and how they look good and she was very supportive. I fell off the wagon for a little bit and she didn't encourage me to get back on - so i gained about 15 lbs back.

My dad took us on a fishing trip last year in June and we would joke around about the "fat" pictures... they really weren't that bad but we would find the tiniest thing and complain (typical girls). So probably around August, she decided she was going to start "dieting". I was very supportive as I needed to be doing the same. Well by Christmas she lost about 40 lbs and looked awesome, I on the other hand lost about 10 lbs but felt good. She would say things like "my big pants don't fit me anymore, these are a size 8" or "I don't understand how a size 8 in women's could be the same as a 13 in juniors"... just stuff like that to get under my skin. She would say it in front of my mom too, who was on Weight Watchers for years and lost about 70 lbs but put back on about 30 but she's healthy and struggles with her weight too.

Here is where the real rant comes in... Every time I see her she ALWAYS has to mention about how much weight she's lost and what size pants she wears! Seriously! A little courtesy for the ones who struggle... We went over to their house about 2-3 weeks ago to watch WWE and she made pizza and buffalo chicken bites. I had about 3 bites and 1 slice of pizza - she had 2 bites and says "is the pizza good, i don't know if i'm going to eat it". Like WTF?!?! Whenever she got up to get a drink she would make a snotty pose so everyone would look at her and her new body (down about 50-60 lbs now). Then before we left she says to me, "what size shirt are you".... my response "it depends on how its made, sometimes M, L or XL", she goes "oh well you remember the time we went shopping at Old Navy and bought those tank tops, well mine looks like a night gown on me" she goes to get it, holds it up and says "see" folds it back up and says "here you can have it" AHHH!!! I wanted to deck her but instead i said "thank you" and we left.

I know this girl does not exercise - i can out walk, run, jog her. She never has - she claims her weight loss came from cutting back on her portions. When she comes over for holidays and when we go out, she eats pretty much for someone cutting back. It's so frustrating.

On Friday we're going to Hershey Park for my fiance's birthday (me, my fiance, brother, and his GF)... I hope I don't get tempted to push her off a rollercoaster... j/k - i would never do that, i don't have that many mean bones in my body!

I'm not jealous, I'm actually happy for her - but she's not healthy and she ALWAYS rubs it in to me and my mom about her pants size or her shirt size. Or she'll say "my old clothes don't fit, maybe you can come down and try them on". She would wear her big jackets at Christmas time and say "I can't believe how much weight I lost"... just things like that. Whenever we leave, I tell my fiance, I feel like crying because she's so inconsiderate of my struggles.

Oh, and we don't talk on the phone anymore, we don't go shopping, we don't get our hair cut together... i send her a text message to see if she wants to hang out and she'll say "yeah, I have off" but then when I ask if she wants to do a pedi or something she never responds! Not as cool as she once was, that kind of hurts too...

Am I over-reacting? Please give me some thoughts as I'm spending ALL day with her on Friday!

Replies

• AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I think you should find a way to talk to her about this... It may not be easy, but in order to keep yourself from going crazy over her insensitivity I think it needs to be done. MAYBE she doesn't realize how she is coming off??? Long shot I am sure, but maybe...

This reminds me of getting clothes from my grandma a while back...

Gram: "I sent some clothes up to you. I hope you are not offended by getting OLD LADY CLOTHES from me."
    Me: "Ha ha gram, I'm sure they are not OLD LADY CLOTHES, you have a very nice style. Thank you"
    Gram: "Oh good, I'm glad you feel that way! They are just plain HUGE and I am sure that they will fit you."
    Me: :huh: