How much sodium do you have each day? Help please

Options
I know a lot of people are concerned with carbs and fats when using this program. I know I have been conscious more of what I eat but sodium still has be somewhat concerned. I rarely go over what they allow me but should my focus be in other areas? Help please : )

Replies

• Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'm interested in this as well.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Since I live on the road and eat almost exclusively in restaurants I am getting way too much sodium. It's something I am going to have to work on.
  • DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Sodium is my WORST enemy :grumble:
    I try to stay at or under what MFP specifies. I find if I go over then my wt goes WAYYY UP :angry:
    Try to avoid processed foods...cook fresh foods, veggies, cook your own chicken etc...and drink plenty of water :drinker:
    Hope this helps :smile:
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    As long as I have potassium rich foods in my diet I dont worry about sodium. Your main focus should be on CALORIES. The only fats I would be worried about are trans fats other than that.....fats are not the enemy.
  • saiabone
    saiabone Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ok I feel like I am definitively doing a lot better with tracking and looking at what I am actually eating... My diary is open...this process is all new to me and I'm learning as I go
  • saiabone
    Options
    I also take a multi vitamin, calcium, vitamin D and an Iron pill
  • WhatDoesLisa
    WhatDoesLisa Posts: 214
    Options
    I have high blood pressure so sodium is a primary concern to me. I don't buy canned foods if I can avoid it. I try to cook for myself as much as possible and I don't salt my food. It is easy to make your own soup and marinara!

Trust me this was difficult because I LOVE salt! But, since I have cut down, my BP has been good for about a year now on the lowest dose of medicine. I am hoping that increased exercise can get me off of it.
  • saiabone
    Options
    That's great I hope you can get off of it too.... My blood pressure is rather low some days its 80/60 other days it can get as high as 106/64
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    The healthy maximum is 2.5g a day. It's not one of my main macros but I do keep an eye on it. My cooker broke a while ago and I had to rely on microwave ready meals - I couldn't believe how much sodium's in them!!! Or come to that how bad they taste and how unfilling they are for the calories in them! Most days my sodium intake is quite low as I don't eat any junk or processed food really. However I love Chinese and Japanese food, which does tend to be salty, so there are days when I'm way over... I just figure that if it averages out to an acceptable figure then that's OK.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I keep mine no higher than 1,500 on average. If I creep towards 2,000, it's usually because I've had to eat out or have something prepackaged. Medically it is recommended to go no higher than 2,500.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I don't track it, 3 nutrients to manage + some micros is enough.
    Why do you guys track it ?
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I have high blood pressure so sodium is a primary concern to me. I don't buy canned foods if I can avoid it. I try to cook for myself as much as possible and I don't salt my food. It is easy to make your own soup and marinara!

Trust me this was difficult because I LOVE salt! But, since I have cut down, my BP has been good for about a year now on the lowest dose of medicine. I am hoping that increased exercise can get me off of it.

Keep working at it. I do the above and I also eat unsalted almonds (24 a day with 6 or 8 almonds to a serving).

Check this out if you are interested: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=20

FYI, my salt usually comes in a 1/2 or less what is recommended. My prev B/P was 167/116 and is now 137/96 (@ 135 lbs it is 135/89ish). So I am no longer taking meds.
  • WhatDoesLisa
    WhatDoesLisa Posts: 214
    Options
    Great, thanks for the info!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I know my calories and I finally mastered my protein levels. I am now concentrating on sodium bc I eat way too much of it and even with all the water I drink, I fight bloat and retention constantly and I feel like crap. Yesterday was the first day in a long time I was under 2500 and I woke up feeling amazing and could tell I lost all the retention I was holding over the last few days. Salt also makes me crave other things and not eating it in large amounts has helped curb those.
  • saiabone
    Options
    Thanks guys! Ya I try to eat fresh as much as possible but it really does add up when adding processed food!
  • saiabone
    Options
    The bloating I also get even going under 2500 I still tend to bloat up
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I have my goal set to 1,800mg a day. If i exceed it i make sure to consume raw apple cider vinegar mixed with water. it helps with water retention.
  • acg1305
    acg1305 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MontagneGitane
    MontagneGitane Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I keep mine no higher than 1,500 on average. If I creep towards 2,000, it's usually because I've had to eat out or have something prepackaged. Medically it is recommended to go no higher than 2,500.

Same here. I personally think 2,500 is high. I can definitely feel/see a difference, and not a good one, when I go over 2,000.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Ok I feel like I am definitively doing a lot better with tracking and looking at what I am actually eating... My diary is open...this process is all new to me and I'm learning as I go

Actually your diary isn't open. Happy to give constructive feedabck if you do open it.