Female taking Whey Protein for first time...

Options
Hi everyone,

So I just purchased some Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey as I've read about the benefits of proetin shakes too many times to ignore....

Anyhoo, I just wondered when would be a good time to have the shake? I presume only on workout days? I exercise in the evenings and usually have dinner straight afterwards, so am wondering if mid-afternoon would be a good idea. Say 2-3 hours before going to the gym?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Replies

• rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm as far from an expert as they come, but in my limited research it seems the best time is 30-60 minutes after workout when your body is primed to accept the carbs and protein to rebuild muscle.

On another note, I love mixing my protein powder with vanilla almond milk and frozen blueberries! I workout in the morning and it makes a yummy breakfast!
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    If I'm working out in the evening right before dinner I try to drink one about an hour before I go tot he gym. Otherwise I drink one if my protien is low for the day or I need a post workout boost (right after is best). I'm not a big fan of meal replacement, but if I am low on time or groceries (see today's diary) I have one in the morning to start my day. I guess I kind of use it to supplement my diet as needed, definitely on workout days, but also on off days if I'm low on protien and don't have the calories to chow on a steak.
  • sozzell
    sozzell Posts: 166
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.

On the days I have a run during the day I will take the protein straight after doing so; but on my gym days I think I will try an hour or so before I go because I eat my evening meal as soon as I get back from the gym.

I'm not using as a meal replacement as I didn't think that's what whey protein was for - more to supplement as you say. I'm sure I read somewhere that using it to replace a morning or afternoon snack is best?

I too will be using almond milk, homemade I may add! ;-)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes pretty much daily. I usually have one for breakfast. and I often have a protein shake after an intense work out - I also make protein powder snacks at night.... mix some protein powder with peanut butter - freeze for a few minutes - YUM. Or you can mix a tad bit of water with protein powder to make a paste, and freeze that - it's yum too. you can check out my diary if you like. My morning protein shakes typically include canned pumpkin, black beans, cocoa powder, chocolate protein powder, almond milk, ice. :)